Anyone questioning Bretts speed?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
torana355 said:
He is still very quick now but was about 10% quicker before his knee injuries. He did some great stuff tonight but also a few fumbles which has been happening a little bit lately. I think he has contract negotiations in the back of his mind.
Yeah he's thinking do I stay at manly or go to saints or easts hmmmm... Oh **** there's a grubber I better try and get it!

I had some cash on him for first try in the 2nd half, I was riding him home big time!!
He may have lost a bit of pace, but his speed off the mark to catch up to Carney and get the pass was beautiful to watch.

Nowhere near as fast as he was imo but still has an explosive burst.
If you see the try again it was not so much the speed when he got the ball, but more the explosive burst of pace to break away from the pack after Carney had made the bust to position himself for that perfect pass.
Slaters best attribute with his speed is his ability to change direction without losing speed, though he has reasonable genuine pace have seen him run down many times in a straight line & over a distance.
Brett is still faster at 80-90% today.

Whether he is at 90% or 100%, when you are standing in a packed club with everyone standing and screaming at Brett Stewart in the clear in an Origin game, it doesn't get any better than that...

IMO before his knee problems he would have smoked them all. Boyd wouldn't have gotten close to him.

In saying that, i don't think speed is an issue for him. He's got plenty left.

It was a heavy track so he went well. But his second try was aided and abetted by Luke Lewis shepherding Boyd off, and Slater had commited to a tackle on Carney, it wasn't like he won a straight 1 on 1. But I will take the try

Yep, not as quick. But still quick enough to be very effective.
Still as valuable as in 2008. Maybe lil slower but better at setting up tries and possitionally.

Maybe not as much but Still has plenty..

Look were he comes from to take the pass from Carney he is metres behind everyone else then streaks past them!!

Not sure how long i have been a member here but this was my first drunken thread starter....

Questioning it...... Yes, running gate looked scary ! Still best Boyd to the line which is no easy task, the speed is there, but not as much as before !

He is still damn quick. For Brett to be as quick as Boyd whilst holding the ball shows he would be quicker without it. Everyone knows you run quicker without the ball and to match Boyd's pace with it was phenomenal.

Lets also look at who came from were and the work load of the players. Pretty sure I didnt see much of boyd all game and Stewart being a fullback always has more running to do and then still has enough gas to out run some quick players. Was awsome!

On another note , so glad to see Snake pumped up and scoring tries!!

lsz said:
Not sure how long i have been a member here but this was my first drunken thread starter....

Nothing to be ashamed of. You are now a true supporter.

For the record, he's not as quick as he used to be IMO.

lsz said:
I thought he looked v sharp

As for making slater second rate i think he made more errors than slater but had a far more positive impact on the game

Intersting how we see games differently? Slater and Brett both dropped balls near the goal line (wet conditions, no surprise). But I see Slater get the ball and always think, look out, something's going to happen.

What about Brett early in the first half. takes the ball on the tryu line, then slides towards the gola post to stop being pushed back for a goal line drop out.

That was fullback class. Hope he pulls up OK for Monday

Brett still has that initial burst of speed but even before the injuries I think there would be plenty of blokes who could beat him over the longer distances.

Id have to disagree. I dont think you would find many quicker than him in his day.
Also when he first came into first grade one of the sprint coaches at the time said he could run qualifying track times for something or other cant remember what exactly so he is/was quick across 100.

Also remember Cliffy lyons saying he hasent seen anyone quicker over 60 metres than Snake. Bias maybe but cant doubt his speed

Haz88 said:
Id have to disagree. I dont think you would find many quicker than him in his day.
Also when he first came into first grade one of the sprint coaches at the time said he could run qualifying track times for something or other cant remember what exactly so he is/was quick across 100.

Also remember Cliffy lyons saying he hasent seen anyone quicker over 60 metres than Snake. Bias maybe but cant doubt his speed

Plenty of NRL players could be top quality sprinters if they became dedicated to that. Pre injuries I can recall a game against the Titans when David Mead ran him down easily. Over the shorter distances I think he's still right up there but longer distances I think he is now and was before a step behind the top line runners.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7