A pen for the CEO

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hi mate, I'm using my own common sense only to suggest we are in dire risk of losing Foran.
I don't want this to happen and I am concerned that there is way more to this story then meets the eye. I do hope I'm wrong though.

I have just had a conversation with a member of the staff there (MWSE) and have been informed that they are moving the website onto a new "platform" provided by Sportal and the NRL. Whilst it resides on the platform that Aaron set up you need to be an IT person to do much with it, and that's the problem they don't have an IT person.

So I think there's a bit more short term pain as far as the site is concerned but hopefully they are not far away from having it at least "up to date".

By the way I know zilch about "platforms" and if that actually means anything just simply passing on the information.

And Cam I think we all know now how much work Aaron actually did, and whilst he did a wonderful job, he also created a rod for his back and made himself virtually irreplaceable, so the club needs to find a way to still have a quality website, still provide up to date information BUT not have the whole thing rely on one person to see that happen!!

Cambo link said:
maybe if the club communicated to its paying members rather than treating us like mushrooms people like wamf wouldn't be thinking the way they are.

It shouldn't be up to you vid to go asking questions on our behalf, we have parted with our cash to support the club and feel like we belong to the club, shame that once we part with our cash we are no longer important.

Communication between mwse and the fan base has gone down hill at a rapid rate over the last 12 months due to loss of two employees.

Sorry was typing this as mark's post was put up but covers his and a couple of other points....

Agree it has not been ideal Cliffy and there has been a number of factors.

Re the website (which of course is a primary tool for communicating with people) I received this from Sarah this morning...

"We're currently waiting on a few things with the NRL before we can move Jess to the full time website role.....  hopefully within the next couple of weeks we'll be able to do this though.

We're currently having to move all the bits and pieces over to the Sportal and NRL domain so this is extremely time consuming and difficult for us to keep going with everything while it's happening. Realise it is frustrating for people but we just need a bit of time to get everything sorted again."

So, sounds full on and they are aware of people's frustrations - not ideal granted but there appears to be mitigating circumstances?

C'mon Cambo Re communicating updates on Foran etc I think the club can be excused from issuing daily emails to the club saying "still not signed"?

Of course, with these types of situations negotiations can be protracted and delicate on some aspects and it is wise not to play out each step in the public glare or even issue public statements until things have been resolved?

I'd like to know what is going on but don't feel left out because I'm not being told each step of the way but in this case no news doesn't neccesarily mean bad news (Here's hoping anyway?) - re-read my post above about who we have looking after our interests re recruitment and retention of players - anyone here who thinks they can do a better job?

A very common topic in this and many other threads is communication and lack of. While it is great for us that Vid is busily chasing up every section of the club for those members doing there narna, why isnt the club pro active and at least sending a few explanation emails to there members

Im not talking contract negotiations etc  but the state of play on the website that could be fixed in a 10 minute email to the members. Also the changes in the way they are conducting there business to there members as it HAS changed

It has definately changed from a touch feely relationship, to a talk to the hand mentality. For mine this new mentality leads me to believe it will never be back to what it was. Like others have mentioned as long as the club is playing zipper mouth, and not prepared to waste the tiniest sceric of time informing there members, the members have no other choice but to jump to there own conclusions.

If this platform change was in January i am sure they would find other ways to communicate for the recruitment drive, that they are unable to find now by informing those very members

The reality is, a few statmements would probably save them time and not get people offside in the process.And i am sure someone in the club would have raised this. If not then............ wow, and if so, it must have been canned. Both are scarey prospects

I know quite a few that have not jumped on to silvertails and i wonder what they are thinking. Poor buggers

The only reason the CEO needs a pen is to poke a few of you in the eye with it. 

He has only been here 5 minutes and we look like we are a good chance to finish in the top 4 and you guys still say he isn't doing enough.  Give the guy a break. 

The club didn't think that Hodkinson was worth more than $200k a season and I agree.  He is not that good and while the club wanted to keep him only at our price.  DCE will be better next year anyway and we will be saying Hodkingson who?

