Andrew Johns

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
susan said:
Foz has played every game this year before last Monday night.This problem didn't suddenly surface against the roosters.

Correct but his absence kind of strengthens my argument about the depleted roster. If Foran was there I think we would have seen a lot less crabbing across field and some more direct running at the line. We may have even won the game. We'll never know.

Darren said:
Guys, no worries Joey coaching them for the footy but not coaching them off the paddock.

Thanks for that input.

Darren said:
Good on you Susan and Swoop. I'm also sick of the excuses as all teams have injuries etc. As you said 10-20 metres out is what we are questioning. Foran and DCE have played most of the year.

Swoop, you asked a great question about Johns at 2am at his age and while KE said he ain't high ranking having direct access and working with the 1st grade team is influential. Being an immortal and known party boy with issues something the club should be worried about. Let him coach but he shouldn't be out with the players. Who else is he hitting the town with??

Hearing Foz banning himself off the grog and Choc's card nights are better choices in my opinion.

So you're getting ill from all the excuses. Here's a challenge. Name one team above us on the ladder that have lost 2 of their 3 starting props for the season and one of their strike forwards for 8 weeks due to suspension.

As a comparison how well did the Bulldogs go earlier in the season without the biter and Kasiano. One out injured and the other suspended. Not to mention a strike player out for whatever reason (Barba).

Since they've had these players back they are now a threat again. Plenty on this forum were absolutely overjoyed at the misery that club was going through. I was happy too but knew once they had all their players on deck they would be a different proposition. They will be there come finals time and they will be a threat.

Tell me also. Do you think their sudden improvement was due to some epiphany from Hasler. Or was it because the coach had all his strike weapons back on deck?

Darren said:
Guys, no worries Joey coaching them for the footy but not coaching them off the paddock.

He has 2 high profile jobs that I imagine would pay fairly well so the players may want some coaching off the paddock as well ;)

DSM5 said:
Don't teams adjust to circumstances. It seemed we adjusted to Glenn not being out there, and went very well early in the season. Sure missing those three giants of our pack is a problem, but problems can be overcome. I well remember the Tigers winning a comp in 2005 with a very small pack of forwards. We don't attack with any depth, we run across field, and our back three seem to stutter about taking the ball standing still. All coaching problems that would appear fixable. It just needs to happen.

2005 was a totally different game to what it is today, it's rock n roll wrestling these days. Too mix it with the bunnies, roosters and dogs you need big forwards. We have lost to these teams because we couldn't match their go forward.

Forwards putting holes in the defence put the opposition on the back foot, without the go forward we will see crabbing across field, players standing still etc, they are trying to create an opporunity. Against well drilled defence this is impossible to score against.

I think a good coach brings out the skills of the individual. I don't think this is A. Johns. I think it has been useful for our halves to learn a bit about his skills - more strings to their bows if you like - but surely he has taught all he knows here. I really don't see any improvement in their individual play, unlike say, Barba, when Hasler arrived at his club.
As for off the field, I ask myself if our rock, Jamie Lyon, would be interested in partying on with him on any given night in the Cross and I think I have my answer about his influence. ie it's just on the young and vulnerable and that I don't like.
Bottom line, I wish he wasn't at our club.

Budgewoi Eagle said:
I think a good coach brings out the skills of the individual. I don't think this is A. Johns. I think it has been useful for our halves to learn a bit about his skills - more strings to their bows if you like - but surely he has taught all he knows here. I really don't see any improvement in their individual play, unlike say, Barba, when Hasler arrived at his club.
As for off the field, I ask myself if our rock, Jamie Lyon, would be interested in partying on with him on any given night in the Cross and I think I have my answer about his influence. ie it's just on the young and vulnerable and that I don't like.
Bottom line, I wish he wasn't at our club.

The dog was lucky and went to a club that had been rebuilding for years. They won the minor premierships in all 3 grades last year so the dog can't take all the credit. He also signed T-dog on a 600k a year contract and although he's been playing crap, t-dog is still one of the first players picked in the team.

