All those wanting Orford Shipped Off.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
Many on these forums and elsewhere are calling for Orford's head and maybe justifiably so. His fifth tackle options in certain games were diabolical and he was missing on Friday, though so were many of his mates.

However, last year, one might remember when he was injured for a few weeks and his replacement, Jeff Robson (remember him) was just awful and we looked a shocker of a side. That same Jeff Robson, was the winning halfback for the Slimes.

My point is that despite frustration with Orford, we have to have a better option before casting him off.

I don't know if Hodkinson is the real deal or whether Cherry-Evans in the 20s is up to NRL standard. What I do know is that Neumann and T-Rex were abysmal in Frist Grade but Superstars in the Queensland Cup.

What other options do we have for half?

Lyon 5/8, Foran 1/2, Farrar 3/4. If you don't like Farrar, let's get into the market for a centre and make a decision on whether Lyon is going to be our 5/8 permanently or not.

Canteen Worker link said:
Many on these forums and elsewhere are calling for Orford's head and maybe justifiably so. His fifth tackle options in certain games were diabolical and he was missing on Friday, though so were many of his mates.

However, last year, one might remember when he was injured for a few weeks and his replacement, Jeff Robson (remember him) was just awful and we looked a shocker of a side. That same Jeff Robson, was the winning halfback for the Slimes.

My point is that despite frustration with Orford, we have to have a better option before casting him off.

I don't know if Hodkinson is the real deal or whether Cherry-Evans in the 20s is up to NRL standard. What I do know is that Neumann and T-Rex were abysmal in Frist Grade but Superstars in the Queensland Cup.

What other options do we have for half?

I dont agree that we need a better option, just another, its time for a change

CW, that fence sitting must be excrutiatingly painful.  Your comment on Robson?  Is that a comment on Hasler's coaching?

Orford should sign for one year only with a one year option until we can sort out his replacement. 

Although it is pretty difficult to know how Hodkinson would go in first grade as Des keeps pickling Orford even though he has been injured all year. 

I'm happy for Orford to stay while we search for a suitable replacement, however it has to be on our terms, not his. He has lost his bargaining power and Manly shouldn't let him push them around. If he wont budge and keeping him means we lose Foran, Lyon Watmough or Stewart (who are all off contract), then I am willing to put up with some short term pain, without an experienced half, for long term gain.

honestly I like the idea of developing a half back rather than buying someone elses

I like Foran in the halves - either 5/8 or 7 and apparently Hodkinson or Cherry-Evans aren't bad. Foran at 7 and Lyon at 6 is a possibility.

I dont like these suggestions that Foran is a number 7 and barely anyone has watched Hodkinson play, I don't see him as a better option than Orford at this point in time, but he is a different option and we should give him a run in the trials

The point with Robson just gets suppressed and ignored by the blind.  He was crucified here and hasn't suddenly turned into some star.  But he's part of a currently winning formula for Parra.  

To expect a halfback to run all of a side's attack and to be responsible and accountable for team attacking performances is simply naive.  One point of attack is too easy to nullify.  When Manly focused on Inglis, Slater ran riot - and Cooper Cronk was not even needed.  Those who are naive enough to point the finger at one player have totally missed the point. Orford's market value has certainly been diminished this year.

And those who equate T-Rex's prior performances on the wing with his current performances closer in have stopped looking for what's currently true as it currently unfolds.

Foran is a top-grader, but if he is to become a quality half or 5/8th and reach his potential, he needs serious and intense and persistent kicking stills training. And Cliffy taking him under his wing to pass on his knowledge and techniques wouldn't go astray either.

What don't you like about Foran's chances of making a fist of halfback Dan ?

Rex link said:
Foran is a top-grader, but if he is to become a quality half or 5/8th and reach his potential, he needs serious and intense and persistent kicking stills training

The same serious, intensive and persistent kicking skills training that Orford has been partaking in for the last 3 years ?

Chip & Chase link said:
What don't you like about Foran's chances of making a fist of halfback Dan ?

he hasn't shown any massive individual creativity in attack, i dont know that he could steer the ship so to speak

Dan link said:
he hasn't shown any massive individual creativity in attack, i dont know that he could steer the ship so to speak

Is that cause he can't or cause he's told not to? It always looks to me like they've all been told to let Orford run the show. Des seems to be very anti creativity.

MANLY WARRINGAH SEA EAGLES ONLINE STORE

!!!NEW ITEM!!!

ROSE COLOURED GLASSES - $1

Stop having a boring tune, stop having a boring life. With these re-released 2005 edition Rose Coloured Glasses you could eat your own feces without realising what you are doing.

So stop suffering through that S**t sandwich and pretend to walking through a freshly planted rose garden while highlights of manly's greatest ever moments are flashed before your eyes. What are you waiting for, life has never looked this GOOD!!!

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Club Members: All 2009 club members get a 100% discount on this product.

ads link said:
[quote author=Dan link=topic=181735.msg241839#msg241839 date=1252893295]

Is that cause he can't or cause he's told not to? It always looks to me like they've all been told to let Orford run the show. Des seems to be very anti creativity.
[/quote]

A bit of both  think. I just dont think it would be smart to put him there, same problem we are having now. Single playmaker

I watched Trent in the Sunny Coast game on Saturday, not a "bad" player but also not yet at NRL standard.

I think bring him up for a few games next year and see how he handles it, if he goes well all well and good.

That would mean Orford gets a one year deal, which at his age I think is about all he could expect in the NRL.

And I think there's more to blame in the side than just him, although his gameon Friday was his worst for a long time...just was no where to be seen in the first half, and by then it was all over!!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6