Anyones title in 2014...but Manly...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Through my Maroon & White eyes look to be travelling the best in an open comp. The thing is manly has not really got out of 3rd gear & been almost playing just a tad better than the opposition in most games with 1 exception...the Seaeagles can change the tempo & only a couple of other teams have that ability.
Roosters seem flat but have the players to again threaten & will be in it again, Cordner will add punch but Jennings gone out wide will take points off them.
Souths...have not been as hot as the media beat them up imo, obviously still a top 4 team.
Broncos have been far better than I rated them pre season & are not far off the pace & Penrith , have stood up & showed spirit lacking for many years, will drop off when the whips are cracking.
Storm....dont really bother me & feel comfortable that Manly will rock them come finals time....prob a 4th -5th team imo.
Agree NZ can challenge anyone on their day but are so inconsistent that DAY is surrounded by 3 bad Days!!
Nth Qld are a smokey who at full strength worry me as much as any, though Tate is a big loss, but some talented, tough fowards led by Thurston will question any defence.

So, Who are the main threats for the 2014 title??

Injury to my mind. The loss of 1 B Stewart is enough to derail us winning the comp. We have the depth to cover other positions, but no Snake and our chances of winning fall.

I really believe if we have our best team on the park come Semi Finals then we go into the finals as favourites. Again hard then to predict as anyone can have an off game.

The teams that worry me come finals are the Warriors and the Tigers. I don't believe either will win the comp as they wont finish Top 4 and then wont win 4 in a row in the semis, however they could knock a high profile team out. The Warriors can just be unstoppable on their day, and the Tigers with Luke Brooks and Tedesco getting more confident could be a real thorn in teams sides.

I really believe that our biggest asset this year is not our exceptional talent across the field, but the departure of one G. Stewart. The boys will really want to win it for him.
I can't think of another team that has such a huge psychological factor playing for them?

Agree, all the Byes will finish by round 18 and the remenants of SOO should be over by round 22.

Injuries and suspensions are a danger for every contender - we've had more than our share already :sleepy:

I would not be surprised to see a replay of last years grand final. Other than us and the roosters, souths are the only other team that i believe have a shot. Bulldogs are pretenders, and panthers will slide once they play some more top teams. Warriors too inconsistent and cowboys cannot win away from home:

We need to stay grounded and not get complacent in the "easy" matches, and I have confidence we will win a majority of games against the tougher opposition. As long as we are top 4 we are a great chance.

How I would love a replay of last years final (and with Shane hayne referee again), and to just rip them apart.

Once again the refs will be the main threat to us this year. I expect them to lift (lower?) their game come the finals. We will have to be twice as good as everybody else to progress, as usual.

Shayne Hayne is by far our biggest hurdle again this year. He won it last year, and has been doing all the little things right, "get back Manly", and ," I don't want to hear it Foz", and reports are he blew his pea through the garage door when he painted his outhouse maroon and white!

No - I am confident in Manly dealing with Referee errors in a clinical way - not personally :D

But I do tend to buy my GF tickets in July :angel:

I think Souffs are more of a danger in 2014 than last year, you know the old story " have to lose one to win one", this is their big chance.

Rorters are a chance again, a good chance in fact.

The Riff will fall away, their draw sees them play the top,sides only once, so their position is sort of " not real"

The big 3 are no longer big, good players but the writing is on the wall for the Storm.

The Eels are good on their day but not good enough when the whips will be cracking.

The Bullpups are one dimensional, shut their forwards down and you have them on toast.

Injury free the Eagles are well placed.

We need to finish 1 or 2 and not go through that same crap we did last year, we can blame Hayne all we like but if we hadn't played the extra game last year......who knows.

At the beginning of the year I questioned our forward depth ... they proved me wrong.

I am now questioning our forwards ability to "lift" that extra 10% required in finals football .... I hope they prove me wrong again.

This week is a great depth test against a strong defensive Team and without Crazy Eyes Choc :)

tsuNami Lui vs SBWurst should be a belter !

Mark from Brisbane said:
I think Souffs are more of a danger in 2014 than last year, you know the old story " have to lose one to win one", this is their big chance.

when did they lose one? They never even got there.

Lack of ability in the backline and lack of skill in their big forward pack makes it very hard for them to beat both Manly and/or the roosters in the one semi series.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6