Anzac test in Gallipoli

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
New Zealand and Australia want to mark the centenary of the Gallipoli landings with an audacious plan to take the 2015 Anzac test to Turkey.
Both teams would attend the traditional dawn service to mark 100 years since the Gallipoli campaign commenced on April 25th, 1915, before playing their annual mid-year test in Istanbul.
Rugby league has never been played in Turkey, but an approach is planned to leading Turkish football clubs Galatasaray and Fenerbahce about hosting a test match, and to the New Zealand and Australian governments about financially backing the fixture. The NRL's support may help overcome the biggest obstacle – getting the clubs to agree to release players for the game.
NZRL chief executive Jim Doyle said the chance of the game happening was "pretty high" after extended talks with NRL officials David Gallop and Paul Kind.
"It does depend on the NRL clubs releasing players – obviously , there is a lot more travel involved – but the centenary only comes around every 100 years so I would hope we could try and make it happen," he said.
"We've got four years to make it work."
Wayne Scurrah, chief executive for the Warriors, said: "I think it's a great initiative and good on the NZRL and ARL for coming up with an initiative to give rugby league a higher profile."
A full announcement is likely today at a press conference at Robina, on the Gold Coast, ahead of tomorrow's Anzac test at Skilled Park.
Meanwhile, the Kiwis have renewed calls for the fixture to be played on a standalone weekend, and a chance for their players to play representative football during the Origin period, in response to Australian suggestions the mid-year test be moved.
Doyle said no decisions were imminent on the long-term position of the test in the calendar after Gallop hinted it could shift to post-Origin.
But Doyle said choosing a timeframe would give his players a "significant disadvantage" as they would face an Australian team battle-hardened by Origin – unless a similar three-match series based on island allegiances could be played simultaneously.
Doyle said the Anzac test situation "wasn't a simple one" but said the NZRL had always been concerned about players backing up from a Friday test in club football the same weekend.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thoughts ??? upon 1st mention of it, I liked the idea

Its a decent idea, but it has to be done in the right way.

One thing I didn't like though was Tim Sheens talking about it yesterday. He was talking about the game purely from a marketing and money making point of view. He also suggested it would be difficult to get up for a dawn service and then travel into town for a game. Difficult! Imagine what he would have called the circumstances 100 years ago in Gallipoli!!!!

ANZAC day should really be first and foremost about honouring the diggers. If done the right way, playing sport can be a great way of doing that and a clash between Australia and NZ is an excellent idea. I picture something like the national anthems being played and then the last post taking place with the players in a circle in alternating jumpers. However, when you start talking about promotion, marketing, good chance for league, etc then I doubt your motives and you can come off looking cheap. But do it the right way and you can achieve all your goals and more.

I personally don't agree with this, I have always thought Australia v New Zealand shouldn't be associated with the ANZACs, because the ANZACs are about us both being on the same side, not aginst each other.

Now the best of UK, Australia and NZ playing the Turkish Rugby League team if they have one, that would be better suited, but also probably a very **** game.

I feel a bit the same Brookie, having a game in Turkey with whom we were at war would be a bit like having a game of Soccer against Japan in Darwin to comemorate them bombing us.

Nice idea but wont work. They would have to play it in Istanbul and not Gallipoli. Gallipoli is 6 hours drive away from Istanbul. At that distance you may as well have it in Aus or NZ. But I agree this game should be on April 25 every year.

Dumb idea wtf does this have to do with the anzac spirit...would make more sense to have a combined nz and Australian soccer team take on turkey

I appreciate efforts to raise the game's profile and spark some interest but this idea is just plain tasteless. I guess they'll have the cameras at dawn stuck in the player's faces eeking out every emotion. The Gallipoli assault was a human tragedy and they should leave the war dead alone.

I've always thought the nexus between the NRL and war crap is a bit strange. Having helicopters deliver the cup at GF time, and all the other stuff around Anzac day is tacky. Sure let the old warriors into the games for free, that seems to be the tradition, but that's about as far as it should get imo. It seems as ridiculous as having the PM present the GF medals. There's a place and a time for that, just not at the footie.

Hopefully by then Channel 9 won't be the telecast partner. Can you imagine how thick they'd lay on the sentimental schmaltz? It was bad enough last night.

Just get on with the football.

Matabele said:
Hopefully by then Channel 9 won't be the telecast partner. Can you imagine how thick they'd lay on the sentimental schmaltz? It was bad enough last night.

it could only work with one sport & it aint rugby league.. world game boys ;) soccer combined aust nz team playing turkey`s international side.. then it will grab world headlines.. not league ,sorry.. as much as i love the game...

Matabele said:

You don't watch much CH7 or 10 then. They are twice as bad when it comes to that side of things. EASILY!

The ANZAC day AFL match is done very well and very respectfully so I dont see why this couldnt be replicated.

I think this match should be played on April 25, but playing it at Gallipoli is a joke. It is a rural area and there are no big stadiums. The nearest decent sized town is Canakkale which is about 90 minutes away. Even that place is only 20000 people and I didn't see any sports fields when I was there last year.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6