Ad breaks in matches

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
So, David Gyngell wants matches stopped - like AFL - so they can fit more ads in.
Wow. Wouldn't that be great to be at the game watching... nothing, until the green light comes on from the TV station and allows the players to continue.
If we let TV continue to rule this game it will end up like gridiron - huddles before every set of six (to slot in an ad), and the game divided into quarters.
Again, it looks like the poor mugs who pay to go to the match - the lifeblood of the game - will be shafted in the interest of TV.

Oh yay, can't wait.

For those out there who actually watch the NFL, prepare to have to wait even more - new rules just put in place so that the referees must review every scoring play in the game.

MM like Sunday football doesn't have enough add. I have time to take a dump, read a book, drink a beer and tap the mrs on the bum all in the space of one Sunday channel 9 advert break

Channel 9 wants time to show ad breaks in live games .... WTF, for the one game each week they do show kinda live !!!!

But it will bugger all the games each round.

Brookie4eva said:
Channel 9 wants time to show ad breaks in live games .... WTF, for the one game each week they do show kinda live !!!!

But it will bugger all the games each round.

True and how would that work with the different game showing in QLD vs NSW on a Friday?

To play devils advocate....if it brings in a significant $ which then allows the game to be improved (a very simplistic argument I know) shoold this go ahead?

In my mind there needs to be a ceiling on how much you sell the game however i can see why there will people who support this

Daniel said:
MM like Sunday football doesn't have enough add. I have time to take a dump, read a book, drink a beer and tap the mrs on the bum all in the space of one Sunday channel 9 advert break

I never watch the Sunday match on 9 if Manly are playing. My schedule this Sunday will be the same as last (I attended the Bunnies game).

I go to the Gym from 3.30 to 5.00 then walk the dog from 5.00 to around 5.45. Then hit the shower and tune into Fox at 6.00pm.

I have followed this routine for 2 seasons now and it works fine.

Let's put this into perspective, he said he wanted to pick up about 2 minutes of ads per hour of television. I for one would have no objection to letting the play go on for the fans at the game, but delay the telecast for the 2 minutes they need. That would mean the telecast might be on a 4 minute delay by the end of the game.

If that means we get the $1 billion and my beloved Sea Eagles are financially secure, then I say bring it on.

It's simple mathematics, if the advertisers don't pay the station, then they can't pay the NRL.

Ralphie said:
Let's put this into perspective, he said he wanted to pick up about 2 minutes of ads per hour of television. I for one would have no objection to letting the play go on for the fans at the game, but delay the telecast for the 2 minutes they need. That would mean the telecast might be on a 4 minute delay by the end of the game.

If that means we get the $1 billion and my beloved Sea Eagles are financially secure, then I say bring it on.

It's simple mathematics, if the advertisers don't pay the station, then they can't pay the NRL.

Good thinking. You should suggest this to Gallop and Gyngell. However, how to you manage the radio broadcasts?

That's FUC*ED.
There's already too much advertising, across all commercial tv & radio stations.
Such a sad state of the world that so much of modern society is "driven" by advertising, a scourge of the earth.
Sadly, as others have pointed out, it seems to be a necessary evil to bring in the massive $ needed.

Ralphie said:
That would mean the telecast might be on a 4 minute delay by the end of the game.
If the half-time restart was timed to re-align to scratch, then it's maybe a 2 minutes delay by the end of the game according to your formula.

Rex said:
Ralphie said:
That would mean the telecast might be on a 4 minute delay by the end of the game.
If the half-time restart was timed to re-align to scratch, then it's maybe a 2 minutes delay by the end of the game according to your formula.

Either way 2 minutes or 4 minutes, I could live with a 4 minute delay.

As I mentioned in the Foxtel thread when people were getting excited about all games on FTA. For the NRL to get the $1b+ they are after the FTA networks will want to show more ads. Not sure why people woud be suprised at the news.

Ralphie said:
Rex said:
Ralphie said:

Either way 2 minutes or 4 minutes, I could live with a 4 minute delay.

And, if you think about it, that few minutes delay should theoretically result in improved quality of matches (assuming an increase in salary cap leads to increased overall RL player wages, and therefore better quality RL players).

They will seriously have to slot Sunday arvo footy into a 3 hour timeslot to fit more ads in.

I can see the Storm getting a live match on 9 each week. Nine will love the fact they can fit an ad in during each tackle with the way the storm wrestle and slow down the play the ball.

Ralphie said:

I'd agree with this. They can also catch up a bit at half time. They don't even have to reduce the amount of half time advertising, they could simply reduce the amount of talk from the commentators. If you're watching half time, chances are you also watched the first half and you don't need to see every try replayed at half time. I hate ads as much as the next person but if it means more money for the game then I don't mind seeing some ads so that I don't have to fork out for foxtel. I don't agree with changing the game to suit it though.

Si said:
They will seriously have to slot Sunday arvo footy into a 3 hour timeslot to fit more ads in.
Gyngel said, and I quote:

"We are looking for subtleties that buy us a couple of minutes. A couple of minutes per hour could work out to $50,000 more (in ad revenue) per game."

How does an extra 4 minutes change the telecast from 2 hours to 3 hours????????

It was supposed to be a little tongue in cheek suggesting that if they add more ads they won't just add a couple - they will drag the game out more than seem to already.

Ralphie said:
Si said:
Gyngel said, and I quote:

"We are looking for subtleties that buy us a couple of minutes. A couple of minutes per hour could work out to $50,000 more (in ad revenue) per game."

How does an extra 4 minutes change the telecast from 2 hours to 3 hours????????

Everything nine shows other than Origin and the Finals is delayed anyway, they have every opportunity for advertising.

Moot point really.

I hate ads as much as anyone. That's why I got fox in the first place.
Lets face it though - The free to air channels have to make money & ads are the only way. It you want free to air coverage we don't have a choice.
Accept it.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6