A year of firsts and lasts for Hopoate

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
A year of firsts and lasts for Hopoate
By Nathan Ryan
14 September 2011 11:46AM EST
http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2011/09/14/a-year-of-firsts-and-lasts-for-hopoate/

Will Hopoate season 2011 is a year of many firsts in his career but it is also a year of lasts, at least for now.

The Manly winger, in his breakout season after three first grade games last year has not only made representative selection but a finals series.

Having excelled in the New South Wales State of Origin side in game two of the series he scored two tries in Manly’s thrashing of North Queensland on Saturday.

However despite the success and skills to die for, the 19-year-old will leave the NRL at the end of the year to embark on a two-year long Mormon mission.

With his future for a return in 2014 uncertain despite attracting big interest from a number of clubs, the son of infamous league identity John is concentrating on his job with the Manly Sea Eagles.

“I’m loving the ride mate, enjoying the experience,” Hopoate told sportsnewsfirst.com.au.

“Enjoying being around the boys and being a part of this team.”

Despite winning a week’s rest before playing the qualifying final for the grand final Hopoate insists there is no time to reflect on his breakout year.

“There’s still a long way to go and hopefully we can do it from here,” Hopoate said.

With an Origin feel about the finals time, the versatile back is riding the high of belief in his Manly side.

“They’re big games and players what to be a part of these games and I am grateful to be a part of it,” he said.

“We’ve built our mentality around believing in each other.

“Having confidence in each other and it came off on Saturday.”

Such is the humble nature of the Manly junior he credits his team mates for his try scoring success.

“It’s always a good feeling to cross the white line but in saying that, (Daly Cherry-Evans) and 'Snake' (Brett Stewart), they put it on the platter for me and all I have to do is ground the ball,” he said.

While Manly plays the winners of the Brisbane-Dragons match on Saturday the week off has hit Brookvale at the right time.

“The boys would want the week off to freshen up a bit and prepare for that next game,” Hopoate said.

“I’ve got a few bumps and bruises so it will be good to get a week off and freshen up a bit and get the body right for the next final.”

Coach Des Hasler added; “The situation we are in, were down a few players and this time of the year players are carrying a few bumps and bruises I think the week off is very beneficial for us.”

I wonder if we'll find out if Will has decided to return to us in 2014, or if we'll have to wait 2 years to know for sure?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6