Another idea, access on reputation

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
I need to decide on what forum software we will be going with for the next phase of Silvertails to make this possible.

However I am looking at setting up a new forum, this forum will have a reputation level in order to get posting permissions.

Now there are two ways I am looking at doing this.

1 - I give out reputation points, based on your posts, so if I think the post was good/bad/whatever then you get reputation points and are added to the forum

2 - Not sure this is possible but was thinking about a way where the members of the forum give reputation depending on posts, when you reach a certain threshhold you are granted access to the forum, if you lose reputation points and drop from that threshold, you then lose permissions.

This way in order to stay in that forum you need to have a consistently good level of posts, as deemed by your peers.

The issue is that I would need to start with a default set of people who have those permissions and the people I choose may not be to your liking.

Dan

what would that mean to those of us that like to read, and make the very occasional post?

I think the idea has some merit, but by segregating you may lose some overall quality on the site.

Reputation points will of course be subjective, as is evidenced by the current goings on, could it be a reddit like upvote/downvote feature?

I tend to agree and think overall we lose more than we gain. People need to understand that there is no simple solution and calling for blanket banning of anyone not a Sea eagles supporter offers no real value

Is th new forum going to a VBookie type gambling feature ?
I was a VBookie Bookie at a another site a few years ago and it was fun

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Is th new forum going to a VBookie type gambling feature ?
I was a VBookie Bookie at a another site a few years ago and it was fun

The only way to do that would be to use vbulletin and although it's popular, I am not a huge fan of the software. If another system offered something similar I would put it in place

I'm not a fan of making it too difficult to post. Everyone has a right to say what they want within the bounds of the site conditions. Free speech, along with an essentially unmoderated environment were the reason this site started in the first place, so why change it ??

I'm of the opinion this place is getting more like the old MWSE forum by the day. With the amount of whinging and the narrowing of diversity of opinion through harrassment, this place is slowly converging into the conga line that made the official forum such a waste of internet space.

The only suggestion I think is worthwhile entertaining is some sort of cooling off period between registering as a member and being able to post. Say a week or so. That stops the obvious trolls who just log on because they've had a few beers and decide it's time to go fishing at Silvertails.

Chip and Chase said:
I'm not a fan of making it too difficult to post. Everyone has a right to say what they want within the bounds of the site conditions. Free speech, along with an essentially unmoderated environment were the reason this site started in the first place, so why change it ??

I'm of the opinion this place is getting more like the old MWSE forum by the day. With the amount of whinging and the narrowing of diversity of opinion through harrassment, this place is slowly converging into the conga line that made the official forum such a waste of internet space.

The only suggestion I think is worthwhile entertaining is some sort of cooling off period between registering as a member and being able to post. Say a week or so. That stops the obvious trolls who just log on because they've had a few beers and decide it's time to go fishing at Silvertails.

Well, it is all the former MWSE Whingers.

Chip and Chase said:

This

I suggested earlier this year that we keep track of RL journos and the manly stories they write and if they are proven true or not. Maybe we need this for ourselves. If someone has more wrong or negative posts then good ones they sit in the corner for a while?

Imo you need to keep it a free for all.

I enjoy reading other teams fans posts as long as they are not of the rambofan type.

I'd hate for the place to become an inclusive boys club of backslappers. Whereby if yoy disagree with the majority you suddenly get pushed from the forum

Reputation systems are a bit of a toss to be honest. If you get a few posters together you can effectively backslap each other with reputation, and also use that combined power to hammer others you may not like (or want to post). It serves to drive a bit of a divide between users. "Hey my reputation is better than yours, so my opinion is correct".

I don't mind your posts mr i , it's your personality that in my opinion is worse than a used car sales man.

I'd have to start putting cheerleader photos back up again to get in this rep club.

Leave things the way they are Dan. So what if some people put some crap in. Just don't respond and it's all good.

The reputation plan sounds a little too subjective to me.

Maybe a combination of suggestions is best. For example, the following might work;

1) Pay to participate gives you full read/write access

2) MWSE membership gives you full read/write access, and

3) If you don't qualify with the above 2 conditions then you need to qualify via Dan's reputation system

This covers all options I think. It would take a dedicated troll to qualify via this process.

Daniel said:
I need to decide on what forum software we will be going with for the next phase of Silvertails to make this possible.

However I am looking at setting up a new forum, this forum will have a reputation level in order to get posting permissions.

Now there are two ways I am looking at doing this.

1 - I give out reputation points, based on your posts, so if I think the post was good/bad/whatever then you get reputation points and are added to the forum

2 - Not sure this is possible but was thinking about a way where the members of the forum give reputation depending on posts, when you reach a certain threshhold you are granted access to the forum, if you lose reputation points and drop from that threshold, you then lose permissions.

This way in order to stay in that forum you need to have a consistently good level of posts, as deemed by your peers.

The issue is that I would need to start with a default set of people who have those permissions and the people I choose may not be to your liking.

Dan

I am a shoe in then?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7