A tactic too rarely used

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
Newcastle showed how easy it is to score a try from a scrum simply by chipping the ball over the defending backs. I know we don't have much pace with Brett and Wolfman out, but I still think we should try more innovative moves like this.
St George scored their only try from a scrum kick when they were desperate. Why leave it to that stage? Teams that show flair, such as Easts, are using their backline to maximum effect for the entire match. We are just too predictable, and slow.

I believe that the pace of the game, while exciting, is breeding athletes and not rugby league players. Those few that are genuine footballers are worth every cent a club is prepared /able to pay as they are the ones that can show flair and skill to turn a game. Where are the Bob Fultons, Cliffy Lyons and Alan Thompsons of today? They are around but finding them and nuturing them I don't see a hell of a lot of. The guys that have you in awe of their football brain. I don't know, maybe I am a dinosaur.

Townsville Eagle link said:
Where are the Bob Fultons, Cliffy Lyons and Alan Thompsons of today?

I'm sure there was only one Bob Fulton and I'm damn sure there was only one Cliff Lyons albeit ppl trying to include an 's' in Jamie Lyon.

Des doesn't like that type of 'risk taking" its all kite and rodney head down run straight up, or foran doing his grubbers whacking people sitting behind the fence  :D

There was another tactic Manly tried,that you don't see as much...keeping the ball in the scrum under the locks feet.We should have gotten a penalty against drugcastle.They had crept well inside the 10,and even the dopes on Fux spotted it!Not ol' cheatin and his offsider,though!

Barry Hyland link said:
Newcastle showed how easy it is to score a try from a scrum simply by chipping the ball over the defending backs. I know we don't have much pace with Brett and Wolfman out, but I still think we should try more innovative moves like this.
St George scored their only try from a scrum kick when they were desperate. Why leave it to that stage? Teams that show flair, such as Easts, are using their backline to maximum effect for the entire match. We are just too predictable, and slow.

I have been saying this for years.

Even if a try is not scored from it, it makes the fullback think about whether he should be up in the defensive line or not.

Definately should have got the penalty for keeping the ball at the back of the scrum. The referee must have had his eyes shut! What about our short kickoff restarts...attempted 2 and both came off!! Could be something to use a little more often.

Look you guys, we do have a plan.  It's to kick off, give a penalty away and invite them down to our line.  Then Choc can give them 6 again and so on and so forth.  I've observed this plan plenty of times this season.  Does it work?  Well we're coming 6th, so something must be. 

Not too many true rugby league players around.There more concerned how much they earn and how good they look.Sounds a bit like a sheila.

I wonder what would happen from a kick off if instead of kicking high and to the corner, you kicked low and straight at a player a la rocket propelled grenade?

Or what about putting the ball sideways on the tee and having a good old toe bash?

At least I know they wouldn't be expecting it!

Love the toe bash.Was at the local park recently putting them over toe bashing with no sand or tee.Just the ole heel in the ground trick.Makes me wonder about first grade goal kickers these days with this weird around the corner kicking.

sydsider link said:
Love the toe bash.Was at the local park recently putting them over toe bashing with no sand or tee.Just the ole heel in the ground trick.Makes me wonder about first grade goal kickers these days with this weird around the corner kicking.

I'm no expert syd,but I think it's coming from the instep type kick soccer players use most of the time.From what I can gather(and once again-no expertise here)the instep is a wider strike on the target,reducing the error margin.I imagine they practice,practice,practice,to get strength in the instep kick.

All the tries scored in our own half in 2007-2009 always involved 1 players Brett Stewart. There is no support around the ruck anymore and the Forwards aren't even looking to offload.

ayjay007 link said:
[quote author=sydsider link=topic=184448.msg281551#msg281551 date=1280914885]

I'm no expert syd,but I think it's coming from the instep type kick soccer players use most of the time.From what I can gather(and once again-no expertise here)the instep is a wider strike on the target,reducing the error margin.I imagine they practice,practice,practice,to get strength in the instep kick.
[/quote]

Pretty much right.
You get more accuracy and controlled power from the around the corner kick. A toe bash really in a matter of hit and hope.

You also get more contact area with foot and ball when using the around the corner kick. It also gives you the ability to curve it into the goal rather than trying to go straight at it, which gives you a wider angle and essentially bigger target.

Basically it's more accurate, and easier on the body

You can curve a ball both ways using the inside of your foot. Carney showed that last weekend. Dam he is a good player but a rooster so I hate him.
Remember years ago when they were all toe bashing and Craig Johnston (i think ) nailed 6 or 7 in a row using the around the corner style. It took off from there.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6