Lowey has a few irons in the fire which will silence you knockers soon.  Just like Kingy has done. 

kingyfan link said:

He has only been here 5 minutes and we look like we are a good chance to finish in the top 4 and you guys still say he isn't doing enough.  Give the guy a break. 

The club didn't think that Hodkinson was worth more than $200k a season and I agree.  He is not that good and while the club wanted to keep him only at our price.  DCE will be better next year anyway and we will be saying Hodkingson who?

Agreed on hodko, he may never even be a 275k player. DCE may never be a first grader either. Time will tell on both although im sure the footy brains at the club have a fair idea. Hodkos signature was a hard way the way he went from Sunny coast player to vying with DCE for a start, and then an almost 300k a season player in a month because he got picked forcity as 6 others were unavailable

I cant put any blame on the club at all with Hodko, not hodko for that either

As for the pen in the eyes. As most are one eyed to begin with ,there are some serious implications there .

Guys,
It is obvious that there is some angst and I agree with James that communication from the club is not the same as it has been previously.

That said, realistically the main reason for that is that most of us had a long term relationship with Aaron Markie that had been built up over a number of years and we had the opportunity to hop on the phone, flick him an email or catch up with him at the game or in the club afterwards.

Even if you weren't in regular contact with him you were comfortable in the fact that he was "doing a good job" even though in the main you didn't know what he was doing or when.

I am proud to call Aaron a mate and he did a fantastic job for the club often under very trying conditions - he put huge amounts of time and effort in behind the scenes - most of what he did went unnoticed by all but a very small number of people.

I do however remember him copping all manner of criticism when he first took on the role...much of it similar to what I'm seeing here in terms of his pro-activeness, customer service skills and lack of understanding on what and how the members wanted things to be.

Realistically he learned on the job and being the sort of guy he is he learnt quickly, he listened and ended up being a mighty fine membership manager who ended up wearing all manner of hats during his working day/week.

So what has this got to do with things?

Well, instead of venting frustration on here and sitting in silence - as members part of the benefit is that you have a membership manager - her name is Sarah Brady and she can be reached on 02 9970 3000 during normal office hours.

Give her a call, introduce yourself, let her know your concerns and get to know her.

The more she understands what is expected from the member base the better she will be at her job and the better your relationship will be with the club.

Don't suffer in silence and of course a general whinge achieves nothing - Be constructive and respectfule and you will no doubt be treated the same way.

Sarah has a big job to do, some big shoes to fill, has relocated from Queensland to take on the role and has to learn a whole new culture so help her to help you

Communication is a 2 way street?

vidmar link said:
[quote author=Cambo link=topic=183856.msg272159#msg272159 date=1278465474]
maybe if the club communicated to its paying members rather than treating us like mushrooms people like wamf wouldn't be thinking the way they are.

It shouldn't be up to you vid to go asking questions on our behalf, we have parted with our cash to support the club and feel like we belong to the club, shame that once we part with our cash we are no longer important.

Communication between mwse and the fan base has gone down hill at a rapid rate over the last 12 months due to loss of two employees.

Sorry was typing this as mark's post was put up but covers his and a couple of other points....

Agree it has not been ideal Cliffy and there has been a number of factors.

Re the website (which of course is a primary tool for communicating with people) I received this from Sarah this morning...

"We're currently waiting on a few things with the NRL before we can move Jess to the full time website role.....  hopefully within the next couple of weeks we'll be able to do this though.

We're currently having to move all the bits and pieces over to the Sportal and NRL domain so this is extremely time consuming and difficult for us to keep going with everything while it's happening. Realise it is frustrating for people but we just need a bit of time to get everything sorted again."

So, sounds full on and they are aware of people's frustrations - not ideal granted but there appears to be mitigating circumstances?

C'mon Cambo Re communicating updates on Foran etc I think the club can be excused from issuing daily emails to the club saying "still not signed"?

