Are Coaches The Scapegoats??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Its a tough call but the sport is based on results & the axe seems to fall pretty close to the coach when the chips are down.
Its especially tough in cases like this where a club legend who bleeds Manly, is under the pump & we all know damn well he is giving it 100% as he did on the field.
The facts are the team has been on a downward spiral for a while, but is it only Toovey to blame??
Theres many contributing factors including injuries, inhouse politics, players dithering over contracts, media ambush & as the demtel man would say "but wait - theres more"
The only issues I am concerned about is - Do the players want to play for him....& the odd selection, but thats always debatable in every team
The funny thing I see about these coaching credentials being based on results - certain coaches get an elite squad with several rep players & are hailed as the best coach, when in actual fact, any local park coach would win with the talent they have on the field.
A bigger effort for mine (& I hate Illawarra) is the McGregor effort getting a team who is rightfully a spoon battler, to compete in every game - getting his troops to play with massive intensity to defy teams that you would expect them to get smashed by.
As a sports buff I done this thread in reaction to every team in various sports I support - the coach is under the pump & I have mixed feelings on everything being the coaches fault - Manly its Toovey - Liverpool its Rodgers & Carlton its that old grey headed fella.
Maybe my opinion has been transformed in recent times, but in professional sports, change is part of moving forward - I am a massive Toovey fan but the fact is, unless theres a massive immediate turnaround on the field - changes are inevitable.

I agree that it is unfair what they do to coaches these days. Toovey is the scapegoat for our clubs board stuffing things up firstly over the non contract offer to Gifty, then the toxic Whatmough decision to leave followed on by our halves going after the club badly mismanaged the negotiations.

I think the telling thing is that when our halves were close to deciding, Toovey seemed totally out of the loop and not informed of what was going on. I have an awful feeling this decision to cut Toovey was made when Bozo was brought it to assess it all.

The club MUST treat Toovey well now. A failure to do that will ensure the wrath of our fans and members!

Sacking a known winning coach (& club legend) after his team has been decimated by freak injuries all year !
Yeah ,I think Tooves is the Scapiest of scapegoats.
I love it when people make up words to drive home a point. "Scapiest"!! Well played @robbiea !!

And I agree that coaches cop the short end of the stick. Tooves' has not had a full strength squad at ANY point this season. We are running players out of position, there's been no time for combinations to develop and flourish and defensively the same thing applies: it's hard to trust the guys either side of you if its someone different every game. With a bit of continuity comes the "gelling" of the squad into an integrated unit, rather than a collection of talented footballers.

As mentioned, Mick Malthouse is a classic case. Over THREE DECADES of coaching experience and success: one bad season and he's axed. He didn't forget how to coach. He perhaps didn't have the cattle, and I guess this is where a "supercoach" should shine but as it turns out he gets axed.

Sadly coaches will always be the scapegoats. Always have been, always will be.

If a team isn't performing who is it easier to get rid of, the team or the coach?

I wonder, if we hadn't been hit with so many injuries and weren't sitting on the bottom of the ladder (i.e we were where we usually are at or near the top).....would Tooves be under so much pressure?

coaches may be scapegoats when times are tough but players can lose their jobs even after winning a GF

Blaming is backward thinking. Planning is forward thinking. Blaming is simplistic, black-and-white thinking. Good planning needs more complex thinking.

Some combinations, and some individuals fit a particular plan, others don't. And these individuals and combinations need to change as the demands of the situation change.

Toovey is the scapegoat for our clubs board stuffing things up
As an outsider my best guess is that its the job of the head coach to have a committed and united playing squad.

The reasons fractures began to occur is almost irrelevant. There's always some issue or other at any club at any given time. Hasler for example was very good at overcoming side issues that might derail a team, and Toovey himself did an admirable job under trying circumstances for two and a half years, but it does seem things started to unravel late last year and if so a fresh start with a new head coach is required.

I hope Manly goes on a winning run starting tonight and makes the finals again, but I suspect that even if that occurs Toovey would step down for next year.

When you really want to retain your main players but they choose to leave, that is a sign in itself that something needs fixing.

As an outsider my best guess is that its the job of the head coach to have a committed and united playing squad.

The reasons fractures began to occur is almost irrelevant. There's always some issue or other at any club at any given time. Hasler for example was very good at overcoming side issues that might derail a team, and Toovey himself did an admirable job under trying circumstances for two and a half years, but it does seem things started to unravel late last year and if so a fresh start with a new head coach is required.

I hope Manly goes on a winning run starting tonight and makes the finals again, but I suspect that even if that occurs Toovey would step down for next year.

When you really want to retain your main players but they choose to leave, that is a sign in itself that something needs fixing.
As much as I love Toovey and for what he has done for this club, I have to agree with you on this. There is no doubt been deep divisions for some time, it is obvious that the togetherness that was the heart of the teams success is not there now like it once was.

Realistically nobody that works in league has any job security. Players, coaches, CEOs, other officials. They are regularly sacked, moved on, shafted, poached.

The buck stops with the coach. We haven't looked real committed all year.. Granted injuries have cursed us this year, but there appears to be a lack of cohesiveness in the team, we have shown glimpses but not consistent. There was a clear breakdown in communication last year between Toovs and some players which has carried over this year. Unfortunately Toovs will be gone very soon.

The rumours of Toovey's sacking started as soon as the Penns got control of the board.

Scott Penn denied them at that time.

If sacking him was always on the agenda, which is seeming increasingly likely, the team's poor form to date this season has been pretty convenient in getting the fans to come around to accepting a new coach.

At the start of the season, Toovey's coaching record was not one of someone who should be in danger of the sack. I am really suspicious of anyone who would have considered getting rid of him at that time.

So much easier to replace a coach than his team.. So much easier to replace a prime minister then his caucus. Look at the EPL and all the managers that get the sack. They all eventually get it.

"It's alright for you blokes"........

In other words no, was sharpe a scape goat?

scapegoat_585w_GIF.gif

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4