67th Year - Manly All Time Best

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ramrod

Reserve Grader
2016 will be Manly's 70th year.

They will be choosing the best 17 of all time again.
A lot of very good players will miss out.

As of 2013, this is my pick:
(* denotes player to have played in Australia's 1st grade for Manly first or a Manly junior).

1. G. Eadie. * (Snake or Wombat, very tough question - however, the Wombat played in 6 GF for Manly. Awesome defender too).
2. K. Irvine.
3. J. Lyon.
4. R. Fulton. *
5. R. Branighan. (Snoz was the other contender).
6. C. Lyons.
7. G. Toovey. *
8. J. O'Neill.
9. M. Krillich. * (Fredo got our first premiership try. He was good enough to keep Thrower in Reserves. Still, better judges rated Max better).
10. R. Bull. *
11. R. Mossop. *
12. T. Randall. *
13. M. Reilly. *

14. I. Martin. *
15. A. Watmough. *
16. B. Kennedy.
17. S. Menzies. * (The Beaver, say no more).

Coach: F. Stanton. *
Manager: K. Arthurson. *

........and they say we bought all our best players.
Imagine coming up against this forward pack!!

** Revised ** notable omissions:
Freddy Jones, Michael O'Connor, Brett Stewart, Glenn Stewart, Kevin Ward, Alan Thompson, Phil Lowe, Steve Norton, Russell Gartner, Mark Carroll, John Harvey, Les Boyd, Steve Matai, Craig Innes, Daniel Gartner, Nik Kosef, Matt Ballin, Phil Daley (just for the memorable hit he did on Meninga in 87). + Phil Blake, Ian Roberts, Bruce Walker, Johnny Gibbs.

Loyalty issue:
Paul Vautin (as noted on Snake '09 incident).

---

i do appreciate what Kennedy bought to the club in our time of need, but to put him ahead of players who had long careers at manly & played for state and country doesn't sit well with me. What was it, 2 years at manly?

otherwise, not a bad list at all. It's hard for some of us though as i only really remember from late 70's onwards.

carroll's addition to the team in the 90's, giving manly the enforcer whilst the classy backrow did their stuff making 3 GF's. His time with us is under-estimated imo. He did all the dirty yards and ensured manly's pack dominated for 3 seasons. Not many got it over manly's front row in those days.

Mal fully agree with you bk just isn't "manly" I never bought into the big hype of putting him into the elite manly category ,as good a player as he was

The minute I see these player/team/coach/management lists like these it just reminds me of the specially talented people that have entwined themselves through the love of the club over the many years.

There is a distingiushed history and all we need to do is enjoy being part of it.

Dream Team named in 2006 as follows

Graham Eadie
Ken Irvine
Ray Branighan
Bob Fulton
Michael O'Connor
Wally O'Connell
Geoff Toovey

Roy Bull
Max Krilich
John O'Neill
Steve Menzies
Terry Randall
Malcolm Reilly

Des Hasler
Ben Kennedy
Cliff Lyons
Paul Vautin

Frank Stanton (coach)

Who since 2006 deserves a spot ?? I'd say Killer for Branighan for sure. Gifty for Vautin as well. I'd also concede Choc for Kennedy if someone argued hard enough. Does Des get the coach spot ?? Who knows what will happen over the next 3 years. DCE and Foz might play themselves into jerseys.

Difficult to judge the 40s, 50s, & 60s players against the current crop. Today's game is faster, forwards bigger & faster and more mobile, backs knocking the big blokes on their ars*.

I'm sure Wombat could hold his own against Snake but all of Snake's tries are difficult to leave out.
Ray Branigan, Roy Bull, Ken Irvine - sure... they were great against their contemporaries but would they cut it in today's game?

I'm sure Bozo could hold his place but would question Moose's inclusion.

Mal Cochrane said:
i do appreciate what Kennedy bought to the club in our time of need, but to put him ahead of players who had long careers at manly & played for state and country doesn't sit well with me. What was it, 2 years at manly?

otherwise, not a bad list at all. It's hard for some of us though as i only really remember from late 70's onwards.

carroll's addition to the team in the 90's, giving manly the enforcer whilst the classy backrow did their stuff making 3 GF's. His time with us is under-estimated imo. He did all the dirty yards and ensured manly's pack dominated for 3 seasons. Not many got it over manly's front row in those days.

About BK:
1. BK taught our forwards on how to be winners. Question is - without his influence, would we have won 2008 and 2011? Would Choc, Kingy, Gifty and Kitey, have that extra GF edge? BK still considers Manly his club, even after 2 short years.

2. Most considers that if you have played one game for a club, you're one of their's. Bozo never won a premiership with Eastern Suburbs, but you can't stop them from listing Bozo as one of their greats every time they have their "best player consensus". In saying that, everyone still regards Bozo as Manly.

3. I'm like yourself. I would prefer someone who've had long Manly careers, even juniors. But that would deny them of being Manly, and as some players whom only had one or two games in first grade would still consider themselves Manly. Most players that have played for us, loves the club.

About Carroll:
- Some thought he was just a meathead. I've remember seeing his ball skills and his passing game. He's quite a smart player but was never given credit for it.

lismore_fan said:
Difficult to judge the 40s, 50s, & 60s players against the current crop. Today's game is faster, forwards bigger & faster and more mobile, backs knocking the big blokes on their ars*.

I'm sure Wombat could hold his own against Snake but all of Snake's tries are difficult to leave out.
Ray Branigan, Roy Bull, Ken Irvine - sure... they were great against their contemporaries but would they cut it in today's game?

