Another one: Year In Review – Manly Sea Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eggson

Bencher
You just can't get enough of this!  Although i'd say worst loss(es) were the first to the Storm (another heartbreak after the GF) and the one to Souths (40 pts!!!), but i thought the Beaver loss was a very nice touch.

Year In Review – Manly Sea Eagles
Written by: Paul Zines
December 3rd, 2008 8:36am

LeagueUnlimited.com's Paul Zines looks at the Sea Eagles’ 2008 NRL season.

Premiers – Manly Sea Eagles

They say you have to lose one to win one. However, calling Manly’s 40-nil victory over Melbourne as just a “win” is a massive understatement. Coming up against a side that had won three Minor Premierships in a row, a side that had been the benchmark for years, quality players and coaching staff, the Grand Final was supposed to be a daunting task.

In 1975, Eastern Suburbs beat St.George 38-0 and no one thought that this would be broken, especially considering how closely fought the NRL has become. Well now Manly hold the record and have silenced the critics in the biggest possible way that even the most die-hard supporter could not have predicted.

Reasons:

State of Origin: Unlike the Storm, Manly only had Brett Stewart in the Origin side and this proved to be a huge advantage for them, bringing some much needed consistency.

Matt Orford: The ‘Ox’! He has been criticized for not lifting and taking control in the big games. After taking out the coveted “Dally M” award for player of the year he dedicated the award to his peers when he stated, “to my team-mates, none of this is possible without these blokes”. The job wasn’t done though and nothing would compare to a premiership. On the big stage, he was a leader, he was brilliant and he held the trophy high!

Steve Menzies: “Menzies, Menzies, Menzies!!!” the commentators shouted as winger Michael Robertson passed the ball on the inside to the man who had played 349 matches for his beloved Manly club. Every player dreams of a fairytale finish, but he never would have imagined a try in a 40-nil Manly premiership victory. His leadership was well needed and nothing can put a price on what he have to the club. There needs to be more players like him!

Other Points:

– Coach Des Hasler’s perfectionist approach and toughness

– Underestimated wingers – discovery of David “Wolfman” Williams and Michael Robertson scoring a hatrick in the Grand Final

– Outstanding props with Josh Perry finally proving what an enforcer he is and Brent Kite winning the Clive Churchill medal for best on ground in the Grand Final.

Gains:

Chris Bailey Five-Eighth Knights
Tony Williams Winger Eels
Shane Rodney Back-row Panthers

Losses:

Steven Bell Centre Les Catalans (ESL)
Steve Menzies Centre/Back-row Bradford Bulls (ESL)
Mark Bryant Back-row Celtic Crusaders (ESL)
Luke Williamson Back-row London Harlequins (ESL)

Best Win of the Year: See Melbourne’s “Worst Loss of the Year”

Worst Loss of the Year: Steve Menzies going to England (that’s right I made a joke – there were no real stand out losses for the Sea Eagles)

2009 Headline:

“Any chance of trying to make it work again? - Northern Eagles

Odds to win the Competition:

$3.75 (courtesy of SportsBet)

Where will they finish next year?

Author's 2009 Prediction:
1st

LeagueUnlimited.com's 2009 Prediction:
1st

Zines and LeagueUnlimited.com's predictions are absolutely spot on.  We may even go through the season unbeaten.

I hate to say this so far out from even the start of the season BUT who's got a chance against us in 2009. We won't win every game (that's an impossibility) and we may struggle during SOO time BUT when the "money games" are on at seasons end....who's going to beat us.....hard to pick anyone at present isn't it???

I agree 2009, number 8 premiership!!!

we could be a grumpy bunch without any Beaver

Mark from Brisbane link said:
I hate to say this so far out from even the start of the season BUT who's got a chance against us in 2009. We won't win every game (that's an impossibility) and we may struggle during SOO time BUT when the \"money games\" are on at seasons end....who's going to beat us.....hard to pick anyone at present isn't it???

I agree 2009, number 8 premiership!!!

Has there been a grand final winner in the past decade who hasn't felt like this though? When the Tigers won it was a young squad and they were starting on something big. Melbourne won last year and it was a dynasty in the making. Penrith, young squad etc. Roosters same thing.