Be careful what you wish for.

I don't want the dog back at this great club after what he did, he's scum.

DSM5 said:
Kiwi, I think the club has every right to have a say in what the players get up to in their spare time. Don't forget these guys are paid enormous amounts to not only keep themselves fit, but are out there representing the club/sponsors .at all times. When you put your hand out for 600K or thereabouts, responsibility to adhere to a clubs ethos is important. And given the NRLs actions in standing down players who aren't guilty af anything before the law (think Snake), then to put yourself in a place where ****e happens all the time is irresponsible. And while I'm on the soapbox, Foran's bout of stomach illness. Does the club have a dietician who monitors what these professional athletes eat? what's the go there? I would take issue saying that this year is Foran's best.

Two points

1 - do you sincerely believe Horo and Wolfie ae on 600k. Without sounding like a blow hard I am on a decent salary (but not the $600k range by a long shot) and if my company tried to tell me what I could and could not do on my time (not a company function) I would tell them where to stick their ideas

2 - Stomach illness comes from more than "eating the wrong food" and is normally term for a viral infection caused by more than food stuffs. And as a side point most "stomach illness" that comes from food stuffs actually comes from salad and the like rather than a dodgy prawn or Indian - in fact the onion in a potato salad is an absolute king of food poisoning

Darren said:

Are you saying you think our playing roster of men are mentally weak and unable to make a decision for themselves? Are you saying that they are easily led imbeciles? If they are that easily influenced then forget getting rid of Johns - **** them off as they are weak minded fools that couldn't manage the pressure of GF football, and that is what we want them to ultimately win isn't it?

Anyone 40 years old and officially involved with the club and is out with the players at 2am at the Cross isn't a leader full stop. You can say your mental weak stuff, imbeciles etc but I wouldn't want my impressionable son or players anywhere near this guy.

What do you do anyway and to be honest KE, how old are you?? (not a slur, just a question) Are you a father? because I'm not sure what father would want them around him? Ask yourself this, what good would it be for a kid to be with A.Johns at the Cross?

And making big statements about telling off bosses on a keyboard isn't real as we all know. Young men earning hundreds of thousands of dollars and not a lot of education is a worry (numerous problems noted) and the club needs them 100% ready to play (physically and mentally) that's what they are paid for and and not hanging out in clubs.

Darren said:
Anyone 40 years old and officially involved with the club and is out with the players at 2am at the Cross isn't a leader full stop. You can say your mental weak stuff, imbeciles etc but I wouldn't want my impressionable son or players anywhere near this guy.

What do you do anyway and to be honest KE, how old are you?? (not a slur, just a question) Are you a father? because I'm not sure what father would want them around him? Ask yourself this, what good would it be for a kid to be with A.Johns at the Cross?

And making big statements about telling off bosses on a keyboard isn't real as we all know.
It isn't a big statement, it is a reflection of what a business can and cannot control/own. Sorry that you don't have the strength to draw boundaries in your life that others may, probably why unions are so heavily involved in your industry

Why is your son impressionable? (apologies if I read that statement incorrectly). As a father I am training my son to make decisions based on morals and what is right, not what his peers say - that is what a father does. I train him to feel comfortable being different, to not go with the crowd. He does not need to have the latest skylanders or whatever the fad is, small lessons early sets him up for the future. I train him how to treat women by the way I love my wife.

Once he is old enough to make a decision of meaning in his life I trust him to make the right ones, and once he is in his 20's he is a man, he should know right and wrong and have the moral fibre to stick with what is right irrespective of his peers. Im sorry if your life is so jaded that that is not the case. My upbringing and that of my family does not reflect the incessant negative tone that you have

Darren said:

And making big statements about telling off bosses on a keyboard isn't real as we all know. Young men earning hundreds of thousands of dollars and not a lot of education is a worry (numerous problems noted) and the club needs them 100% ready to play (physically and mentally) that's what they are paid for and and not hanging out in clubs.

