4 GF rip offs in a row

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

silvertail

Reserve Grader
Reckon we lost fair and square in 82 & 83; as much as it still hurts to admit.

95 was the first of the rorts; skinniest 5m defensive line seen all year in that game, 3 tries from forward passes and a 7th tackle try that the league world seems to forget.

97 was arguably worse; the Knights were 'strangely primed' to run over the top of us in the second half of that game. How many of them from that team were tested positive for taking drugs? ... And I'm still bitter that 2Vs face was deliberately stomped with no action taken by refereeing officials.

07 was a greater insult; not only did the Storm cheat the salary cap in fielding that team, but the league world also turned a blind eye to their ugly wrestling and ruck control tactical inventions ... I also remember being stunned when the refs turned a blind eye when Snake was taken out ... Didn't even attract a penalty!

But IMHO, 13 was the biggest rort of all. I don't think I've ever seen a grand final with so many decisions going against the one team. May not as hurt as much as other GFs we lost, but by far, the greatest rip off of all.

I think DCE was taken out after kicking when Manly were in control & the forward pass was obvious.
Unfortunately the real factor was allowing SBW to make 2 key line breaks when the game was on the line & that was more defensive lapses than ref decisions so 2013, though hard done by, also contributed to the result in a big way.....
Storm over the cap was the worst straight up, on the fact they fielded an illegal team, pure & simple.
The Dogs simply utilised the refs loose loose interpretations being a GF & closed down an almost unstoppable Manly attack, especially Lyons, playing the only cards that could win the day, knowing that stretching the rules was their only hope.
Knights game had that eerie feeling when they wouldn't go away & still hurts to see it today, just couldn't get there...Knights maybe loaded up on whatever but feel they were gutsy & apart from losing, was a great GF Imo.

I have to agree with you about 13 being the biggest rort out of the lot. There were 7 or 8 shocking calls against us in the 1st half alone. I still remember James Maloney making a deliberate play at knocking the ball out of one of our player's hands as he was going to play the ball. It was so ****ing obvious yet the ref ruled it as a knock on against us.

That rort robbed Snake, Lyon, Matai and Ballin of being 3 time premiership winners (to date) as well as Toovey getting a title as head coach.

Hayne had the nerve to continue ****ing us over in the following season as well.

I'm not Nostradamus but the minute we got awarded that Jamie Lyon penalty try I thought here we go, we're going to cop catch-up bias from the referees after this. I'm not saying it was intentional, probably more a human nature thing.

Geez you blokes don't mind a bit of self torture at Xmas time....I'm guessing some new leather wear for chrissy, maybe go the whole hog on the gimp suit.:drunk:

97....still gettin therapy...never felt comfortable with Johns at Brooky!
These are definitely thoughts I don't want to tap into this time of the year. Instead uhm... oh yeah! 40 nil! And uhm... one of these for old times sake:

Attachments

• Brett.jpeg
    Brett.jpeg
    24.7 KB · Views: 12
I tend to think the 1997 loss, which saw Newcastle automatically receive a 5 year licence from 99/00 onwards and Manly having to enter into a JV with Norths, as more critical.

In the fullness of time the 2013 loss might match it, as the club brought the boom down on Toovey's coaching career and headed off in a new direction for next season and beyond. Who knows where we're headed?

And whilst I don't think we were ripped off, the close loss (13-9) to Souths in 1968 still looms large. Who knows, Manly might have gone back to back in '69 and the whole history of what became Souths last great era (I don't include 2014 as an 'era') might have looked very different.

I've watched most of our Grand Finals again on DVD but just simply refuse to watch 1997.

I was there on the day ( as I have been for every one since the 70's) and of all the losses it was the most earth shattering to me.

****ing Knights, I've never got over it.

95 was awful. 97 was unbearable.

Even though the storm cheated in 07 we were comprehensively outplayed.

We were so unlucky in 2013. The ref decisions were absolutely awful. Though we did get a penalty try.

As painful as 1995 was because of the Jim Dymock try on the 7th tackle, if we were being honest about it we have to admit that our boys just didn't show up that day. We seemed to think we had it won just because we jogged out onto the field. It was a reality check that spurred us on to the 1996 premiership.

1997.....that one still hurts way too much even 18 years later. I have never forgiven that blonde haired git Darren Albert for that try. Nor Andrew Johns or that dog MacDougall.

Yes we lost to a bunch of salary cap cheating scum in 2007, but like 1995 I can't get past the fact that on the night they simply out played us, especially in the second half. I'd like to blame the fact that Snake was taken out early in the second half, but it was a legal shot by Crocker. But we got our revenge. What was it....40-0 @:cool:.

I'm still not happy about how we capitulated to the Drizzle in the 2012 Prelim final. Everything to play for and we get done 40-12.

2013......nope, not even going there. Just can't do it. :swear::swear::swear::swear: Shame Hayne.......

2014 was also painful, especially given how we lost to the Scumdogs in the Semi final. How that grub Reynolds was not called offside in golden point I'll never know. I'm not saying we would have gone on to win the GF because in the form they were in Souffs would have been very hard to beat, but anything would have been possible.

Rant over. Bring on 2016.

Last edited:
Yes, we were certainly ripped off, screwed over and robbed from 4 extra grand final wins.

Each time I think of these games I get soooooooo angry and no matter which way I look at it, the truth is still the same. We should have a total of 12 grand final wins so far....end of story. :mad:

Bulldogs cheated, Drugcastle cheated with that bastard mad dog, Purple Scum cheated, Rorters cheated, refs cheated and the corrupt NRL cheated. I am not sure if I will ever get over any of them. Each of these games proves how ****ed the NRL is, make no mistake we were royally ****ed over. And the pain is still very much raw for me, for each of these complete and utter rorts.

Speaking of rort, ****ing rorters and shame hayne, 2013 was down right horrendous, corrupt cheating mongrels.

Thanks for bringing this thread up @silvertail...........lol..............@:p

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7