ARE 3RD PARTY AGREEMENTS RICH CLUB RORTS OF THE SALARY CAP

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
I'm watching with much interest some of the deals made by clubs such as Sydney City and more recently Brisbane and wonder if many of their deals are heavily supplemented by 3rd party agreements. Sydney City apparently has not had to lose one of their premiership group and are still looking to supplement their squad. And I just read of a fully paid trip to the USA for 'team bonding' purposes. Brisbane are scooping up the cream of younger star players including Barba and Milford, while they negotiate for Cherry-Evans on the sly and are making a play for Cameron Smith and Karmichael Hunt. That's despite the fact that they had an almost full salary cap this year and have not lost many players.

I can only assume that the Third Party rule is being rorted by the wealthier clubs giving them almost unlimited monies to procure the best players around. Some clubs of course who have strong corporate interest can easily hide any association with the club to gain accreditation as a third party participant. Smaller clubs of course dont have that advantage.

Surely this is not what the salary cap was meant to do. I have been a strong opponent of the salary cap alone system without some definite value given to players at different levels of worth or a draft system which I realise has its own problems. But if this 3rd party system isnt carefully monitored, wealthier teams will again dominate the league year after year.

Lockyer was supposed to have been on $250,000. As soon as Brisbane claimed that there should have been an enquiry into their financial dealings.

Broncos also complain that they have too many sponsors.
They say that because of the large amount of sponsors they have, it reduces the pool of third party agreements they can arrange for their players, as a sponsor cannot be involved in a third party agreement,go figure.

Was Shayne Hayne included in Easts salary cap last season? Until the NRL boot out internal 'auditors' like Shubert and contract out the auditing of the salary cap to one of the big four, there will always be a smell around the these clubs who can attract huge third party agreements. However I can't see that happening with the likes of Greenberg employed. There just doesn't seem to be the will to dig into the mire.

Not only have Chooks retained their whole squad aside from O'Donnell who just retired, they have added French forward Remy Casti who is highly regarded.

I've said it before....1000 members @ $100....We keep who we want.....The roosters players (as in other $$$ flush clubs) have their houses done up, by non sponsors...have cars supplied by non sponsors....all OK....because that's the way it is

Bearfax said:
I'm watching with much interest some of the deals made by clubs such as Sydney City and more recently Brisbane and wonder if many of their deals are heavily supplemented by 3rd party agreements. Sydney City apparently has not had to lose one of their premiership group and are still looking to supplement their squad. And I just read of a fully paid trip to the USA for 'team bonding' purposes. Brisbane are scooping up the cream of younger star players including Barba and Milford, while they negotiate for Cherry-Evans on the sly and are making a play for Cameron Smith and Karmichael Hunt. That's despite the fact that they had an almost full salary cap this year and have not lost many players.

I can only assume that the Third Party rule is being rorted by the wealthier clubs giving them almost unlimited monies to procure the best players around. Some clubs of course who have strong corporate interest can easily hide any association with the club to gain accreditation as a third party participant. Smaller clubs of course dont have that advantage.

Surely this is not what the salary cap was meant to do. I have been a strong opponent of the salary cap alone system without some definite value given to players at different levels of worth or a draft system which I realise has its own problems. But if this 3rd party system isnt carefully monitored, wealthier teams will again dominate the league year after year.
It is a very real problem and something that needs to be addressed by the NRL. With Todd running the show however, I have absolutely no faith in anything being done.

Politis, Greenburg and the likes will continue to feather their own nests, no matter how blatantly obvious it is to anyone that takes the slightest interest in rugby league. Then one day when the stench of the filth and corruptness becomes overwhelming, and the pressure of their self glorifying ways becomes to heavy, they will simply resign and move on with no questions to answer, leaving the game itself gasping for breath and the loyal fans screaming for justice.

I guess the game will survive and the fans will have to do their best, keeping their fingers tightly crossed that their club can battle on through adversity, and one day get to compete on a level playing field.

Shame NRL. Shame.

All monies paid should be transperant and available for all to see. If the total amount players are paid exceed say 120% of the cap then that club must pay a luxury tax of say 50% on the money they are over the cap. The player gets his cash, the club plays the tax.
The tax should go to the poorer clubs.

If you can believe the stories that money bill williams is getting 650,000 in the cap and 650,00 from T P A s
The nrl have said we need to keep players like him in the game . So does that mean they turn a blind eye to some of the T P A s that are around him.
I would like to know.

DSM5 said:
Was Shayne Hayne included in Easts salary cap last season? Until the NRL boot out internal 'auditors' like Shubert and contract out the auditing of the salary cap to one of the big four, there will always be a smell around the these clubs who can attract huge third party agreements. However I can't see that happening with the likes of Greenberg employed. There just doesn't seem to be the will to dig into the mire.

Comment of the year

I don't see the problem.

TPA's should be included in the cap.

There should be zero capacity for any club to use geographical isolation as an unfair advantage to bolster their playing stocks.

Also someone at the club has to be personally liable for the fines for cap breaches. You'd be amazed how vigilant people can be when it's their own asses on the line.

And as mentioned, out source the auditing. Schubert shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the job. Once a rooter, always a rooter. He had no idea about GI and his boats. It was stumbled upon by blind luck ala Inspector Clouseau.

what doesnt help the situation, is that it appears there have been massive changes in the amount a club can pay in third parties. The NRL needs to promote the info more readily as with any rule changes. You dont want your fans up in arms ever, but tou dont want them blowing their stack because a rule or system was changed and they are not aware

I still think a 30 minute show to kick off the season with a NRL analyst explaining the new rules etc

Actually it will probably be a mini series with the endless changes year after year

Greenturd would have had a hand in arranging a lot of the third party payments for the current Dogs squad so I doubt he'll want to be exposing how that is done or what players are really being paid over the salary cap anytime soon.

Half pregnant salary cap. Shambles. It's OK for some to have exempt third parties deals but it's a salary cap crime for others.

Bring in a points system for the top 25 ranked players every year, they get paid whatever they are worth in the market and clubs must have the money secured on each and every contract.

silvertail said:
Half pregnant salary cap. Shambles. It's OK for some to have exempt third parties deals but it's a salary cap crime for others.

Bring in a points system for the top 25 ranked players every year, they get paid whatever they are worth in the market and clubs must have the money secured on each and every contract.

Actually Silvertail a club can pay them whatever they like with the rating system because if a player has a value rating in monetary terms with a salary cap included, they can still only have players based on that rating that when added together reach the cap. If they want to pay the player extra thats their business but they cant buy up all the best players for a song within the cap and then pay a fortune with third party arrangements. Personally I would also have a draft system if it could be agreed to by all parties.

Im pretty sure the NRL/9 funded some TPA with $BW. His little clips etc that they aired would not have been made for free, thats for sure, my guess is 6 figures just for the clips.

The bongos have the thoroughbreds - a group of influential businessmen not all of them are sponsors (even though they get sponsor treatment). My guess is a lot of these guys are the 3rd party's.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6