Another halfback rumour

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

webby66

In talking about the Raiders signing Sezar Tim Gavel on ABC radio this morning mentioned he heard on the grapevine that Mitch Cornish was being "looked at" by Manly. Kid can play and is the best half from Goulburn since the Pisspot. Though without the stupidity of T. Carney. Anyway just what I heard.

Hes a good half with great potential dont get me wrong, but id rather sign elgey and give young riley travers the other half spot, or lyon/hiku until a quality half becomes available

Never seen him play. Surely he has a boast reel like every Gen Y player? Perhaps someone can upload it with, of course, the stirring sound track.

He played the first 4 rounds for the Raiders and then Sticky sent him to Reggies. With a glowing endorsement like that from Ricky it's obvious he must has talent.

Big signing year. Clubs are signing Scott, Foran, DCE, RTS - Manly Cornish and Elgey hahahaha...back to the Northern Eagles days peeps. Mullayne / Ferris - here we come.

Big signing year. Clubs are signing Scott, Foran, DCE, RTS - Manly Cornish and Elgey hahahaha...back to the Northern Eagles days peeps. Mullayne / Ferris - here we come.
Take it easy Ryan . We have not signed any one yet

I still rather we let JLJ, Pearsall and even Hodges have a go.

Mateo looked good at 5/8 and whilst Killer and Matai are around, they could develope on the job :)

Seriously though, aren't you frustrated at all the other clubs around us ability to sign players, and our complete lack of this? I admit I'm emotional about the situation. sue me.
No I am actually the opposite. I want the club management to take some time and get things right. I liked Sezar, but I actually prefer the club frame the market worth of players off contract and make offers accordingly. I would suggest to you Ryan, that if we are missing targets, it's because we are making prudent calls on our offers.
That is the way we do things at Manly...THAT is what builds the culture.
No high priced show ponies!!!
That is what I believe.

Last edited:
Gavel is pretty close to the Raiders down here in Canberra and is usually pretty close to the mark on Raiders stuff. Not saying Cornish is the Messiah if it works out but if he or Elgey or another young half is paired with the right offsider in the 6 jumper hopefully Joey can turn them into something special

Seriously though, aren't you frustrated at all the other clubs around us ability to sign players, and our complete lack of this? I admit I'm emotional about the situation. sue me.

Sure it leaves a bad taste in the mouth, but what else can we do.
Players talk, player managers talk, media portrays us as fools.
No-one is interested in playing on the "derp beaches" anymore.

We had a good run. Time to learn from the Gift mistake and move forward with Joke and nopenn.

Gavel is pretty close to the Raiders down here in Canberra and is usually pretty close to the mark on Raiders stuff. Not saying Cornish is the Messiah if it works out but if he or Elgey or another young half is paired with the right offsider in the 6 jumper hopefully Joey can turn them into something special

Assuming Joey hangs around.

I keep on reading here this halfback is no good, that one is rubbish blah blah.
A hypothetical question, what if both DCE and Foran had been through the Canberra Juniors system and firstly been coached by Furner and then Stuart, would they have reached the heights they have. My answer to that is that they would probably only be about as good as Cornish and McCrone.
Lets flip that around, what if Cornish and McCrone had benefited from being firstly coached by Des and then Tooves & Johns. I think that answer is pretty obvious.
The point everyone seems to be missing is whoever comes here will quickly be way better than they have been in their current club.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6