Applications for Coach of Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
It appears as if Des is to go at the end of 2012. As a professional he will give 100% next year and it will also allow for a smooth transition.

Some people are assuming that Tooves is a certainty to replace Des but does he want the job? Is he the best man for the position.

As a professional club, surely we will advertise far and wide, seeking to get the best applicant for the position.

Manly has a strong history of appointing coaches closely related to the club but the process must be transparent and well done to ensure the best possible candidate gets the job. Stability and certainty early next season will ensure that players will know what is going on and recruitment etc can take place.

Canteen Worker said:
It appears as if Des is to go at the end of 2012. As a professional he will give 100% next year and it will also allow for a smooth transition.

Some people are assuming that Tooves is a certainty to replace Des but does he want the job? Is he the best man for the position.

As a professional club, surely we will advertise far and wide, seeking to get the best applicant for the position.

Manly has a strong history of appointing coaches closely related to the club but the process must be transparent and well done to ensure the best possible candidate gets the job. Stability and certainty early next season will ensure that players will know what is going on and recruitment etc can take place.
As a professional club we should not let Des coach next year it is time to get a coach and let him develop a relationship with the players. I have no doubt Des would do a great job next year but for the future of the club we should move on now. I just wish we new this earlier as Ivan Cleary a manly boy would have been another option

it has to be an insider

can't be anyone who hasnt played for us.
It just doesnt work.

There's not many coaches off contract in 2013, so we culd go for a caretaker role until a legit name comes up or we can buy jim dymock

Jolores said:
As a professional club we should not let Des coach next year it is time to get a coach and let him develop a relationship with the players. I have no doubt Des would do a great job next year but for the future of the club we should move on now. I just wish we new this earlier as Ivan Cleary a manly boy would have been another option

I would have liked to have seen Ivan come home too.

I would have to go Tooves at this point

Mainly for the fact that he is Manly through and through, knows the systems, but most importantly, he would be in tight with the current playing group as well, something that could be a vital point if the playing group is fractured over the departure of Des

Kiwi Eagle said:
I would have to go Tooves at this point

Mainly for the fact that he is Manly through and through, knows the systems, but most importantly, he would be in tight with the current playing group as well, something that could be a vital point if the playing group is fractured over the departure of Des
Agreed. and have him take cliffy under his wing

Our history would suggest that it has to be an insider: all eight premierships were with teams coached by men who had played for the club.

Now of course we shouldn't blindly follow history. Alan Thompson was a failed "insider" coach. But would there be any stellar outside candidates on the market at the relevant time? I doubt it. Transparency can be over-rated. It would mean a slow and drawn-out selection process, which can be damaging in and of itself.

Now of course none of us are there at training to be privy to Toovey's style and methods, so we can only speculate about how good a job he might do. But he clearly has leadership qualities, he will have learnt from Hasler (or maybe Hasler learnt from Tooves!), he is a loyal club man (more so than Hasler), and intelligent and studious.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
Of course it has to be Tooves. He's been groomed for the job and learnt from Des. It has to be a Manly Man. That is one of the great edges we have over almost every other club.

I do find it 'amusing' that fans of a club who get a new coach assume that it will lead to a premiership. That must make Newcastle, Souths, Penrith and now Canterbury favourites for 2012/2013. I don't think so.

Change at the top can have the opposite effect.

Tooves - if the club keep it a in-house coach and also if he indeed wants to coach.
Rick Stone - if they looked outside. He did a fantastic job with a young group of Knights players and also knowing he was being replaced by Bennett. Shows the character of the man himself.

Bellyache is only signed till the end of 2012, I 'd rather slash my wrist before accepting this knob to coach our glorious team.

Has to be Tooves, lots of clubs appoint assistant coaches to the top job when the head coach leaves (Saints to name one).

I think Geoff would have a similar style to Des and there would be no major change to how we train and play. It makes no sense to get rid of Des now unless the players push for it (which I can't see happening) which gives Tooves another year to learn the trade.

Send out an SOS to France. Get Beaver home. He may not be coach but as assistant he would demand respect

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4