A reputation that will eat away at the opposition

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

captainskin

Reserve Grader
Can you see what's beginning to be muttered by the media, other coaches, and the fans (of all teams): Manly's defence is brutal and it will hurt you; they hit you in packs and bend you backwards (and over if you are that way inclined).

I think one media analyst  got it right when he said, the opposition are forced to go side ways and take the softer option.

I think this is a fantastic and an intimidating reputation to have. There is a new and fresh presence about the 2011 team. And I know it's only round 3, but it is the defence that is laying the platform. This isn't razzle-dazzle stuff of brilliant individuals. This is stuff premierships are made of. This is stuff that can only be accomplished if your head is in the game; switched on; focused on the one job; and united with your team mates.

I like what Des is doing in the minds of this years team.

There will be some weeks when players are playing injured and don't step up to their usual presence. It is hard to be switched on every week. But if these 'mighty Manly men' can be switched on across the park more consistently than other teams, then it will be their mongrel that intimidates and gets them home.

We seem to need about twenty minutes early to get that together.  When it happens it's dynamic.  The 70s wins were built on a defensive effort.

DSM5 link said:
We seem to need about twenty minutes early to get that together.  When it happens it's dynamic.  The 70s wins were built on a defensive effort.
Same with 95 to 97 era, but probably more the 70's

when they come to bash us back it will take it's toll

Who says 'they' will Dan?  Newcastle had that rep until yesterday.  Big forwards, huge outside backs.  No more. 

DSM5 link said:
Who says 'they' will Dan?  Newcastle had that rep until yesterday.  Big forwards, huge outside backs.  No more. 

And what is more impressive is I think our forwards (apart from the two K's) are not very big. They just seem like decent loveable chaps (apart from Watmough :^) who switch into mongrel game mode when the whistle blows.

The depth of quality displayed so far is the standout.  Would love to see players rested, particularly while injured, as long as the depth quality continues.  Even the English Premier League teams deliberately rest players to keep them fit and fresh.  League is far more brutal and taxing.

DSM5 link said:

anyone who looked critically at newcastle would see they put the sword to Penrith and the Cowboys. Hardly teams you want to build a reputation off of

Reputations are funny things and almost self fullfilling.  Anyway its a lot better than the one we had last year of fading badly in the second half.

I love the way they have started this season. I just hope that they are fitter than last year, because they were able to physically dominate sides in various games last year but didn't win those games.

So far so good though. Our best start to a season since 2007.

Dan, Captainskin is right.  Anyone at the game saw in the warm up that the Knights were so much bigger and meaner looking than us.  We did in the Rorters giants and then bashed up those bigger guys.  And don't forget we beat up on the Flake pack, even with our NSW cup guys.  We are developing a self fulfilling notion that we can beat up other teams.  All good.  It just seems to me we need about fifteen minutes to get in the mood.   

I'll keep the cork in the champagne until after we play someone like the Dragons

Funny how the Sharkies came out and belted the Chokers into submission the night after we did it.And how Stone said theyd have to match Manly or get belted.Oh they got belted alright and i was doing backflips.

captainskin link said:
Can you see what's beginning to be muttered by the media, other coaches, and the fans (of all teams): Manly's defence is brutal and it will hurt you; they hit you in packs and bend you backwards (and over if you are that way inclined).

I think one media analyst  got it right when he said, the opposition are forced to go side ways and take the softer option.

I think this is a fantastic and an intimidating reputation to have. There is a new and fresh presence about the 2011 team. And I know it's only round 3, but it is the defence that is laying the platform. This isn't razzle-dazzle stuff of brilliant individuals. This is stuff premierships are made of. This is stuff that can only be accomplished if your head is in the game; switched on; focused on the one job; and united with your team mates.

I like what Des is doing in the minds of this years team.

There will be some weeks when players are playing injured and don't step up to their usual presence. It is hard to be switched on every week. But if these 'mighty Manly men' can be switched on across the park more consistently than other teams, then it will be their mongrel that intimidates and gets them home.

How right you are. We definatley have some steel back in our defense. We can put this down to a great attitude. Des deserves all the raps for this improvement 

This has happened regularly in past seasons and a lot of money can be made. This year bet against the teams who played Manly the week before, they will be too sore and go down.

ManlyBacker link said:
This has happened regularly in past seasons and a lot of money can be made. This year bet against the teams who played Manly the week before, they will be too sore and go down.

Spot on.

You just have to love that...I feel a warm inner glow already....but the Champas cork  is def still in (for the minute)

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6