A PLAN TO SAVE BRETT STEWART

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
quinny said:
What nonsense...he is signed sealed and delivered...NOT to Manly.

Love your passion but-it's a pity things are not so simplistic!

Very wrong my friend. 100% not signed with anyone. Can guaran-DAMN- tee that. Brett wants to stay at Manly.

eelcatcher said:
Well if we're that tight in the cap the first thing I would do is hand over Lussick to the chooks. Then if we really need to and I hate to do this, release Matai and we have quite a bit of depth to cover for him. Should give us quite a bit of space. We've already lost Robbo, Hoppa and Rodney, should have some room left for the Stewarts and Foran, even though we resigned Cherry.
Personally I think Matai needs to be retained, esp as Lyon is 30 years old and has said himself only a year or maybe two left.

Be crazy to let Matai go. I feel Matai is being overlooked at this point due to other big named stars which at this point in time is warranted but he needs attention too soon.

I am all for this if its all above board and happy to throw in $500.

I would suggest that if anyone here in the know, can they run this by our CEO, firstly to get the clubs involvement and secondly to make sure Brett is aware of what the fans want to do.

A great day to start would be the first game at Brookie.

If doable - how do you think Brett would feel about it? I personally reckon he is the sort of bloke that would struggle to accept the cash coming from fans.
Thats a compliment to Brett btw.
There are some people in this world that would say "you beauty" and take all they can get.
Brett strikes me as the sort of bloke that may struggle with this whole concept.
Again, a compliment to Brett!

Earnie the Eagle said:
I am all for this if its all above board and happy to throw in $500.

I would suggest that if anyone here in the know, can they run this by our CEO, firstly to get the clubs involvement and secondly to make sure Brett is aware of what the fans want to do.

A great day to start would be the first game at Brookie.

In the works earnie..... More info to come

I thought third party deals had to be without bias towards which club the player was playing for. ie if coke sponsored Brett at Manly then they would also have to sponsor him if he left for the dragons. I want Brett to stay but I doubt the NRL would ever allow this. What's to stop Nathan Tinkler donating $300,000 to his players as a "fan" of the club, or some other rich people from other clubs. Leave it to Perry and Penn, they seem to be doing well and I'm sure if we can keep Brett we will.

Im not giving $7.50 so a bloke on $400,000 a year can make $500,000 a year.

This is a joke?

I love how the fans "rally" behind a player, who has absolute apathy for those same very fans.

Here's a tip - your all dead to him.

He'll take the biggest/longest offer - and why not !

Onward and upward Mr Clinton Gutherson.

Same with Foran - GO to Belmore. We'll play Riccardi or your brother. Riccardi's Dad is a prominant / consistent poster on this site - he'd be pumped ! Right ?

Ryan said:
I love how the fans "rally" behind a player, who has absolute apathy for those same very fans.

Same with Foran - GO to Belmore. We'll play Riccardi or your brother. Riccardi's Dad is a prominant / consistent poster on this site - he'd be pumped ! Right ?

I hope your wrong about the first part.

As for Liam, if Kieran goes, he'll be cut straight away. He's not up to it. Riccardi for sure.

Ryan said:

If/When Snake takes the money and runs go after wynnum's fullback. Sign to a 2 year cheap contract (basically like what David Seage from the Knights got) - this kid is 21 and out of the Storms system.
That way if Gutherson is the ducks nuts we can let him build to it, instead of chucking him straight in at 18 it's to much pressure on him to give him Snakes roll at 18.
It'll actually save us some dosh and we can then get Hardrakker (from Leeds) to play centre for us I think Killa will eventually go back to the ESL

If it can be organised to be not part of the cap, I pledge $50.

All time highest NSW RL / NRL strike rates:
Nathan Blacklock 85.21%
Brett Stewart 81.88%
Steve Renouf 77.60%
Reg Gasnier 69.02%
Nathan Merrit 67.95%
Timana Tahu 65.87%

as at 8 Oct 2011

As for the fans tipping in money , it won't work, it's an absolute logistic nightmare.
There won't be too many clubs who will sign up Brett for the deal he want's, every one is baulking at his price and length of contract.
To me his only hope would be an increase in the salary cap, and then an extension of his existing contract with us, perhaps on a year by year basis, cruel maybe, but thats the nature of this business nowaday.
Other than that, unless the Dragons or Sharks want him badly, perhaps UK.

Eaglerob, how is this progressing? Have you been in contact with the NRL and/or club about whether fans can pitch in money somehow to keep Brett at the club?

Rodo said:
Eaglerob, how is this progressing? Have you been in contact with the NRL and/or club about whether fans can pitch in money somehow to keep Brett at the club?

"Stewart is saying little but I can reveal that cashed up supporters have contacted me offering arranging third party deals - allowable under the rules of the NRL - to retain the Prince of Brookvale."

This was from the Zorba article a few days back

So I guess it is allowed.

Ryan said:

Nailed my thoughts there Ryan.

These players need to be given a deadline, a take the offer or leave it choice . Manly are the employers here and should not be dictated to by any one employee and their manager.

I died when I heard Fulton was a Rooster and let me tell you now their are no Fultons in our great team any more.

Masked Eagle said:
As for Liam, if Kieran goes, he'll be cut straight away. He's not up to it. Riccardi for sure.

Plenty here said DCE wasnt going to cut it either, same with Hodko.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4