1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

another option

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by kombi 66, Jan 29, 2016.

1. kombi 66

kombi 66 Member

+12 / 1
    Fri 29th January, 08:16AM

Nathan Green knew the answer before the question was even asked – who is this new Manly Warringah Sea Eagles back-rower?

Who is this 23-year-old man with the fair skin, bushy red beard, and who, when wearing his preferred blue sunscreen, could pass for ‘Braveheart’?

“People don’t know who Nathan Green the back-rower is. They only might know of Nathan Green the centre,’’ he said.

Nathan Green, the centre, played 22 first grade games in four seasons at St George-Illawarra from 2012. He started just once in the second-row last season but it was enough for new Manly coach Trent Barrett to give him a contract.

“Trent brought me over from the Dragons as a back-rower. He saw me play a bit of back-row last year and saw some of the things I can do,’’ Green added.

“I’ve come to the Sea Eagles as a back-rower, not as a centre. I’m here for a fresh start, and that’s in the back-row.

“I guess I can bring a lot of different things that some other back-rowers can’t do. Coming from the centres, I have got speed and a bit of ball playing in me as well, so hopefully I can strike up a good combination with Dylan Walker, Steve Matai, Jorge Taufua, and Brett Stewart.

“I need to run some good lines and create some space for Matai, Stewart and Taufua to score some tries out on the left. That’s what Trent has asked me to do.”

Barrett described Green as a ‘fine edge backrower who has put on a lot of size’.

“I don’t think Nathan had found his true position until he came here,’’ Barrett said.

“Nathan might be a bit of an unknown to many but he has been very good in the pre-season.

“The back row was an area we were a bit skinny in, so having Nathan adds to our options.

“I guess the beauty of having players in your squad who can play multiple positions is really important with the way the salary cap is.

“We are lucky we have players who can do that in Lewis Brown, Tom Symonds, Feleti Mateo and now ‘Greeny’.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

+5,692 / 261
    "The back row was an area we were a bit skinny in"

1. Feleti Mateo
    2. Tom Symonds
    3. Blake Leary
    4. Lewis Brown
    5. Marty Taupau
    6. Jamie Buhrer
    7. Nathan Green

Call that skinny? Hehehehe.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Hgbcds

Hgbcds Active Member

+375 / 35
    Dylan kelly, rhys Armstrong, liam knight. Hehehe.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. robbiea

robbiea Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

+1,492 / 57
    Diamond in the rough ??
  5. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

+11,498 / 254
    We won't miss Green out on the field.
    Saw him in DY yesterday with some of the other Manly guys - his hair is flame red :fire:

Photos do not capture his halo. Reminds me of Fatty in his early days :p

Jayden has shaved his fro though :(
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Loobs

Loobs I am not really Scott Penn Premium Member

+6,146 / 252
    Barrett seems keen on him.

I'm interested to see how everyone is looking as there's been a lot of talk of bulking up. In past years that just meant everyone would have turned up even fatter. Tom Turbo at 100kgs. Green putting it on. But Jake looks slimmer. Perhaps they are thinking of shifting him to back row because of our low back rower stocks?
  7. Snake

Snake Doing The Eagle Rock!

+2,423 / 115
    I can't believe what I am seeing...Nathan Green thinks he has speed?!

I am happy to see how he goes in the backrow but this guy is one of the worst centres I have ever seen play the game.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. tookey

tookey Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

+4,096 / 126
    Never watched Brayden Williame or David Vaealiki when they played for manly?
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Snake

Snake Doing The Eagle Rock!

+2,423 / 115
    I did say ONE of the worst (not THE worst) so i've left room for the likes of Williame and Vaealiki @:D
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. cherry_poppins

cherry_poppins Well-Known Member

+1,037 / 131
    What about NB-Q?
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. lsz

lsz Well-Known Member Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

+3,547 / 64
    A solid back up player who contributed to our 2008 premiership winning season. He also managed to play over 100 first grade games (across England and here) as well as 4 test matches for Fiji

Not every player can or has to be a star...and often those we deride have achieved far more than any of us have in our "dream" jobs.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Alby

Alby Active Member

+337 / 12
    Juz zip your lip and do your job
  13. manlyfan76

manlyfan76 Parra Trolls are the best. Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Anywhere but Parramatta
    +5,124 / 99
    And one of Australias most recognisable animals
  14. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

+6,608 / 118
    Green ... rough...I like it. But he might have a fairway to go to convince us he's an eagle! :D
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. MadMarcus

MadMarcus Local Lunatic 2016 Tipping Competitor

+5,597 / 45
    Just got overtaken by Mitchell Pearce a couple of days ago.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. robbiea

robbiea Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

+1,492 / 57
    Par four the coarse.