1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AFL TV rights deal

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by fLIP, Apr 28, 2011.

1. fLIP

fLIP UFO Hunter

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +790 / 15
    I guess this rules channel 7 out of the running for the NRL unless they decide on a dedicated sports channel?

THE AFL has confirmed a $1.253 billion TV rights deal for the next five years, which will see all AFL games shown live.
    Watch the announcement live at Fox Sports.

Channel 7 and pay-TV giant Foxtel have secured the AFL's broadcast contracts, with the online rights going to Telstra.

The free-to-air network will have a minimum of four games per round, while Foxtel will show all nine games live, every week.

Friday night football, as well as Saturday night and Sunday afternoon footy will all be shown live on free-to-air.

Only the Saturday afternoon game will be subject to delayed coverage on free-to-air.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/business/afl-announces-1bn-tv-rights-deal/story-e6frfm1i-1226046325694#ixzz1KnddZvbQ

2. clontaago

clontaago Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    Yep was gonna post this earlier Flip but forgot.

ALL games to be shown live on Foxtel. Here's hoping the NRL can negotiate something similar.

3. The Gronk

The Gronk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    channel 10 has dropped off from the AFL, so perhaps they are better placed to bid for some of the NRL

4. torana355

torana355 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,491 / 27
    Damb this means the NRL will be on either 9 or 10 which both suck.... I hope we get all games live on foxtel like the AFL though.

5. codewana

codewana Active Member

Ratings:
    +58 / 0
    I hope Foxtel get all the games for us.

6. Rambo1987

Rambo1987 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +212 / 2
    The AFL are getting their own ch on Fox like they did before.

7. Masked Eagle

Masked Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +976 / 0
    Does that mean you think Ch7 do a good job? Personally, in terms of pre-game & post-game stuff, I think Ch9 poops all over the other FTA channels in just about all sports they cover.

8. Captain of the Gate

Captain of the Gate Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0
    Let them have AFL I don't want 7 anywhere near NRL. They can't cover sport to save their lives. Their directors are terrible, graphics tacky and worst of all terrible commentators. My prime example Tennis. Their coverage was virtually unwatchable most matches, off angles, annoying commentators and very little added outside of actual games.

I'm expecting a split dreal between 9 and 10 with the left overs going to foxtel. One of the two free to airs will buy Monday night football cause it rates so well, don't expect Monday Night Football to go away any time soon.

9. Brookie4eva

Brookie4eva Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +175 / 1
    That's a bit harsh, I'm sure everyone on here would love to have Bruce McAvaney as lead NRL commentator :p :p

10. eagles2win

eagles2win Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +494 / 0
    It would be a 'special' experience. Especially with the 'special' plays that Benji puts on, the 'special' victories that rugby league often produces :lol:

11. Stevo

Stevo Well-Known Member

NSW
    Ratings:
    +1,319 / 47
    Realisticlly, channel 9 don't do a bad job. It's just all of their commentators are ****wits!

12. Jono

Jono Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +176 / 5
    "What a great team, I could go on and on....and I will. Mitchell Aubersson what a great name...etc etc"

13. Captain of the Gate

Captain of the Gate Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0
    Well in an interesting twist Channel 7 are paying less for this deal than they did the last deal. How is that possible you ask?
    Foxtel has picked up more of teh tab now that they are able to cover all games live but that isn't the crux. A big chunk of the rights deal is being paid by Telstra, the very people who own our premiership sponsor rights. Telstra have bought the rights to show all games live on T-Box and vis Bigpond, allowing people to watch all games (bar the grand final) live anywhere they want. That is a huge aquisition for an online medium.
    Too bad NRL virtually gave away all online coverage to bigpond for virutally nothing a few years ago.

14. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,462 / 74
    Sure is and makes me glad I have a TBOX

15. Matabele

Matabele Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 6
    If Gallop can't come up with every game live, and $1.25bn+ it should be the death knell for him. Rugby League is a vastly superior TV product.