Ask Harry Bath about Moose. Whoops, Harry died in 2008.
You could ask Arko.
Anyone who knows the Moose, feared the Moose.
He played for Australia. He captained Manly.
He's a Manly junior and played in two GF for us.
He's an auto pick for me. One of the toughest ever to wear the maroon and white.
I would be flabbergasted if he was left out.

Ramrod said:

(* denotes player to have played in Australia's 1st grade for Manly first or a Manly junior).

1. G. Eadie. * (Snake or Wombat, very tough question - however, the Wombat played in 6 GF for Manly. Awesome defender too).
2. K. Irvine.
3. J. Lyon.
4. R. Fulton. *
6. C. Lyons.
7. G. Toovey. *
8. J. O'Neill.
9. M. Krillich. * (Fredo got our first premiership try. He was good enough to keep Thrower in Reserves. Still, better judges rated Max better).
10. R. Bull. *
11. R. Mossop. *
12. T. Randall. *
13. M. Reilly. *

14. I. Martin. *
15. A. Watmough. *
16. B. Kennedy.

notable omission:
Freddy Jones, Michael O'Connor, Brett Stewart, Glenn Stewart, Kevin Ward, Alan Thompson, Phil Lowe, Steve Norton, Russell Gartner, Mark Carroll, John Harvey, Les Boyd, Steve Matai, Craig Innes, Daniel Gartner, Nik Kosef, Matt Ballin, Paul Vautin and Phil Daley (just for the memorable hit he did on Meninga in 87).

---

Beaver definately in the run on side. Phil Blake should be in the notable ommisions .

Ramrod said:
Mal Cochrane said:

About BK:
1. BK taught our forwards on how to be winners. Question is - without his influence, would we have won 2008 and 2011? Would Choc, Kingy, Gifty and Kitey, have that extra GF edge? BK still considers Manly his club, even after 2 short years.

2. Most considers that if you have played one game for a club, you're one of their's. Bozo never won a premiership with Eastern Suburbs, but you can't stop them from listing Bozo as one of their greats every time they have their "best player consensus". In saying that, everyone still regards Bozo as Manly.

3. I'm like yourself. I would prefer someone who've had long Manly careers, even juniors. But that would deny them of being Manly, and as some players whom only had one or two games in first grade would still consider themselves Manly. Most players that have played for us, loves the club.

About Carroll:
- Some thought he was just a meathead. I've remember seeing his ball skills and his passing game. He's quite a smart player but was never given credit for it.

lismore_fan said:

Ask Harry Bath about Moose. Whoops, Harry died in 2008.
You could ask Arko.
Anyone who knows the Moose, feared the Moose.
He played for Australia. He captained Manly.
He's a Manly junior and played in two GF for us.
He's an auto pick for me. One of the toughest ever to wear the maroon and white.
I would be flabbergasted if he was left out.

Anyone that wasn't selected for the 60 year side you would think couldn't be selected for the 70th

wombatgc said:
Beaver definately in the run on side. Phil Blake should be in the notable ommisions .

I agree with Blake.
Maybe even Goldie and Gibbsy.

Beaver on bench for utility value, and for the others to soften up the opposition pack.

wombatgc said:
Ramrod said:

2. K. Irvine.
3. J. Lyon.
4. R. Fulton. *
6. C. Lyons.
7. G. Toovey. *
8. J. O'Neill.
10. R. Bull. *
11. R. Mossop. *
12. T. Randall. *
13. M. Reilly. *

14. I. Martin. *
15. A. Watmough. *
16. B. Kennedy.

notable omission:
Freddy Jones, Michael O'Connor, Brett Stewart, Glenn Stewart, Kevin Ward, Alan Thompson, Phil Lowe, Steve Norton, Russell Gartner, Mark Carroll, John Harvey, Les Boyd, Steve Matai, Craig Innes, Daniel Gartner, Nik Kosef, Matt Ballin, Paul Vautin and Phil Daley (just for the memorable hit he did on Meninga in 87).

---
Phil Blake should be in the notable ommisions .

So should Mathew Ridge and Ian Roberts

Not many of us would have seen Wally Oconnell play for Manly, but from what I have read about him, he would be pretty hard to remove from the squad.

We are almost always having another tilt at the title!

I'd add Johnny Gibbs as an honourable mention/notable omission.

bones said:
wombatgc said:
Ramrod said:

2. K. Irvine.
3. J. Lyon.
4. R. Fulton. *
6. C. Lyons.
7. G. Toovey. *
8. J. O'Neill.
10. R. Bull. *
11. R. Mossop. *
12. T. Randall. *
13. M. Reilly. *

14. I. Martin. *
15. A. Watmough. *
16. B. Kennedy.

notable omission:

---
Phil Blake should be in the notable ommisions .

So should Mathew Ridge and Ian Roberts

I was thinking the same thing. The fact that Roberts doesn't even get a mention is a bit strange. Out of all the other forwards mentioned I don't think you can seriously say that they were all BETTER than him. People talk about BK teaching toughness during his time, I think in the early/mid 90's Roberts taught the Kosefs/Menzies/Kosefs quite a bit, too.

RL Gronk said:
Brett Stewart has passed wombat IMO

In my opinion,not even close!

Kiwi Eagle said:
Anyone that wasn't selected for the 60 year side you would think couldn't be selected for the 70th

I'd say that's a certainty. Like I said in the post with the 60th Anniversary Side, you are basically looking for players since 2006 that have done enough to force their way in.

Ramrod said:
About BK:

Didn't he wipe his hands of the club after Zorba was sacked?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4