There is a reason why it has generally taken us a decade to win our premierships - they're f*cking hard to win! There are so many variables... I think we should be favourites, but over a season I wouldn't put us that far ahead of the rest of the pack.

My quick predictions: Melbourne are in danger of missing the top four (this is a big call, but it is based on their depth), Cowboys are a major threat for both the premiership and the minor prem, Warriors will make the top four.

Willstyles,  I agree with your prediction regarding North Qld.  The only worry for them is the continued prima-donna act of J Thurston.  With an ego like his, there's always problems at home.  The Warriors could be a danger but we've traditionally had the wood over them and I can't see them fixing that 'win away from home' thing overnight.  Melbourne will struggle but will be thereabouts, and the rest?  Can't see a big threat from any side, with or without Beaver.   

I wonder how the Dragons and Sharks will go next year, especially minor premiership wise. Brisbane are an unknown quantity as well.

I just look at the Warriors and I see a far stronger roster than last year, and in particular the addition is Stacey Jones is huge. If he can keep up fitness-wise, he'll be an epic signing.

I agree that plenty of the Cows season relies on Thurston and his mental state, but they've bought really well - a couple of big forwards (Kaufusi most notable), some strikepower in the backs (Tonga) and then you factor in that their best players missed most of 2008 (Bowen, Thurston, O'Donnell). They'll be there, no doubt about it. Also, Neil Henry could do great things with them.

Sharks overachieved last year in getting to third, they could quite easily slip - although Tupou and Barrett are both good signings.

The bad thing for them is that two of their best performers throughout '08 (Bird, Kimmorley) won't be there (Bird still a slim chance). Dragons could be big improvers under Bennett, but they are a strange one. Broncos will still do well. Their forward pack is ordinary, but their backline is world class.

I agree with all that, although I just see us as the best 'across the paddock' team.  The balance in a team is the important thing, as is backup.  We seem to have all bases covered in both these departments.  Our forwards are settled and the backline is very good.  The only problem for us is during the SOO time.  Kite, Perry, Choc, the Stewart brothers will all get a call up which will be hard to back-fill.  Hopefully Lyon will knock back rep stuff and we will go about winning the silverware again.

The Thing that will decide 2009: INJURIES!!!  We had a good run in 2008 and with all players fit and available we will be up there!!!

Yeah good call with the injuries thing. 

09 will be a totally different year than this so i can't even think of making predictions.
I just want to be the first team to win back to back in years.  Then we'll be the power team of 2000s and not Melbourne.

I think Dragons will be a surprise, whether a good or a bad one I don't know but for some reason I have a feeling they will mix things up

I just can't see the Dragons fixing their halves up in 09.  Their backline is weak as well.  They've bought some grunt in the forwards but they'll take a season or two to gell.  I'm hoping they run second last.  My brother is a dragqueen supporter and he constantly reminded me, when we used to talk, of the premierships they won.

DSM5 link said:
I just can't see the Dragons fixing their halves up in 09.  Their backline is weak as well.  They've bought some grunt in the forwards but they'll take a season or two to gell.  I'm hoping they run second last.  My brother is a dragqueen supporter and he constantly reminded me, when we used to talk, of the premierships they won.

Yeah I am not sure if my feeling is good or bad yet, they may take the spoon for all I know I just have a feeling that they will get a lot of mentions next year, and it wont be because of Bennett

biggest improvers next year i think will be Bulldogs. Dragons will improve but only to a top 8 side.

Sharks IMO will be in the top 4 and will be a stronger side.

Storm will be weaker, how weaker depends on the hidden talent factor.

All variables aside We should be in the top 4 with another great shot at the preimership.

Wooden spoon i think will be between Tigers (have no forward pack) & Panthers.

For most of this season (probably up until the semis when the Storm lost to the Warriors) I was more confident about next year than this one.

I am even more optimistic now but with one proviso. This year I think the Storm pretty well ran out of gas and the same could happen to us next year.

Depending on how seriously we take the WCC (and I can't see it in Des's nature not to take it seriously) and then our (surely much increased) representative workload we could be doing it tough by the business end of 2009.

Anyway I have learnt to trust our coaching staff and hope they can prime Manly again to somehow make the last match the team plays over a 9-month season their best one.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6