You love your age must dictate how you perform stuff don't ya mate

The funny thing is on 1 point youre saying at Johns age he shouldn't be out coz be is too old, but on the other hand calling 26yo guys young and impressionable ? How is it that they are too old to play footy at 30 in your books but at 26 they are still young men when it comes to social stuff ? It doesn't make sense mate

I'm 29 with no kids. Not a professional sport but my cricket club was struggling years back and we brought an older bloke in, nearing 40, and he was a great influence even though he came out with us lol, and we went from being near the bottom of the comp to winning it by a mile in 1 season, he was out at his age doing better than all the young fellas were haha

Darren said:
Anyone 40 years old and officially involved with the club and is out with the players at 2am at the Cross isn't a leader full stop.
I guess that means Meninga has been a poor leader for the Queensland SOO team. Except … they are gunning for 8 in a row! Hmmm…

I work in the private school sector and one of the constant pieces of research we receive to work with is the influences that shape young men (teens-mid twenties) that have huge influences over setting them up for life. It is clear that strong leaders definitely shape young people in their future.

I know I see things differently but when you look at the epidemic of drugs, alcohol and violence growing you have to ask what is happening with society. I can rattle off numerous people I have grown up with (alcohol, gambling etc) and the work I'm involved with in my church (homeless and destitute) and nearly every time they tell you there was a lack of good role models that helped these young people make better decisions.

Voice from the hill, well done on your work with your son. Unfortunately there are many without a male influence in their lives that help them with growing up. My mate works as in the riot squad and works in George street Sydney at times. He has never seen the amount of violence in his career. The lack of care and respect is obvious.

All this stuff about bad influence etc misses the point.That is another debate and in my mind a red herring.

His job is to coach offence. Our offence at the pointy end of the field is the worst I can remember it for a long time. It looks haphazard and toothless.He should be judged on that and right now he has not added anything.

@Darren I completely agree with your views on the downward spiral some sections of society find themselves in, but I disagree with where we are looking to role models. The family is the basis for training (in this case) boys to be good men capable of making good decisions.

As far as people blaming a lack of good role models for their decisions, personally I believe that is evidence of why they are in that situation - they are unwilling to take responsibility for their actions. When I hear that line I am reminded of something a close friend once said, they endured an horrific upbringing filled with violence and abuse of the worst kind - by rights they should have been an awful parent, spouse, member of society etc. but they said "You can spend your life excusing your actions because of your upbringing - or you can say, I'm an adult and will take responsibility for how I live, I choose to be an adult".

I don't disagree with your societal views, but I do disagree with where you are looking in this instance to place blame, and I strongly argue that these men are strong enough and mature enough to control their own decision making. You may not agree with where they chose to spend their time, but to insist Johns was some kind of poor influence is in my opinion wrong.

susan said:
All this stuff about bad influence etc misses the point.That is another debate and in my mind a red herring.

His job is to coach offence. Our offence at the pointy end of the field is the worst I can remember it for a long time. It looks haphazard and toothless.He should be judged on that and right now he has not added anything.

Is it his job? Or is it Toovey's role to put the structure in place to enable our attack?

Of course the buck stops with Tooves.He must cop the majority of the blame if the season falls away but when you employ the greatest half of all time to improve young halves with great natural talent and they look clueless when attacking the line then his value must be questioned.

In a club like ours where dollars are tight you need to see improvement at the margin to justify the spend.

susan said:

In my first response I said that the current halves won a premiership before he joined us. What I'm stating in that no only have our halves only marginally improved i.e Foran's kicking game, but other than that I see him as a bad influence.

They were ordinary last year as well. They've been under performing since Hasler left. Since Toovey took over.

At least 2V has had the nouce to engage Andrew Johns, who Foz and DCE speak of highly.

susan said:

Was that his role ? I thought he was just employed to work with the halves but could be wrong

swoop said:
susan said:

In my first response I said that the current halves won a premiership before he joined us. What I'm stating in that no only have our halves only marginally improved i.e Foran's kicking game, but other than that I see him as a bad influence.

What your forgetting is that Johns worked with us prior to the 2011 season

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8