Active Support (the "cheer group" section)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SEanth

Hi guys. First post on here. This will be a big one but bare with me! Doesn't actually take long to read after you first see how long it is.

Manly fan all my life being in Narraweena, though I do admit, my preferred sport is soccer and I love the A-League game day experience and get to way more Sydney FC games than I do Sea Eagles.
One thing that makes that experience is the active support and would love to see much better active support for Manly and even one day be bigger and better than the Burrow with Souffs, who are doing good things (though as they sang "take me home to the place where I belong" we answered and sent them packing home!)

I have some simple ideas to start off with which could possibly even start to work for the grand final in the core bay (though, I am not sure how many in there will be there willing to chant just yet). These are just ideas, not something I'm saying we should 100% do but possibly may be done if we feel it can work.

Firstly though, active support requires someone to lead. Someone with a megaphone, in soccer he is known as the "capo". The capo needs to be someone who REALLY knows what he is doing. By that, not just know the chants word for word, but when exactly to start certain chants, how to explain anything new and how to get everyone going and back up if things are a little quiet.

Secondly, I saw on a facebook fan page which had Manly chants in their notes section. Two of these chants included the RBB "who do we sing for" call and response and another they do along lines of "we love this city we love this team shoulder to shoulder together we sing wanderers" I can not remember the Manly version of it though which I saw.
PLEASE tell me these aren't done? These are unique chants (in Australia) used by the RBB and copying unique chants which groups are known for like that is a HUGE no no, especially if you can not do it anywhere near as good as they can. There are generic chants many A-League and clubs around the world use which are fine to use but when one is only WELL known here by one group, DON'T copy

Now the ideas. First of all, the 'Maaaaaaaaanly" chant I love when everyone gets going. One thing I'd personally like to see added to it, would be to make an eagle flying gesture with out arms while doing this. For example, "Maaaaan" you "fly" you arms (wings) up and "lyyyy" they go back down. Picturing every fan doing this at Homebush and at Brookie in my mind looks amazing. You may all completely disagree!

Hey Jude - Instead of "Hey Jude" It's simply "Manly" so "na, na na na na na naaaaaaaa. Na na na naaaaaaaa Maaanly" See from 4:08 in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq1PCVEcwiE

Yellow Submarine - For the correct tune when it's a sport chant, watch here from 1:17 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a669LPkfJk
Manly Warringah ole ole ole, ole ole ole, ole ole ole. Manly Warringah ole ole ole, ole ole ole, ole ole ole
ole oleeeee ole oleeeee Manly Warringah, ole oleee. Ole oleeeee ole oleeee Manly Warringah oleee oleee

Overhead claps - very simple one. Arms up in air and wide. Either Capo does a "3, 2, 1" everyone does a clap and yells "MANLY" or "EH" or a drummer does the countdown hitting drum 3 times. Then Once again, megaphone man "3,2,1" (or drummer) everyone claps and "Manly" or "EH" (whichever sounds better). This gradually speeds up and gets to a point where everyone just keeps clapping without the countdown then the chant ends. Here's an example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sn9BpGYT0w

A jumping chant. Not sure what type but say in Cove, everyone goes shoulder to shoulder and chants while jumping "jump up in the cove say jump up in the cove". The Melbourne Victory fans do a jumping one chanting "ole, ole, jump for Melbourne Victory". And no, not a Poznan style jump like RBB does as they are too well known for it here so it stays with them

Some type of call and reponse Now this is becoming a big thing in A-League since RBB chants to the crowd "who do we sing for" and they all yell back "we sing for wanderers". Sydney FC even before that have done a simple "Syyyyyydney FC" which the crowd reponds back to in the same way. I think if we did such a thing, a simple "Manly" as the call from one section with another responding "Sea Eagles" could get going. Adelaide United do this with "Adelaide" to crowd who yell back "United"

And finally, the only player chant I have right now, for DCE and Foran. This is from a chant Manchester City fans do with 2 players of theirs. Here is the video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsbg9NiMRzk
Simple, first "Daly, Daly Daly. Daly Daly. Daly Cherry-Evans" then straight to "Keiran, Keiran Keiran. Keiran Kerian. Keiran Keiran Foran".

MAYBE one for this Sunday in tune of saints go marching in.
Oh Bondi Beach, is a ****hole
Oh Bondi Beach is a ****hole
I want to be, back in Manly
Bondi Beach is a ****hole

I hope you enjoyed the read you may not agree with it that's fine! I have seen this section of chants http://www.silvertails.net/uncategorized/3884-manly-sea-eagles-supporter-songs-and-chants and from being use to soccer chants, some of these are just horrible. PLEASE NEVER DO THE "EVERYWHERE WE GO" CHANT THAT IS PRIMARY SCHOOL STUFF!
This is simple stuff I think we could start off with, especially if something is done for Sunday but overtime it can build greatly.

See you Sunday! #gomanly!

Rugby League fans do not understand active support, and ripping off the RBB is not the way to go about it :dodgy:

Who or what is RBB, I know LRB....

An interesting opening post on GF week - maybe better served earlier in the year.

