Anniversary tomorrow

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rambo1987

Bencher
Just a quick note regarding Manly’s 38th anniversary tomorrow for our first Grand Final win over the Roosters.
Manly-Warringah 19 (Tries: Jones, Branighan. Goals: Eadie 6. Fld Goal: Fulton)
Eastern Suburbs 14 (Tries: Ballesty, Mullins. Goals: McKean 4 )
Man of the Match: Denis Ward (Manly).

In a controversial match, the Sea-Eagles downed the Eastern Suburbs Roosters 19 to 14, thus shedding their 'bridesmaids' tag. The Roosters were highly critical of referee Keith Page after the match, claiming both of Manly's tries shouldn't have been awarded. To add to their rage, Easts crossed for 2 tries that were disallowed.

A dour first half saw the teams go to the break at 4-all, before a try by hooker Fred Jones put Manly ahead. Jones appeared to drop the ball as he attempted to ground it, but was awarded the try nonetheless. Midway through the second half, controversy flared again when Manly centre Ray Branighan appeared to stop over the Eastern Suburbs try line after accepting what looked like a forward pass from prop Bill Hamilton. However, referee Page allowed it and the Manly fans began celebrating, knowing that at 19-4 their first premiership victory was assured. Although Easts fought back and brought the score to 19-14, time was out for the Roosters.

I watched that game on Telly in Black and White at Urunga - I was 11 at time and it was the greatest moment ever when we won. We were leading 19 - 2 with not a lot of time on the clock and eased up to allow the Rorters score two late tries. They were never going to win the game and any suggestion otherwise is just wrong. Manly were the dominant team all season, with the new steel in the pack provided by John O'Neil.

It was a great moment and was it was great to finally have the 'grand final' curse put to rest. (We had looked likely for most of the previous 4 seasons but had never handled the 'monkey on our back' at semi final time, when the Bunnies and Dragons kicked into semi-final mode. The Tigers in 69 were not a better side than us but managed to scrape in the GF and we all know what happened that year.

Remember it well....I was 18 at the time and also watched on B & W Television...it was a tough game.

I did see a DVD over on MWSE earlier in the year that had all of the GF Victories on one DVD (or one pack at least)...it was about $100....but I suppose you get a lot of Grand Finals don't you.

My "hero" Wombat Eadie (whom I met face to face for the first time at the Gold Coast function earlier this year) played a great game....I just loved the Wombat....oh and the great Terry Randell....my all time best players (from the old days)

TerryRandall link said:
[quote author=Mark from Brisbane link=topic=185360.msg295068#msg295068 date=1284526475]
Remember it well....I was 18 at the time and also watched on B & W Television...it was a tough game.

I did see a DVD over on MWSE earlier in the year that had all of the GF Victories on one DVD (or one pack at least)...it was about $100....but I suppose you get a lot of Grand Finals don't you.

My \"hero\" Wombat Eadie (whom I met face to face for the first time at the Gold Coast function earlier this year) played a great game....I just loved the Wombat....oh and the great Terry Randell....my all time best players (from the old days)

Mark - not wishing to nitpick, but its Terry Randall, not Randell. My all time favouriate player.
[/quote]terry i dnt mean to nit pick but its favourite  not favouriate  :D  ;D lol..

jjai link said:
[quote author=TerryRandall link=topic=185360.msg295110#msg295110 date=1284530688]
[quote author=Mark from Brisbane link=topic=185360.msg295068#msg295068 date=1284526475]

My \"hero\" Wombat Eadie (whom I met face to face for the first time at the Gold Coast function earlier this year) played a great game....I just loved the Wombat....oh and the great Terry Randell....my all time best players (from the old days)

Mark - not wishing to nitpick, but its Terry Randall, not Randell. My all time favouriate player.
[/quote]terry i dnt mean to nit pick but its favourite  not favouriate  :D  ;D lol..
[/quote]

good catch J

I remember it well, it was my first GF since arriving from UK in1970 I followed SE because the only player I knew was Mal Reilly, all my mates as usual hated the SE & couldn't understand why I supported Manly but there's nothing new about that as I found out in the years to come. I was also at the 73 GF with the same mates and another great win.

Nothing wrong with old Clon....don't forget we are "experienced"

And sorry Terry, I knew he was Randall just my crappy typing skills.

Whatever he was (and still is) a bloody champion!!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6