AFL Free Kicks

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

susan

Bencher
I see on Fox Sports the AFL has adopted the approach of not awarding free kicks for the 50/50s and only obvious infringements are being pulled up.It has created a bit of controversy but seems to have been gleefully accepted by players/commentators/coaches/fans.Free kick numbers are massively down- 13 less per game in fact.46 to 33.Most of the reduction comes in the finicky grey areas of the game.IN OUR GAME THAT IS THE RUCK AREA MR SMITH!!!

Letting the players and not the pink fools decide a game would seem to be obvious but Mr Potato Head,Greenturd and co obviously don't think so. No one has ever explained to me why everyone waxes lyrical about the dearth of penalties in origin yet as soon as a club game rolls around the whistles start shrieking overtime as usual.Are we that f...ing stupid in our game.

Don't get me wrong,our game will always be a superior product in my eyes,but it is rare that an AFL game is determined by a blatant Chechinning.This is partly due to more simplistic rules and higher point scores but also due to a general desire to let games flow.

Every league fan I know is tearing their hair out at massive penalty numbers,obvious second half square ups,inconsistency yet the fools that run our game cannot see past their nose.iGNORE THE 50/50S YOU IDIOTS and let our sensational players decide games.Common sense is rare these days but nowhere is that more clear than the NRL.

PS On a rough calculation I have made for the 4 rounds this season,taking into account stoppage time in an 80 minute game,a penalty occurs around every 3 minutes in games contested by the wonderkids of the NRL,the mighty Storm.Great viewing Greenturd.

susan said:
No one has ever explained to me why everyone waxes lyrical about the dearth of penalties in origin yet as soon as a club game rolls around the whistles start shrieking overtime as usual.
Astute observation, as usual

SeaEagleRock8 said:
susan said:
No one has ever explained to me why everyone waxes lyrical about the dearth of penalties in origin yet as soon as a club game rolls around the whistles start shrieking overtime as usual.
Astute observation, as usual

I agree somewhat. The lack of penalties in Origin makes it a better game to watch. Or is it a better game merely because of the players taking part? Out of all the penalties the Roosters gave away last weekend, for instance, which ones would you have been happy for the ref to ignore?

The moment the refs ignore the 50/50 calls, there will be screams from fans of all clubs about bias, poor refereeing, out of touch etc. etc. Also, who determines what a 50/50 call is? Surely that hit on Gifty was not 50/50? But what about not being completely square at marker? I say, if it's a penalty by the laws of the game, the ref must award it.

I agree that there are far too many penalties for minor issues. A penalty can march a team 30-50 metres upfield, and give them a full set of six. It's often way too much of an advantage.
Another thing that has crept into the game is virtually every time a ball is mishandled - regardless of the direction the ball has been dropped - the ref will blow it up. There doesn't seem to be the knocked-back-play-on approach that there should be.

This is why Bill Harrigan is the best referee I have seen. He let the players decide the game and his influence was minimal.
The penalty counts when he was in charge of a game would be 10 or less per game. Not the 20 odd we see from todays refs.

sheridanstand78 said:
With due respect, Harrigan was a mongrel who never did us any favours and was on the news limited and donkies pay roll.

haha - all good sheridanstand. I knew I'd get a few bites with that one. Still the best ref I've seen though.

sheridanstand78 said:
With due respect, Harrigan was a mongrel who never did us any favours and was on the news limited and donkies pay roll.

Yes, he was a good ref but he hates us. I heard him numerous times on the Triple M call last season bagging us. He was particularly harsh on Killer, commenting that he would tell him to piss off each and every time he walks up to the ref for a quiet word.

simon_eagle said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:
susan said:
I say, if it's a penalty by the laws of the game, the ref must award it.

If every penalty was awarded according to the rules of the game the count would be 100- 98 each week. The refs are continually warning players that they are offending but not penalising them and I am happy with that if they are minor indiscretions.It is common sense.At least half the calls made each week are subjective.More than that in the ruck. Usually a play the ball consists of an attacker trying to move forward off the mark and the defender wrestling him to prevent it it. Unless it is blatant let it go ffs. Of course this would prevent the NRL from achieving its main goal- to turn our great game into a speedy game of touch.

simon_eagle said:
sheridanstand78 said:

Yes, he was a good ref but he hates us. I heard him numerous times on the Triple M call last season bagging us. He was particularly harsh on Killer, commenting that he would tell him to piss off each and every time he walks up to the ref for a quiet word.

The best ref was Hollywood.

susan said:
No one has ever explained to me why everyone waxes lyrical about the dearth of penalties in origin yet as soon as a club game rolls around the whistles start shrieking overtime as usual.Are we that f...ing stupid in our game.

Yes. Sadly.

There is some twisted thinking at NRL that somehow it would see Origin lose its luster if all NRL games were refereed and played like Origin.

:angel:

Daddycool08 said:
The best ref was Hollywood.

Found this the other day. Some Tigers player tries to get in Hartley's face. Commentators goes off (is it Mossop?).

[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/C2JttyTZBc0[/video]

Hartley had more refereeing ability in little finger compared to Harrigan. Harrigan was all about Harrigan. Never forget when Tooves as captain said to him in game 1 in 1998 after the super league truce at donkey park against the news limited ponies. The penalty count was 18-6 to them if I remember and we had 2 players in the bin. "It's one competition now Bill" lol and Tooves was binned. Bozo got it right we needed a cement truck for him.

susan said:
PS On a rough calculation I have made for the 4 rounds this season,taking into account stoppage time in an 80 minute game,a penalty occurs around every 3 minutes in games contested by the wonderkids of the NRL,the mighty Storm.Great viewing Greenturd.

With stoppages for penalties, injuries, video ref decisions, etc, the first half of the Warriors/Tigers game last round went for 60 minutes - seriously. Never seen anything like it in rugby league.

I like the idea of short arm penalties or even calling 6 again for infringements around the ruck. No need to march a team 40-50 m down the field.

When you watch the footage of our great team from the 1970s you realise that today's players are no more skillful than they were. They are obviously fitter, but not necessarily better.

Stevo said:
I like the idea of short arm penalties or even calling 6 again for infringements around the ruck. No need to march a team 40-50 m down the field.

6 again is actually a quality idea for ruck infringements!! I like.

The Who said:
When you watch the footage of our great team from the 1970s you realise that today's players are no more skillful than they were. They are obviously fitter, but not necessarily better.

Fitter BUT more injury prone as a result.....the skill levels were there in the 70's but to some extent different skills, also the training regime was about playing for 80 minutes, whereas today (speaking of the forward pack) its about short sharp bursts.

I love the 70's for that grinding hard nosed tougher than nails style of footy we had, todays is different, probably faster and at times more spectacular.

I'd love to see a 70's team play the current team and see how each would go....I think the current team would blow them off the park for the first 20-30 minutes, but the current team would all be walking wounded by about the 60th minute!!

MWSE said:
Stevo said:

6 again is actually a quality idea for ruck infringements!! I like.

It would cut down on a **** load of penalties per game

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4