For mine I care not for chants, I think it is rubbish premier league stuff. Or reserved for flare throwers at an APIA v Marconi match. Others though love it, if they are happy with their chants and it adds atmosphere I care not for critiques of "school yard" nor "plagiarism"

Just googled RBB - sorry but our history is a little richer than the Western Sydney Wanderers. And your referenced link is older than the Wanderers......

Clay said:
Rugby League fans do not understand active support, and ripping off the RBB is not the way to go about it :dodgy:

The Burrow goes alright. Not sure if you read my post but I did mention about not using things that are too unique to groups in Australia including RBB Poznan as a jumping chant and 2 other RBB chants I saw on a Manly facebook group.

Certainly is a thread for start of a season and I'm not thinking things would get done perfect (or at all even) in gf week but starting late this year could certainly make things for the start of next year!

I prefer to spend my time at games watching the action not singing songs and waving my hands around. Works OK for soccer because 0-0 draws need some sort of distraction to keep fans interested

The "ole ole ole" thing though is, ah hard to explain. Like there's certain chants which when one group in that country is only one that does it and does it damn well, that it's then a no no to copy off. The yellow sumbarine "ole ole ole" or the "ole ole jump for...." (not sure which one you meant) are much more generic chants which multiple supporter groups I know of in the A-League do

Clay said:
Rugby League fans in Australia do not understand active support, and ripping off the RBB is not the way to go about it :dodgy:

Fixed.

Wire (Warrington) Fans

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbwW2ImTzuk[/video]

Robbins (Hull KR) Fans

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vi41F9hcwU[/video]

I could go on but it won't let me post more videos.

SEanth said:
The "ole ole ole" thing though is, ah hard to explain. Like there's certain chants which when one group in that country is only one that does it and does it damn well, that it's then a no no to copy off. The yellow sumbarine "ole ole ole" or the "ole ole jump for...." (not sure which one you meant) are much more generic chants which multiple supporter groups I know of in the A-League do

But it's ok to copy if it's a team from another country...? I'm just confused...!

Like others have said, I go to the game to watch the onfield action and it seems weird to me to see people who spend the whole game with their backs turned trying to egg on their supporter group - the Roosters guy with the stupid 'giggity' banner did it for the better part of the 80 minutes when we played them at Brookie, and I've seen others...just don't get it!

It strikes me as a real soccer 'thing' whereas I've grown up watching the game, reacting to what goes on without any choreography...but each to their own I guess. Are you there to watch the game or impress yourself and your mates with your singing and dancing...? :p

Chip and Chase said:
I prefer to spend my time at games watching the action not singing songs and waving my hands around. Works OK for soccer because 0-0 draws need some sort of distraction to keep fans interested

An active supporters group would have their own area to chant, like for example how the Burrow have a bay for them for the chanters to go in wow whoever wants to sit and enjoy the game can choose anywhere else for them with no problem.

To the guy saying about copying way you eat, that just shows you don't understand about how active support works. Especially when comparing with something everyone does, not something very unique

yokahontas said:
But it's ok to copy if it's a team from another country...? I'm just confused...!

Pretty much yeah as (especially in rugby league) groups from overseas aren't considered rivals. Even though groups here from different sports, groups of all sports in a country still have big rivalries

yokahontas said:
Like others have said, I go to the game to watch the onfield action and it seems weird to me to see people who spend the whole game with their backs turned trying to egg on their supporter group - the Roosters guy with the stupid 'giggity' banner did it for the better part of the 80 minutes when we played them at Brookie, and I've seen others...just don't get it!

It strikes me as a real soccer 'thing' whereas I've grown up watching the game, reacting to what goes on without any choreography...but each to their own I guess. Are you there to watch the game or impress yourself and your mates with your singing and dancing...? :p

Like I just explained after this to someone else, there would be a separate area for the chanters so you don't get forced to chant with them or be mingled with people who are part of the group but sitting in the area you are.
It is more of a soccer thing but it sure does make an amazing atmosphere. Imo it's something Rugby League needs more of and the Burrow are doing well

As you said though, each to their own! I don't imagine this would be easy to do as it's such a new thing for Manly fans and still fair new in rugby league

CAMBO said:
It's called MWTS mate we've been going since 2008.

Hi Cam. What chants do you guys do??? I only hear "Maaanly" and "Manly clap clap clap" at the Fortress. Sometimes sounds like I hear the chop????
An improvement with better chants, a good leader with megaphone (as explained in original post) from what I see/hear could definitely be worked on in the off season

If you are the Cam I'm thinking of I think you follow me on twitter (do/did you live in Qld??)

eagles2win said:
Clay said:
Rugby League fans in Australia do not understand active support, and ripping off the RBB is not the way to go about it :dodgy:

Fixed.

Wire (Warrington) Fans

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbwW2ImTzuk[/video]

Robbins (Hull KR) Fans

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vi41F9hcwU[/video]

I could go on but it won't let me post more videos.