Of course, with these types of situations negotiations can be protracted and delicate on some aspects and it is wise not to play out each step in the public glare or even issue public statements until things have been resolved?

I'd like to know what is going on but don't feel left out because I'm not being told each step of the way but in this case no news doesn't neccesarily mean bad news (Here's hoping anyway?) - re-read my post above about who we have looking after our interests re recruitment and retention of players - anyone here who thinks they can do a better job?

[/quote]
hey Vid
im not talking about Foran
I'm just talking in general, for an outsider looking it the club seems to have returned to the closed shop of the 80s and 90s the club could do that then because we were the princes of the league we are now the paupers and club relies on a growing membership base. All they have done is alienatenate it. I dont care if theres a Forum or not over there i rarely used it towards the end I what i do care about is being able to feel like I'm apart of the club and get a bit more information and communication than the general punter who doesn't pay anything to support the club.

G'day Cam,
I've checked back and since 1st June I have received 13 emails from the Sea Eagles that have been group member emails (not including booking confirmation forms for trips etc.)

I've had 3 members insiders emails, I've had notification of sales on merchandise, Des's diary and other stuff.

I've been sent stuff regarding game info (home and away) info re travel and member discounts for tickets at the away grounds, functions and also team lists as they have been released

So lot's of stuff coming my way from the club so would be fair to say that other members are also getting that.

Not having a dig here mate - if you give me details of what else you would like (you can PM me if you like then I'll pass it on OR as mentioned previously get in contact with Sarah and tell her so she can give you what you want/need?

Cheers
Vid

jbb/james link said:
[quote author=kingyfan link=topic=183856.msg272189#msg272189 date=1278481579]

He has only been here 5 minutes and we look like we are a good chance to finish in the top 4 and you guys still say he isn't doing enough.  Give the guy a break.  

The club didn't think that Hodkinson was worth more than $200k a season and I agree.  He is not that good and while the club wanted to keep him only at our price.  DCE will be better next year anyway and we will be saying Hodkingson who?

Agreed on hodko, he may never even be a 275k player. DCE may never be a first grader either. Time will tell on both although im sure the footy brains at the club have a fair idea. Hodkos signature was a hard way the way he went from Sunny coast player to vying with DCE for a start, and then an almost 300k a season player in a month because he got picked forcity as 6 others were unavailable

I cant put any blame on the club at all with Hodko, not hodko for that either

As for the pen in the eyes. As most are one eyed to begin with ,there are some serious implications there .
[/quote]

As far as I'm aware, DCE is in the same boat as Foran i.e. agreed to terms with the club but as yet has not put pen to paper.

vidmar link said:
G'day Cam,
I've checked back and since 1st June I have received 13 emails from the Sea Eagles that have been group member emails (not including booking confirmation forms for trips etc.)

I've had 3 members insiders emails, I've had notification of sales on merchandise, Des's diary and other stuff.

I've been sent stuff regarding game info (home and away) info re travel and member discounts for tickets at the away grounds, functions and also team lists as they have been released

So lot's of stuff coming my way from the club so would be fair to say that other members are also getting that.

Not having a dig here mate - if you give me details of what else you would like (you can PM me if you like then I'll pass it on OR as mentioned previously get in contact with Sarah and tell her so she can give you what you want/need?

Cheers
Vid
will talk on sat mate

Vid, I used to get those emails from the club but haven't received them for a long time now, I had assumed they had stopped sending them out

vidmar link said:
G'day Cam,

Cheers
Vid

Vid, can you point out to me which of the emails gave us an update on our many injuries, I seem to have missed that one. LOL

Des' diary is little more than a reprint of the after match press conference that was usually conducted a day or 2 before.

What about a real Des' diary written specifically for Sea Eagles members?
Once a month will do.

If any members are not receiving regular emails then contact the club ( [email protected] ) tolet them know and make sure that the email address they have on file is correct and current.

