An end to upgrade grants could force issue on stadiums stalemate

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
Dean Ritchie
The Daily Telegraph
May 03, 201212:00AM

A STATE government report is expected to spell the end of financial upgrades to Sydney's battling suburban grounds and bring the NRL a step closer to the AFL's controversial two-stadium format.

NSW Sports Minister Graham Annesley said the state government could not force clubs to shift from their traditional home games. But he stressed that in the current economic climate clubs may not be assured of multi-million dollar grants for stadium upgrades.

The Daily Telegraph understands the report will recommend the government focus on three or four Sydney stadiums in strategic metropolitan and regional locations.

A source claims the strategy would lead to calls for Sydney clubs to shift up to four of their biggest games each season to Moore Park or Homebush.

St George Illawarra and Manly will be pressured to take their premier matches away from Kogarah and Brookvale. Shifting matches to the 30,000-seat Allianz Stadium could reap clubs between $400,000 and $500,000 a game.

State government sources claim there isn't enough money to build and maintain a string of 20,000- to 30,000-seat stadiums throughout Sydney. The state government will next month receive a KPMG Stadia Strategy document that will reveal the priorities for future investment.

"The purpose of the report is to provide government with a road map to guide future government investment, as and when it becomes available," Annesley said.

WIN Kogarah, Centrebet Stadium and Toyota Stadium have received government funding in recent years. Suburban grounds may still receive small grants to upgrade facilities.

But the government does not believe it can justify up to six or seven multi-million dollar stadiums around Sydney, especially when they are only used up to 12 times a year and require weekly up-keep. The AFL plays most of its games out of the MCG or Etihad Stadium. But Sydney fans want sides to keep playing at suburban grounds.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/an-end-to-upgrade-grants-could-force-issue-on-stadiums-stalemate/story-e6frexnr-1226345223068

I think Brookie's days are numbered unfortunately... I just hope fans will actually travel to Moore Park for games.

If that's the case then

6 games at Brookie
4 games at SFS ($2,000,0000)
1 game at Suncorp
1 game floating various

and yet how much money (in recent years) did St George get to upgrade both their stadiums?

Even then the thing partially fell down under strong winds, and still got rebuilt with taxpayers money.

Newcastle...Bulldogs (and they dont play there)...Penrith.....Melbourne.....Gold Coast....Greater western Sydney.....Holroyd Goannas at greystanes(brand new for afl) and im sure there is more

This is very bad news for Manly, did you think Manly fans will consistently travel down to the SFS ( and i mean more than 10,000 ) for games. We struggle with crowds at Brookvale sometimes with various factors (weather, other events e.g Easter show, quality of opposition, timeslots ), if we can't get money to upgrade Brookvale we are going to struggle to survive in current set up as Manly Warringah Sea Eagles.

swoop said:
focus on three or four Sydney stadiums in strategic metropolitan and regional locations.

Surely the only ground in Sydneys North would count as a strategic metropolitan location.

The West certainly doesn't need anymore funding, they have new or upgraded stadiums galore out there.

Brookie4eva said:
swoop said:
focus on three or four Sydney stadiums in strategic metropolitan and regional locations.

Surely the only ground in Sydneys North would count as a strategic metropolitan location.

The West certainly doesn't need anymore funding, they have new or upgraded stadiums galore out there.

Trouble is the opposing argument would still be that Brookie is only used 12 or x times per year.

AshfieldBazza said:
This is very bad news for Manly, did you think Manly fans will consistently travel down to the SFS ( and i mean more than 10,000 ) for games.

Its pretty weak if they don't. I have been doing the opposite (Randwick to Brookie) for a long time now and I know a lot of Manly fans who travel much further (some from Campbelltown and even Mudgee) to get to Brookie every second week and you never hear them complain about the distance. They just love watching Manly play. If you love your team you will do it. IMO, anyone who doesn't go out of protest does not have the clubs best interests at heart. We mightn't like it but it's the way of the future. If you want your team to survive, follow them if you can, no matter where they play. I know it's a touchy subject because we all love Brookie, but I would hope the people who say they wouldn't go would change their minds if it happened. I know some of these people and they are manly tragics who I know love the club.

If the government are
Going to do that I think they have to subsidize free buses from
The northern beaches on game days like the ones the club did last year for the prelim final

They've spent millions and millions of dollars on stadiums already such as Win stadium and many others. After spending so much are they going to let those stadiums die a natural death?

One way to fill these larger stadiums would be to make the games double headers. so that there were 2 games on at say the footy stadium on a Saturday and 2 on at homebush on a Sunday every week.

Cameron said:
If the government are
The northern beaches on game days like the ones the club did last year for the prelim final

The Swans have the Special Events Buses go form here now for all their games.

NRL please explain!

Logistically speaking i just cant get to the SFS as easily as Brookie so it would mean a reduction in the games i attend and im one of the commited ones.

We will make the roosters 10K crowd figures at SFS look good if we go there

HappilyManly said:
Cameron said:
If the government are

The Swans have the Special Events Buses go form here now for all their games.

NRL please explain!

I'd say the reason Manly don't have the same special event buses is that they still play out of Brookvale Oval.

I can completely see why the government may come to this conclusion. When you take off your Manly glasses It makes complete sense as there are so many more things that need money in front of a stadium that will see 12 games a year in reality. However the government waste so much money on other useless schemes/projects they should give us the money instead of wasting it on other redundant projects.

There is not ONE quality stadium in Sydney's north. Yet the Government spends a bomb on upgrading the Showground at Homebush for GWS to play fumbleball.
Build a stadium like the SFS somewhere north of the harbour bridge - preferrably close to a train station (and south of Gosford) and you'd have big crowds. The stadium could be used for all football codes.
It's all very well for the old chestnut about Melbourne having only two major AFL grounds but we all know that they are well serviced by public transport.

The Who said:
There is not ONE quality stadium in Sydney's north. Yet the Government spends a bomb on upgrading the Showground at Homebush for GWS to play fumbleball.
Build a stadium like the SFS somewhere north of the harbour bridge - preferrably close to a train station (and south of Gosford) and you'd have big crowds. The stadium could be used for all football codes.
It's all very well for the old chestnut about Melbourne having only two major AFL grounds but we all know that they are well serviced by public transport.

StIves show ground could be a good spot to build a ground

Berkeley_Eagle said:
The Who said:

StIves show ground could be a good spot to build a ground

Not that close to a train station, unfortunately. Roseville Park would be great. It is quite a big area but it would mean getting rid of tennis courts. I also think Chatswood Oval would be good, although probably too small an area.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6