Another big rule the refs got wrong that cost us

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
S

Stevo11

For all the talk of rule stuff ups on Saturday night, here's one that seems incontrovertible to me. We should have received the scrum feed after the ball hit the ref.

Why is that?

Well, rightly or wrongly he initially awarded the scrum to Manly.

He can't then change that to a scrum to the Bulldogs - even if he is wrong, with all the convincing in the world - because the rules clearly say:
"The Referee judges on matters of fact AND SHALL NOT SUBSEQUENTLY ALTER THOSE JUDGMENTS. He may cancel any decision made if prior foul play of which he had know knowledge is reported to him by a Touch Judge."

The NRL interpretations at the back of the document allow for the video referee to assist, but make no other qualifications to this rule.

Hence it seems pretty clear to me that he had no right to change who he awarded the scrum to. Once he awarded it to Manly, it should have remained a Manly scrum feed, and not been changed.

The club needs to make some massive noise over all this. Bring in lawyers and demand a replay. If not then take it to court

I think the precedence for this was set in an Origin game many moons ago when King Golly Lewis badgered a ref into changing his decision on a scrum feed, something to do with whether there was an advantage gained after a knock on or something to that effect. I think Golly went on to get another MOM award for that performance alone.

The actual rule for the ball contacting the ref is

(e) when play is irregularly affected by the ball or the
player carrying the ball coming into contact with
the Referee, a Touch Judge, or with any person
not taking part in the match or with any object
which should not normally be on the playing field

It is open to interpretation. Irregularly affected in my book doesn't include crap kicks by the attacking side that are regathered by the defending side after contacting the ref. He could have ruled play on, had he had testicles that is.

Here's another little-known rule they forgot about:

Section 14 - Offside
An offside player shall not take any part in the game or attempt in any way to influence the course of the game. He shall not encroach within ten metres of an
opponent who is waiting for the ball and shall immediately retire ten metres from any opponent who first secures possession of the ball.

Mitch said:
Cracking article in the SMH from Andrew Webster, rightfully giving Greenberg a massive serve.

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/the-nrl-is-a-mess--head-of-football-todd-greenberg-needs-to-do-his-job-and-fix-it-20140922-10kak3.html

Webster has covered enough in this one story to save about 200 posts across all the league forums.:)

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4