Re injury updates - this is normally available on mwse.com.au ( http://www.mwse.com.au/default.aspx?s=injury-update ) - granted the site has been neglected a little due to Aaron moving on and the workbeing done to move it to the NRL sportal

I'll pass back that to Sarah the need to look at updates being included in the member insider.

I'm keen to see the Q & A player/coach sessions return (possibly Graham, Des and Donny involved) so will add that to the list

WAMF - will pass your thoughts over as well - I was interested in your point in another post where you floated the idea of fans having input to the membership benefits and giving their thoughts on communication etc to the club.

There was a process a while ago where Des emailed people and asked them why they weren't members and asked them to give the club feedback.

This was well received and provided vital input to help the membership department so agree there should be more of that.

I'm due to be meeting with Sarah, Graham and Bob Reilly in the coming month or so to discuss the plans for 2011 (Including what is looking increasingly likely will include a simpler joint Sea Eagles/Football Club membership option) so happy to get ideas or suggestions to put forward?

(Of course it add more weight if people are already members of the Sea Eagles and/or Football Club as I can relay it as "This is what our members want/need" - that said, the "user pays" system that we currently had was developed to make the membership more attractive to people that didn;t join because they didn't see (or get) value from some of the benefits (eg 12 match tickets, free away travel etc.) so happy to hear from non-members as to how the offerings could be packaged to encourage them to sign up?)

Any more anyone?

Vid set up a seperate thread for membership ideas...Brainstorm it amongst us all.
Never know what might come up

Just a few thoughts from me about things we could look at to incease the attractiveness of membership;

• Members night with coach/ceo etc, includes a Q&A session.  Possibly for Gold only?
• Post match dressing room access for new and existing members (ie 2 categories),  A weekly draw to get a winner
• MWTV for members only and would include Interview with Des and a few players in the dressing room etc.  Also a mid week segment after the team has been named – this could also cover injury updates etc and a preview of the up coming game
• Post match functions be restricted to members only, maybe even fan days?
• A members only ‘bar’ at Brookie – maybe a marquee or something like that on game days.  Discounted beer, past players interviewed etc
• Out of town members could go into a draw for a ultimate footy experience trip to Brookie or Sydney game – spend the day with the players, dressing room etc etc

Good stuff guys (Some nice ideas there Wheel?) - keep 'em coming?

I do know that one supporter who has a very impressive track record in the marketing and customer acquisition for a "large well known company" offered his services pro bono to our executive and I believe they are meeting this week.

So, Graham Lowe and his executive team have shown me that they are willing to get input and take advice and receive suggestions where needed and assuming it comes from credible sources.

Why cant their be a tickted membership offered for the hill...ticketed members dont have to have a seat do they?

Couild have a good spot designated on the half way for this, "season ticket holders on the hill"

The Wheel link said:
Just a few thoughts from me about things we could look at to incease the attractiveness of membership;

• Members night with coach/ceo etc, includes a Q&A session.  Possibly for Gold only?
• Post match dressing room access for new and existing members (ie 2 categories),  A weekly draw to get a winner
• MWTV for members only and would include Interview with Des and a few players in the dressing room etc.  Also a mid week segment after the team has been named – this could also cover injury updates etc and a preview of the up coming game
• Post match functions be restricted to members only, maybe even fan days?
• A members only ‘bar’ at Brookie – maybe a marquee or something like that on game days.  Discounted beer, past players interviewed etc
• Out of town members could go into a draw for a ultimate footy experience trip to Brookie or Sydney game – spend the day with the players, dressing room etc etc
as usual you have nailed it mate.
I think the thing is theres alot of things the club can do to add value to their memberships.

A members only (moderated Q and A section on the website)
where members email there questions and there questions are published with the clubs reply.

I really don't think theres a need for an official forum if theres a structured process in place for 2 way communication between the club and the members.

Alot of members are question the ceo at the moment simply because they don't what he's doing or why he's doing it.
I'm sure with the sharing of some (apporiate) information those people would change their opinion of Mr Lowe.

It's something Bob Reilly does really well and its something our former ceo did exceptionally well.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4