All Taxpayers to Sponsor State of Origin.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Frogz

Bencher
Premium Member
Well this will do me...The labour Government have thrown hundreds of millions of dollars at The Auto Industry, which we are led to beleive is on its knees, yet Holden can find $5million to sponsor The SOO and The Kangaroos......How about some members seats Julia....or even $30 million for Brookvale.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/state-of-origin/australian-car-giant-holden-set-to-sponsor-league-pinnacles-state-of-origin-and-kangaroos-from-2013/story-fn31yxah-1226542249695

I suppose Holden has an advertising budget to adhere to, or it may lose further market share, I would say it's all a question of balance.

Frogz said:
Well this will do me...The labour Government have thrown hundreds of millions of dollars at The Auto Industry, which we are led to beleive is on its knees, yet Holden can find $5million to sponsor The SOO and The Kangaroos......How about some members seats Julia....or even $30 million for Brookvale.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/state-of-origin/australian-car-giant-holden-set-to-sponsor-league-pinnacles-state-of-origin-and-kangaroos-from-2013/story-fn31yxah-1226542249695

Gee that's a long bow to stretch.
The government does not own Holden or ford.
Your thinking would blame the labour government, as you put it, for every thing wrong in the world.
Doesn't the government own shares in Telstra. They are sponsors.

The government doesnt own Holden....But have thrown them hundreds of thousands of million dollar bills.....
I dont care who the government owns, but they dont throw millions at Telstra when jobs are lost...its just stiff sh1t then....
But Holden have been copping it sweet for years....I just think its poor form to be out spending new dollars now, when they are again crying poor.....
And I cant see where I said the govrenment was to blame for everything.....anyway keep paying your taxes and enjoy.

They dont even sell more cars when they win at Bathurst....or teh Touring Car Championship...Let alone SOO....Gotta sell a lot of Holdens to make up $5 million.

Got no problem with the NRL getting the sponsorship...its just where the $$$ is coming from

Frogz said:
The government doesnt own Holden....But have thrown them hundreds of thousands of million dollar bills.....
I dont care who the government owns, but they dont throw millions at Telstra when jobs are lost...its just stiff sh1t then....
But Holden have been copping it sweet for years....I just think its poor form to be out spending new dollars now, when they are again crying poor.....
And I cant see where I said the govrenment was to blame for everything.....anyway keep paying your taxes and enjoy.

Mate you have an Axe to grind against the government (Labor that you pointed out) or Holden. Companies get government grants every day to help with development and to keep industries going to help jobs. Advertising is all part of the business.
P S
I read that the Federal gov gave N S W origin legends 1.2 mil last year in a grant and no one knows where that money has gone. That's why N S W Rugby League kicked them out.

There seems to be alot of issues over how gov money is spent out there.

I remember reading recently that the grants to Australian automobile manufacturers amounted to something like $54,000 per employee. I have a Holden and most Aussies should have an Aussie built car because they are designed for our conditions. Every bought foreign built car hits our national balance of payments. But at $50k+ per employee you have to wonder whether we should bother, especially after the bleating from the foreign execs who seem to dislike every facet of doing business with us. $5M for advertising is small change in the scheme of things.

Australia has traditionally been weak at manufacturing and has relied on agriculture and mining to keep our economy afloat. There was a time when we heard that we were going to be pinning our future hopes on being well-educated, but that didn't quite eventuate.

The issue raised is a legitimate one. Particularly when the federal govt also subsidised Ford only this year to the tune of 34 million dollars only for Ford to turn around and wipe out hundreds of local jobs.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/ford-workers-sacked-from-broadmeadows-and-geelong-plants/story-fndo3ewo-1226517812844

Lessons
1. if you give money to private owners they will use it as best suits them
2. Giving money to private owners is a stupid way to try to protect our own workers' jobs
3. Following NRL has little to do with logic

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4