Another award for DCE

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Uate named NRL players' player

Updated September 13, 2011 22:07:08

Newcastle winger Akuila Uate has been named the NRL's best player at the Rugby League Players' Association Awards in Sydney.

Uate finished ahead of Sharks skipper Paul Gallen and North Queensland captain Johnathan Thurston in the voting to receive the Players' Player medal.

Uate's superb form saw him receive his maiden call-up to the New South Wales side for the Blues' unsuccessful 2011 State of Origin campaign.

The flying winger was named Dally M winger of the year and had a competition-high 19 tries for the season.

"I am very honoured to receive this Award and I need to thank my team-mates and coaches because I couldn't do what I do without them," Uate told the club's website.

"It is a huge privilege to be recognised by your peers and I just want to thank all of those that voted for me."

Uate was one of four Knights added to the Kangaroos' Four Nations train-on squad on Monday after Newcastle was knocked out of the premiership race by Melbourne on Sunday.

"The Players do not play Rugby League for the Awards but they appreciate when their efforts are acknowledged," RLPA boss David Garnsey said.

"To be recognised by your fellow Players as the best over 26 Rounds, however, is a very significant achievement and one of which Akuila should feel justifiably proud."

Gallen, who captained New South Wales to Origin II victory earlier this year, was voted the representative player of the year.

Manly half-back Daly Cherry-Evans earned rookie of the year honours.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4