1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

30 years as a supporter

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by eagleE, Mar 23, 2011.

1. eagleE

eagleE Active Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0
    It just hit me last night that it is now 30 years since I became a Manly supporter. I was 6 years old and it was the season opener 1981. I have stuck solid throught the good times and bad. Won a few grand finals. Become friends with guys just because they support Manly as well. Cried. Laughed. But forever been faithful and loyal. And forever will be. Hopefully passed that onto my two kids as well. Celebrating by going to watch Manly down Newcastle with the family this weekend. Not bad for a young Arab Muslim boy from Western Sydney. And thank you all for having me.

2. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    Thanks for being had. You are a true supporter my friend.

3. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    let me guess, you hate the dogs the most ?

i'm in my 40th year as a eagles fan, seen all our gf wins, end of 71 I started following them

4. Uskovic

Uskovic New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    33 years for me, I was bought into goin for the sea eagles. Born in 78 I guess that was an omen, I remeber rugby league as far back from when I was 4 I have also seen the wins and the losses. The hardest thing for me is when Manly was in a joint venture was so hard to wartch and appreciate rugby league and if they hadnt of come back they would of just about lost me.

The happiest day of my Rugby League following days was when they Announced Manly was back!!!!! I went to about 80% of all games played up until 2008 Grandfinal Day!!!  I have supported then through all the Losses and all the wins and biy there were some ugly loses!!!!!

Be proud of this Team!!!  Even though I live out West these days I wear my Manly Gear with Pride!!!!  My son was conceived in 2008 so I had a feeling Manly would win the premiership Looks like he is taking after dad although my missus supports the doggies!!!! however she loves perving on Ballin LOL

5. eagleE

eagleE Active Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0
    Hate the Dogs with a passion. The same passion as I love the Eagles.

6. bob dylan

bob dylan Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Junee
    Ratings:
    +4,409 / 130
  7. mudgeagle

mudgeagle Active Member

Mudgee, New South Wales
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    43 years born into a manly crazy family , next generation manly fans now ...

8. Sooty Fan

Sooty Fan Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    There wasn't any other team.
    My grandparents lived in William St Brookvale.
    My parents met at brookvale public.
    I went to Manly boys! (its been coed since 83!)
    My first Manly memory was hearing the crowd at Brookie
    while at my grandparents on a Saturday arvo!

9. Central Coast Eagle

Central Coast Eagle Active Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 2
    Wow sooty fan my grandparents lived in William street too :)

10. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    Think I flicked the Radiers for the Eagles in 92

11. MPC75

MPC75 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 9
    33 years for me. I'm one of 7 kids and we are all manly supporters. Also I have my cousins, neices and nephews which is baout 50 in total and I would say that 90% are Manly supporters

12. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,777 / 258
    This year is my 48th (**** I am old).

Started when I was 8.

2 more years until the Golden Anniversary.

So I can assure you I have seen some good times, some great times and some bloody ****ty times....BUT never once have I ever thought about a change...Maroon and White till the day I die!!

13. lloydy

lloydy Active Member

Ratings:
    +86 / 0
    31 for me I was given a manly jumper the day I was born, 3rd generation fan and now my daughters are proudly 4th!!

14. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,843 / 103
    I've even eclipsed Mark, chalking up 50 years. Taken to my first game at Brookie by my dad when I was 7 or 8. I have a distant memory of watching Rex Mossop, although I was more intent on collecting bottles and redeeming them for cash.
    Those were the days.

15. jamesie

jamesie Active Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    I was 7 when I watched the '73 GF when Bozo beat those Gummies. Hooked for life. Living in the Shire all my life except for the odd year and there, it sometimes has been a lonely crusade. Dragged a few girlfriends over to Brookie over the years, but now have an 11 year old son who is Manly tragic already. See you all on Sunday for the return of the Prince.

16. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,777 / 258
    Old bastard!!

17. ayjay007

ayjay007 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0
  18. north coast eagle

north coast eagle Active Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0
    Great thread!

Good on you EagleE and good to know Im not the only old bloke.

My first memories of following Manly were in sixties. (I guess about 45 years for me??)

I remember listening to broadcasts on Dads radio. I think our play maker then was a guy called Bill Bradstreet? Anyone remember???

In our house if Manly won we celebrated by going out for chinese food. Which was as good as it gets for a kid growing up in the bush in the sixties.

19. lloydy

lloydy Active Member

Ratings:
    +86 / 0
    Sliding down the back of the hill on beer cartons at half time, best childhood memories at Brookie! I love the old girl.

20. zambuck

zambuck Active Member

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    Ratings:
    +112 / 1
    have been supporter 56 years played for narraweena  hawks  at 10
    and they have produced some players for manly alec tennant a centre , late 60s early 70s ian martin a 5/8 who played in our first grand final win . bill bradstreet was a lock forward and also was aust rep top guy i think he even coached either a ball side or a flegg side early 80,s i will never stop supporting manly as i will be buried in all my manly gear to carry on in the afterlife when ever that happens  a long time away i hope never missed a game until i moved to qld 15 years ago but still get to games against broncs as a corporate invite from their sponsor