And the first shoulder charge penalty award goes to

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Eagles2nv said:
....... Our very own George Rose.

Honestly it was a great hit, sad to see it penalised.

absolutely great hit indeed. Ridiculous ridiculous rule.
Those sorts of hits are one of the things that separate us from the other "football" codes.

Maybe they'd rather him hang his left arm out and break Morris' jaw.

Stupid rule, he was beaten by footwork only to step off his right foot and hit him solid shoulder on shoulder. Great tackle.

Had no problems. Of course ones like last night show the 'good' from that type of shot, but it is rightly being removed because of the higher percentage of 'bad' results.

Check earlier in the game to see the hit Inglis put on Reynolds (IIRC) that was just as good but at least met the guidelines of not tucking the arm in and leading with the shoulder.

Despite Gus' sook, the interpretations showed that the good hit is still possible and won't be penalised.

I thought the Inglis hit closely resembled a Matai special, which makes me more sure Matai will be fine under the new rule.

How many "bad" results from shoulder charges has there actually ever been?

Daniel said:

Only the one. The hit Snake took on Grand Final day from Crocker and Slater. The rest were fine. That one was deliberate.;)

It just seems like the rule was brought in despite actual evidence of issues. Oh well I guess it's a thing of the past and our sport will soon be mixed sex

It's going to be interesting come Origin time (it's supposedly used as an Australian Selection Trial and should be played under International rules (rlif hasn't passed this law)) - so a loop hole if need be for clubs will be this if player X is charged whilst playing Origin clubs will use that as a loop hole.
I know I would be.

By the way under international rules every game played under 2 refs should only be counted as exhibition games at best

Daniel said:

The League made clear that for the number of true shoulder charges attempted per match, their percentage of going wrong was far higher than conventional tackling with arms involved.

The Inglis hit showed there is still room for great hits without resorting to the poorly controlled use of the leading shoulder.

A lot of you blokes are making the same noises that were made when the League stamped out a lot of the dirty play in the 80s that used to be rampant during the course of a game, with a lot of people complaining it was 'taking away from what League is' or 'soon we'll be playing netball'.

Just a quick question...when an attacking front rower drops the shoulder into a would be defender and knocks him out of the way, should he be penalised as it was a shoulder charge. Just it was the attacker doing it. How silly could we get with this rule, yesterday Rose getting penalised for that charge is stupid. My daughter now wants to try out for the NRL...

Townsville Eagle said:
Just a quick question...when an attacking front rower drops the shoulder into a would be defender and knocks him out of the way, should he be penalised as it was a shoulder charge. Just it was the attacker doing it. How silly could we get with this rule, yesterday Rose getting penalised for that charge is stupid. My daughter now wants to try out for the NRL...

The obligation has always been for the defender to correctly position themselves to make the tackle, and that only if the attacker uses an illegal action (raised knee, point of elbow) will there be a penalty awarded to the defending team in the event of them coming off second best.

Daniel said:
It just seems like the rule was brought in despite actual evidence of issues. Oh well I guess it's a thing of the past and our sport will soon be mixed sex
Wishful thinking?

Hamster Huey said:
Daniel said:

The League made clear that for the number of true shoulder charges attempted per match, their percentage of going wrong was far higher than conventional tackling with arms involved.

The Inglis hit showed there is still room for great hits without resorting to the poorly controlled use of the leading shoulder.

A lot of you blokes are making the same noises that were made when the League stamped out a lot of the dirty play in the 80s that used to be rampant during the course of a game, with a lot of people complaining it was 'taking away from what League is' or 'soon we'll be playing netball'.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlv6BrrxD_4[/video]

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8