The general sporting culture in England certainly makes for great support in all codes there. Watching Super League on Eurosport always sounds better than NRL despite usually having smaller crowds in regular season games

As Cambo said, we've been trying to achieve this for some time on the hill and at away games. For the past 4 years I've been taking a drum to games. This isn't anything new. We are called the MWTS away from home, and at the games we are called the Push It Up Manly Crew. Next year, come up onto the 40m line Northern end of the hill and see what we do.

A lot of our influence is from Sydney FC and international soccer, but we do have our own chants (which are usually funnier because we come up with them on the spot).

If you went to the last 3 finals games you would have heard the drum as well and to be honest, this has been the loudest and most passionate I have heard the Manly fans in a long time.

When I decided in 2009 that either I would be bringing a drum or megaphone to the games, might mates said to me "if you bring a megaphone its getting shoved up your arse". Therefore, we've never done it and its worked well with what we have (the drum, the chants etc). Without an allocated bay though, it will be very limited. That's the reality of the situation.

As for the basic Manly chants, you probably hear these because everyone knows them. Therefore, they will be louder. The more numbers we have that learn our other chants, the louder it will get.

You are welcome to bring ideas to the table, happy to listen. However, please come to the table knowing what is already being done and achieved beforehand.

Vesh have a chat to Jono he's the drummer man.

A couple are
My Garden shed (to the tune of when the saints go marching in) it's plays in the irony that Brookie isn't that big or that good. That's an away chant.

No one likes us ( rod Stewart sailing) google milwall because they use it.

All we need is a team of Brett stewies (yellow sub marine)

One thing we need to do Sunday is get some video of the chants in action and pit them up on here and Facebook

G'day Anth, good to see some more SFC supporters around the place.

There's been a group of us trying to get some consistent active support going for MWSE for a few years now. Got a fairly broad range of songs which work alright but the main issue we still struggle with is participation. People just don't get involved.

On friday night there was only a handful of us (one of which isn't even a Manly fan) that could actually be bothered to keep up the noise. People are happy to join in on the generic chants when we score or are leading on the scoreboard, but all the bravado goes missing pretty quick.

haha wolfpack I love your FTT sig!

Thanks cam/jono will there be work done in off season to have a bigger and better active support for next year?

While the "Maaaanly" and "Manly clap clap clap" can be heard from where I am (usually Northern hill or standing on ground on western side) as they are the ones everyone knows, watching Sydney FC at Allianz, a larger stadium, all chants can be heard around the stadium just from what the Cove do. Even in the big games with less echo in there.
When the simple call and response "Sydney FC" gets done with the crowd it sounds amazing (see first video I linked to in first post it's in there. You should hear the RBB call and response with the crowd on youtube!)
Obviously Cove much bigger group as it's normal for a soccer thing but that's what I'd eventually like to hear, all chants being loud that it can be heard on all sides at Brookie and on the telecast and looking animated to (like with the overhead clap chant and jumping chant I mentioned in the first post).

Good to hear though that things already being done which I was unaware of.

SEanth said:
haha wolfpack I love your FTT sig!

Thanks cam/jono will there be work done in off season to have a bigger and better active support for next year?

While the "Maaaanly" and "Manly clap clap clap" can be heard from where I am (usually Northern hill or standing on ground on western side) as they are the ones everyone knows, watching Sydney FC at Allianz, a larger stadium, all chants can be heard around the stadium just from what the Cove do. Even in the big games with less echo in there.
When the simple call and response "Sydney FC" gets done with the crowd it sounds amazing (see first video I linked to in first post it's in there. You should hear the RBB call and response with the crowd on youtube!)
Obviously Cove much bigger group as it's normal for a soccer thing but that's what I'd eventually like to hear, all chants being loud that it can be heard on all sides at Brookie and on the telecast and looking animated to (like with the overhead clap chant and jumping chant I mentioned in the first post).

Good to hear though that things already being done which I was unaware of.

Yeah Wolfpack and I are loyal to the SFC so it's good to have some further help. As I said in my post before, two of the key differences between SFC and Manly are the commitment from the fans and a designated area for our supporter group. This latter one is really hard to achieve at Brookie without roping an area off and, even then, it would be hard to sell a special membership for the area.

Ou best option is to do what the Dragons do and get the word out like we have the past few years. In 2007 our group was no more than about 10-15. Now we can have anywhere from 50 to a couple of hundred depending on the game. As an example, our core group will have over 50 people at the GF in one area if we get tickets.

I believe we do well with what we have, but for us to be at the level of Souths or Roosters...or even SFC, we need a few things to go our way. However, in saying this, one of those things is getting a stand to sit in. There is no way we should leave Brookie. That puts us in a catch 22 situation. That is one thing I won't compromise on.

As for off season. Nothing planned yet but lets get into the off season first and let things settle down before thinking about next year.

@SEanth

The Silvertails website already has songs and chants. If you are interested, go to the top of the page where the Silvertails banner is and then move your mouse over the "CONTENT" tab and then click on "Fans Corner" in the menu. A new page opens up with an article teaser titled:

"Manly Sea Eagles Supporter Songs and Chants"

You can then either click on the title or click on the "READ MORE" box and the full article with the chants etc. will open up to the following link:

http://www.silvertails.net/uncategorized/3884-manly-sea-eagles-supporter-songs-and-chants

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7