Am I the only one

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Cameron

Make Manly Great Again #Hasler2019
A premiership is a premiership and you dont see too many of them so that makes them special but i gotta say Sunday night my feeling was one more of relieve than eurphioa as it was in 08 and i've been trying to put my finger of why.

i know 08 was so sweet because of where we had been as a club since 1997 and also because it was 40 nil. But maybe it was more shock because i dont think any of us was expecting us to win this comp back in march.

Does anyone else feel the same.

Yeah Cambo, certainly a different feeling. When you think about it, since 1978, we have won a comp every 9-12 years or so. So to win one so close is a new feeling for the maroon and white army, but certainly a good feeling, that's for sure. For me, 2008 was special in many ways. It wasn't just the win, but the redemption against Melbourne, a win (and a try) for the Beaver, and the amazing scoreline. This time, it was to doubt the knockers (I'm sure Laurie Daley picked us to come last), and yes, a sense of relief to finish on top of the fast finishing Warriors. As someone else said the other day, you keep hating us, and we'll keep lifting trophies.

Cambo said:
A premiership is a premiership and you dont see too many of them so that makes them special but i gotta say Sunday night my feeling was one more of relieve than eurphioa as it was in 08 and i've been trying to put my finger of why.

i know 08 was so sweet because of where we had been as a club since 1997 and also because it was 40 nil. But maybe it was more shock because i dont think any of us was expecting us to win this comp back in march.

This one was totally unexpected and that is the feeling you are having.

In our past two premierships we deserved them and were at the top, success was expected.

Finals 1995, 1996, 1997 we were the best team for years and the 96 GF should not have been our only win

2008 we were up there as one of the best teams for both 2007 and 2008 we were expecting the win, and it had been a long time between drinks, euphoria was expected.

This one was complete shock. By all rights we were 2 years away, which bodes well for the next 2 years really.

I am with you. Whilst I was over the moon it was nothing like 08. I would have thought I would be even more overjoyed with this years win considering we were not expected to win it. Or maybe I liked 08 due to the disappointed of losing the year before. Still not sure. One other reason could be the constant negative press the club is getting. From us struggling financially, need of a new home ground, in fighting within the club, talk of the coach leaving etc. That does take some shine of it I think and might contribute to the loss of feeling.

I think it comes down to the opponents Cambo - unlike previous Grand Finals I dont hate Warriors like I did Storm, St george, Parra, sharks etc.

Also we were red hot favourites, unlike 2008, this year it was sort of expected.

After the demise into the NE Merger, I feared that I had seen my last Manly Premiership. So the 2008 Premiership felt like 1972, vindication of our supporting the most unloved Club.
Now we are back to expecting Premierships, so the feeling is one of accomplishment and not of amazement.
Still a very happy emotion :)

It's relief, unexpected, unbelieveable, shock, satisfaction all rolled up into one. But I agree Cambo it just seems different.

Would of been nice had we beaten the scum instead of the warriors in the GF.

The Wheel said:
Also we were red hot favourites, unlike 2008, this year it was sort of expected.

Not really sure where you have been this year Wheel, but the Dragons were favourites almost all year, then The Storm for the latter part..

We were $26 at one stage, I would agree with Dan it was totally and completely unexpected. I doubted we might make the 8 prior to Round 1.

I too feel strange about this one.

Don't worry Cambo this will cheer you up mate. Our newest signing (new winger I think)

[attachment=185]

Attachments

• Wilson.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 8
I felt we'd won the week before when Melbourne and the Bronco's were cactus. Winning the GF was the iceing on the cake.We were already the best team in the country by then.

Daniel said:
Cambo said:

This one was totally unexpected and that is the feeling you are having.

In our past two premierships we deserved them and were at the top, success was expected.

Finals 1995, 1996, 1997 we were the best team for years and the 96 GF should not have been our only win

2008 we were up there as one of the best teams for both 2007 and 2008 we were expecting the win, and it had been a long time between drinks, euphoria was expected.

This one was complete shock. By all rights we were 2 years away, which bodes well for the next 2 years really.

Yeah good points, and after the last 2 years of intense trauma for Brett (which certainly effected everyone in the team and the supporters), this feeling is prob the aftermath of relief combined with almost disbelief because no one expected such great success so soon.

Plus all the recent drama surrounding Hoppa, Gallop, Des, Zorba, Gifty's fiance, Matai at the GF anthem.....gawd its been emotional overload for everyone from go to whoa haha! :angel: :heart:

Looking forward to a relaxing summer and a great 2012 season!

i have to say i didnt enjoy the game at all on sunday. At no stage was i confident until killer finnally planted the knock out blow.

at 18-10 all i could think of is an 8 point try against us, i just had that bad feeling all day we were gonna get rorted.
Glad i was wrong.

Cambo said:
i have to say i didnt enjoy the game at all on sunday. At no stage was i confident until killer finnally planted the knock out blow.

at 18-10 all i could think of is an 8 point try against us, i just had that bad feeling all day we were gonna get rorted.
Glad i was wrong.

Exactly my feelings.

Even re-watching it for the 3rd or 4th time I still dont feel all that relaxed.

bob dylan said:
The Wheel said:

Not really sure where you have been this year Wheel, but the Dragons were favourites almost all year, then The Storm for the latter part..

We were $26 at one stage, I would agree with Dan it was totally and completely unexpected. I doubted we might make the 8 prior to Round 1.

I too feel strange about this one.

I was talking about the Grand Final Bob - $1.48 in a two horse race is considered odds on IMO

The Wheel said:
I was talking about the Grand Final Bob - $1.48 in a two horse race is considered odds on IMO

And maybe that is what is strange about it, we went from a rough hope, to a good chance to a certainty within a few months.

I loved sunday but yeah the feeling was very different to 08 at the ground, I enjoyed the friendly banter with the Warriors fans compared to wanting to headbutt the Storm fans in 07/08.
The feeling of euphoria was massive on sunday night and I think that had a lot to do with what snake had been through and how closely we all followed his case.
Winning so close to 08 was a great triumph and I feel so blessed to follow such a great club!!

For me it probably has something to do with the teams Manly played in the finals series. First a Cowboys team that had been struggling since Thurston was injured in Origin. The team I feared most in the finals (the Tigers) were knocked out in week two of the finals. The next most feared team for me as a Manly fan were the Dragons. Not only were they knocked out by Brisbane but Lockyer smashed his cheekbone in the process ruling him out of the clash with Manly. An easy run into the GF for Manly. And the GF was against a team that Manly have dominated in most recent clashes. I was never nervous during the game, I always thought Manly were in control. Great to chalk up premiership number 8 , but it just doesn't feel like a premiership in the way it did in 87, 96 and 08. It's weird.

I think it has plenty to do with the News Ltd press the NRl and the poor way they put the day together. In past GF appearances we have been able to enjoy the build up at the fanzone out the front of the stadium where we could catch up with some old faces that we may not have seen for a while and enjoy a beer soaking up the pre game atmosphere. It just wasn't there!

Whilst I enjoyed the game like bones I was always very confident we had their measure and would come away with the victory, back at the club was all about letting our collective hair down despite the PC police trying to prevent anyone from having too much fun, god forbid!

So whilst some aspects are a little different i.e. not being able to tear strips off the oppontants supporters like we did in 08, due to the nature of our Kiwi friends, we nonetheless kicked ass and won the Comp. It may take a while but it will sink in and everyone we feel ten foot tall walking around in their Manly gear for the next 6 or so months like I will.

I will also say I probably also feel this way as we had only won the GF 3 years earlier. In previous GF victories it was much longer between drinks!!!!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6