A Must......

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

c eagle

Reserve Grader
Danny wicks earlier this year tried to get a run with our local league side , but was turned down by the nrl as his suspension finishes in sept , he has come out recently stating he wants another crack at the nrl next year, he has really looked after himself....... Looking really fit ready to go. This guy before getting in trouble was on fire, he would be playing for nsw if he hadn't got in strife........ With the fringe first grade props we signed earlier this year, some on 1 year deals...... We could do a lot worse to go hard at getting this guy, it would be a long shot I reckon a lot of club would be interested in him...... I'd love to see him in our colours..

I can imagine every article written about him starting with "Manly Sea Eagles forward and convicted criminal, Danny Wicks........"

There may be a slight image issue to overcome.
That said, I'm certainly not suggesting that he doesn't deserve another chance if a club is prepared to give him one.

What would our Sponsors think of the inevitable and continued references, by the Media, of Wicks criminal activities ? :cool:

He would be a liability, like Fergie is IMO

ASADA Report due by end of this month, so will be interesting how widespread drugs are in the NRL.

Wicks may have paid for his dealings in the legal sense, but no one would risk their Brand being damaged by him.

He's not a must but I'd have not issue if he got a shot somewhere if he's good enough. He's paid his debt and deserves another shot. Not the first young guy to make a stupid mistake and to be honest if he got it together it'd be a good story.

Yeah you'd have to think about it - for the reasons stated - but for mine, I'd give Wicks a go before Ben Hannant if we had to make a choice there.

I loved this try from big Danny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRXW9OOHC78

LOL! Give him a go on match payments!

Sign him up for fullback hey...?

Seriously @mozgrame he's trimmed down massively and looks fit enough to play now.

I know he can't until after September, but he may just be worth extending a life-line to...esp if a couple of our other props don't quite aim up by the end of the year ( AND if Kingdog retires ).

Gee a bloke cant redeem himself now a days....done the time...Wow some soft kok ignorant responses to this...never been in trouble boys, have you???

People would've said the same about Horo, BJ, Lui, Starling and Blair etc before they came to Manly @Chip and Chase.

Some ppl, even here are saying the same about guys like Starling, Lui, Andrews, Hasson etc already despite their improvement. And I see why we've given all those guys a second chance.

What they've done, or haven't quite done before, doesn't seem to matter once they come here.

A lot of focused men seem to thrive in Manly's system - and shedding about 20kegs, as Wicks' has done - suggests he's got his attitude right, at least.

Looking at the current crop of front-rowers we've given a go, Wicks wouldn't be any worse on paper so to speak, than a couple of em.

And crucially, if Jason King retires this year, a lower end incentive deal for Danny isn't the worst idea I've heard here.

I'm not sure he is origin quality player. Good luck to him if he's really gotten his life back on track but I can think of several "fringe" players I think would have more potential who I'd prefer to give an opportunity too.

If he is good enough and has done his time no problem. I really don't remember him so can't comment on his ability. If we can stop another young man ending up like Ryan Tandy who cares what the press says.

Let him without sin hey!

Nothing against Wicks but we are not a club that needs to take a risk like that. Hopefully someone picks him up and he shows everyone that he has learnt from his mistakes.

But, he can do backflips! BACKFLIPS!!! Start him out in the cheer squad and he can work his way back into firsts!

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news/league/wanna-see-a-118kg-prop-do-a-flip/2008/03/11/1205125973713.html

He's only 26 ( I think ) and is only looking for a base contract.
On that basis, he's not too much of a risk really. Probably a better option than one a young maybe as he knows what he's thrown away and how hard he's got to work to get back.

Footy is all about redemption stories and to honest there's probably plenty running around now that have done worse. Dropping and selling pingers isn't really the crime of the century is it? ( Yes, I know it's illegal )

Can't see it as a risk, surely the marketing guys can put a positive spin on it.

Look at Mau and Matagi. Two guys that in earlier life made some mistakes and ended up in lock up.
Humble and two of the scariest bastard's running around at the moment

Masked Eagle said:
I'm not sure he is origin quality player. Good luck to him if he's really gotten his life back on track but I can think of several "fringe" players I think would have more potential who I'd prefer to give an opportunity too.
Like?......

manlyfan76 said:
Base salary, hemp salary, heroin salary he's not fussy.
Ridiculous comment ,pull your head in.

StuBoot said:
Can't see it as a risk, surely the marketing guys can put a positive spin on it.

Good idea.

there's bound to be some former cigarette ad men looking for work.

smokingad_large.jpg

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7