Alex McKinnon

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
SeaEagleRock8 said:
2HD news reporting he is a quadriplegic. Shattering if this is true.

Unfortunately the terrible news is true. Im shattered for him and my very best wishes go out to him and his family.

Dreadful news about the boy being a quadriplegic, I also feel for the Melbourne player who has to live with what happened.

When things settle down, the young Knight can rebuild things. For those of you of my vintage, there was a Penrith player in 1978 called John Farragher, he was a young prop forward and he was injured when a scrum collapsed on top of him. He was given a similar diagnosis and a bleak outlook.

John went on to be and remains the doorman at the Panthers club, he got married and he also had a son.

I know this is not the time to discuss Alex's future but there is life after this and I pray that he can find a way forward.

Think there could be a bit of sloppy reporting going around here

Read another thing that said he has quadrapalegia, which means that there is damage to the spinal cord, but it is not severed, and there is a chance of walking again and recovering a bit

Either way is terrible, but that above if true is a better outlook for him at least

Quadriplegia means four limbs are affected by paralysis. How severe won't be known for a few months or so.

Even though the spinal cord isn't severed, severe bruising and swelling on the spinal cord is just as bad.

Really feel for the young bloke.

swoop said:
Even though the spinal cord isn't severed, severe bruising and swelling on the spinal cord is just as bad.

Correct. I heard a statement from a well known doc last week re spinal problems and he said this. If the spinal cord is bruised, to any degree, it almost always does not recover. Brusiing is almost just as bad as the spinal cord being severed.

Nothing much can be said in this case. Just terrible news. Stay strong Alex.

Gee that's just terrible news. Can only hope that given time and rehab he gets some good results. His level of fitness and strength and his years of training and work ethic should give him a better than average chance one hopes. Tough road ahead for the young bloke, wish him all the best.

That is really sad news. I really wish him all the very best.

I hope that he makes the best recovery possible and that the NRL and Knights look after him.

It's a shame it takes something like this to put life in perspective.
Like bones, I haven't been able to get it out of my mind since hearing about the extent of Alex's injury.

Like some of you here, I'm old enough to remember John Farragher's injury at Henson Park. John's son is playing NYC I think (Jake I think his name is)

I just feel for the guy.

sheridanstand78 said:
Dreadful news about the boy being a quadriplegic, I also feel for the Melbourne player who has to live with what happened.

When things settle down, the young Knight can rebuild things. For those of you of my vintage, there was a Penrith player in 1978 called John Farragher, he was a young prop forward and he was injured when a scrum collapsed on top of him. He was given a similar diagnosis and a bleak outlook.

John went on to be and remains the doorman at the Panthers club, he got married and he also had a son.

I know this is not the time to discuss Alex's future but there is life after this and I pray that he can find a way forward.

When working at Panthers in the early nineties, I had the honour and pleasure of making Johnny Farragher's acquaintance. An absolute gentlemen. The thing that struck me the most (and why I love league in general) was the way the Panthers looked after him. They were his additional family. And I'm sure no matter what happens with Alex going forward, the Knights and rugby leauge supporters will forever be there for him.

Men of League will also be a big help....I'm a member (costs about $50 to join and its a once only fee)......I also support a few functions by attending.

Well worth considering for ALL fans

I would hope the NRL support Alex as well. I would also imagine there would be insurance cover which will help Alex in this long battle ahead. I wish him & his family all the best.

All the commercial TV networks this morning confirming the quadriplegia diagnosis. Terrible, terrible news.

Scumbag media have come up with this themselves it seems

Newcastle have released a statement saying that the news is still the same as it was last Sunday and they are extremely disappointed at the sensationalised media reports

Statement from the Knights:

There were no new developments on Monday in regards to Alex McKinnon’s condition.

The Club has continued to provide factual updates in consultation with Alex’s family at this delicate time.

Alex was brought out of an induced coma following his initial surgery last Tuesday and has been conscious since. Doctors confirmed Alex had suffered a devastating spinal injury on Wednesday. On Sunday he was able to communicate with his family after his assisted ventilation was removed.

While Alex’s condition continues to improve, his body is in the first phase of recovery. As previously shared, he has movement in his right arm and the uncertainty remains in the extent of further recovery. The doctors explained any regeneration and recovery could be up to two years.

As Alex remains in hospital in a serious but stable condition, visitation is restricted. Therefore coach Wayne Bennett visited on Monday without Alex’s teammates as initially planned.

The Club is extremely disappointed in the sensationalised television news story on Monday night about this tragic situation.

One of the most important factors for Alex at this time is hope, which was jeopardised by this report.

The Club and the McKinnons appreciate the respectful way other media have handled and reported on Alex’s condition.

Club staff will continue to stay with Alex and his family in Melbourne and continue to provide any appropriate update in consultation with his family. We again request Alex and his family's privacy is respected at this time.

To Members, fans and all who are sending their best wishes, thank you.

All offers of financial and in-kind support are appreciated however our focus remains on Alex. When the time is appropriate, the Club will notify how your contribution can be accepted.

From Alex’s family; Kate and Scott McKinnon (Alex’s parents) and Teigan Power (Alex’s partner):

“We would once again like to thank the public and media for the ongoing show of concern and support for our son and partner, Alex.

“While there is a lot of detail being reported about Alex’s condition, it is important to remember that it is still early days for him post-injury.

“Those close to Alex know he is strong, and that he is a fighter and, that alone, is reason to remain hopeful.”

Messages of support for Alex and his family can be emailed to [email protected]. All messages we receive will be given to Alex and his family at the appropriate time.

#RiseForAlex

Thanks for sharing bones.

Hopefully is prognosis is better than reported yesterday. I fear he has a long road ahead, so hopefully he can make a full recovery.

The knights said they will retire the No.16 jersey for the rest of the season. I think that is a nice sign of respect.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4