Andrew johns gone @ end of 2015

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'm not sure whether this is good or bad. Johns had obvious skills as a player, not sure on how successfully he has been able to pass that on in a coaching role. I look at our clutch plays and our attack in the opposition 20 and we still look like headless chooks more often than not over the last 2-3 seasons. Neither DCE nor Foz have managed to develop that clinical vision that Joey seemed to have, that ability to manufacture a try when needed.

I think he has definitely made an improvement on our short kicking game though, so that's a positive.

I do also get the impression that Joey has never grown up, which isn't a bad thing if you can pull it off, but not sure on how that affects his "mentoring" ability off the field.

ahhh rabble rabble stuff Joey! He isn't a former Manly player anyway rabble rabble

From the outside looking in this is disappointing. I am sure as a halves and attacking coach he adds a lot of value. He is the best half to have ever played the game and he knows what he is talking about.

Anyway I don't know all the finer detail so I can't comment on why he hasn't been retained but I would prefer him working with our club.

Why not Cliffy be our halves coach. He's been our best in the history of the club.
In case you hadn't noticed, Cliff was one of the DRLFC board members who launched into the 'Penn is mightier than the Board' people over Toovey's sacking. If you sack the coach for backing the wrong horse, why would you then employ someone that the Mr Fluffy mouthpiece (ZtH) considers irrelevant?

Last edited:
I thought i read somewhere that Barrett would be the attack coach (Cartwright the player manager and the fella from the storm the defensive coach). If that is the case then it would make sense that he would not want an additional halves coach

I don't think Johns has anything to our attack, which up until the last two matches was the worst in the comp. He's been working with a much-vaunted 'Rolls Royce' backline, yet I don't see much creative play from scrums, kick-offs etc. Nor have I seen any improvement in Killer's goal kicking stats.
Just because you are a good player doesn't mean you are a good communicator, and if his TV persona is true to form then he is a babbler of the highest order. I note that other great Aussie sporting myth, Shane Warne, hasn't developed a decent local legspinner. Our best is a old ex-Pakistani who can't make our First VI.

I'm pretty sure John's sided with Toovey ,that was his downfall.None of this is about people being proficient in their job ,It's all dependant on if your toeing the line with the hypocritical zealots.I wouldn't be surprised if this was Ballin's (a Toovey fan) undoing too..

I don't think Johns has anything to our attack, which up until the last two matches was the worst in the comp. He's been working with a much-vaunted 'Rolls Royce' backline, yet I don't see much creative play from scrums, kick-offs etc. Nor have I seen any improvement in Killer's goal kicking stats.
Just because you are a good player doesn't mean you are a good communicator, and if his TV persona is true to form then he is a babbler of the highest order. I note that other great Aussie sporting myth, Shane Warne, hasn't developed a decent local legspinner. Our best is a old ex-Pakistani who can't make our First VI.

I think we get the point that you can stand Johns mate lol

Warne a sporting myth ?!?! Please explain

I'm pretty sure John's sided with Toovey ,that was his downfall.None of this is about people being proficient in their job ,It's all dependant on if your toeing the line with the hypocritical zealots.I wouldn't be surprised if this was Ballin's (a Toovey fan) undoing too..
I think that is corect.

Johns was part of the Tovey camp so he is gone.

Probably MCK and the other 14 players were also in the Toovey camp hence why they are gone.

Next year it will the Barrett, Cartwright and Penn show.

God help us if it doesn't work out.

Last edited:
I thought i read somewhere that Barrett would be the attack coach (Cartwright the player manager and the fella from the storm the defensive coach). If that is the case then it would make sense that he would not want an additional halves coach
Not only that however. I heard he doesn't want to have on his coaching staff the brother of the guy who makes fun of the name Trent.

You would think at this stage of his career, DCE would improve his game pretty much by himself. I don't think Andrew johns would have been a great role model at the club with his well documented love for partying. If he is replaced by someone with a more responsible head than I think that would be for the better. The players need expert coaches to work with not a drinking buddy.
Matt.... Barrett has a pretty good rap for partying as well , but remember they are both older and wiser ...we hope ....i think its a shame to see Johns go but i have faith that the people making these calls know a wee bit more about things than me .....

You would think at this stage of his career, DCE would improve his game pretty much by himself. I don't think Andrew johns would have been a great role model at the club with his well documented love for partying. If he is replaced by someone with a more responsible head than I think that would be for the better. The players need expert coaches to work with not a drinking buddy.

Having played sport at a decent level, albeit soccer, from my own personal experience I would disagree to a point with you. Once you reach the level of DCE (and to a certain extent Foz) the thing that you take most from coaching sessions is not the technical aspect, but rather having a confidant, someone to bounce ideas against and who can put different twists on scenarios given their experience and challenge your thought process.

Where I would agree with you is if he is coaching the younger members of the halves group, perhaps then his off the pitch antics may not look so great, but seriously the guy is an immortal and can only benefit any halves he works with.

I think we get the point that you can stand Johns mate lol

Warne a sporting myth ?!?! Please explain
Badly phrased. What I mean is that he is the best leg spinner in memory. But as a coach he hasn't been able to develop another top-line local leggie. And I believe he is way off the mark with much of his commentary. ie. Starc doesn't have the mongrel to be a fast bowler; Not picking Haddin undermined Australia's 'culture'... Also both Warne and Johns have highly dubious off-field records yet both a feted as heroes.
Just my opinion.

Overall have been disappointed in our structure and execution in opposition red zone and last tackle options. One would think Andrew Johns would have a bit to do with it. DCE can't control every one, needs someone else eg Foran to pressure receiver in kicks etc.
Watched all Foran's kicks and rarely does he put pressure on receiver or get another set by rolling in goal.
Hopefully this crucial area will be addressed by Barrett.
Now hope I look a goose against Souffs this week by all means.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2