3 things that decided swung game tonight .. Souths not impressive

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Beaver boy

Reserve Grader
1. The video ref not being able to adjudicate on forward passes. The ball that Gray gave inside for their first try was clearly forward. What a blight on the game !

2. Tooveys stupid decisión Jake in 2nd half. Burgess went straight through us twice for tries. Jake would of snapped him.

3. Toovey's stupid decision to play Hasson.

Our missed tackles count stands out, we had 7 more sets than them, yet missed 14 more tackles, that really highlights our weakness up front, I think Myles will really help turn that around.

The two Souffs penalities straight after half time a missed tackle from Hasson - two tries and game over

Video ref can rule on forward pass and we don't get our second try. Balances out.

Basically it came down to
1. No spark from dummy half. Boring one out ruck and then throw it out wide. Teams sweat on us doing that.
2. Poor bench composition. Hodges. Nuff said.
3. Lack of creativity in the 20. Same old same old.

Video ref can rule on forward pass and we don't get our second try. Balances out.

Basically it came down to
1. No spark from dummy half. Boring one out ruck and then throw it out wide. Teams sweat on us doing that.
2. Poor bench composition. Hodges. Nuff said.
3. Lack of creativity in the 20. Same old same old.[/QUOTE

Couldn't agree more. Both sides were offside tonight, refeering was appalling.
We are running the same attacking plays from 5 years ago.... Opposition defences are picking us off too easily.

You can look at isolated incidents during the game and this and that, but I think it all boils down to us being 2-3 decent forwards off beating quality teams.

There has been a lot of unfair criticism on our halves over the last season and a half, but the reality is they are playing behind an effective pack. Everything our halves have to do is off slow play-the-balls and a lack of forward momentum. Our pack tries hard and can occasionally hold their own, but not for a full 80 minutes. They have lapses in the middle of the ruck and it provides momentum to the opposition at crucial stages of tight matches.

There were a couple of occasions tonight where we had good field position (off penalties or drop balls), but the Bunnies were able to slow the ruck down and Foz and Chez were faced with set defence and were largely ineffective as a result. The individual happenings in the game are largely circumstantial in the overall scheme of things when the team sits at the bottom of the ladder and has only beaten one quality team this season (Storm).

I actually think the pass to Gray from Luke was a mile forward, but refs decisions aside it was our lack of intensity in defence was the issue and that was shared across the team. Everyone tried some of the time, but when you don't put in for the entire match thats what happens. This team just doesn't put in for each other consistently, its like they have a go and think my turn is done and have a sleep. No more evident than in our markers who are forever second to their feet to the bloke playing the ball. Our missed tackles tonight especially in the middle were terrible and IMO Starling was the worst defender in that regard, fresh back in and playing against his old team he was doing nothing but arm grabbing most of the night and let the bunnies forwards build huge momentum coming out of their half. How lazy were we on change overs and taps.

We have the slowest defensive line in the game (probably the only one that is onside as well), thats either fitness or attitude.

I put it down to stamina. Its non existent. We cannot keep up with other teams. We stay with them in the first half but the players seem too unfit to last a full 80 mins.

1. The video ref not being able to adjudicate on forward passes. The ball that Gray gave inside for their first try was clearly forward. What a blight on the game !

Tell that to the video refs (Steggles) who took a try off St Merge in their game against the Speels for exactly that. Hayne ruled it went forward. I didn't think video refs could call on balls going forward.

There was a story on MSN yesterday about how badly done by St Merge were with that call (among others). What about the one on Friday night that they allowed for Goodwin's try? Manly got ripped off there but where are the media stories on that???

This is why there are constant calls from fans and clubs asking for consistency in the referee calls. One was clearly forward, yet they award the try. One was knocked back and they rule it has gone forward.

Last edited:
Video ref over-rules are very inconsistent as well. Sometimes they change scrum feeds & sometimes they don't, sometimes they award a penalty for a high shot & sometimes not, sometimes change drop outs to taps & vice versa & sometimes not.

One of the biggest issues in the game is inconsistency & arbitrary decisions. Not sure how you fix it in on-field refs but there needs to be strict rules about when a video ref can change a decision.

Tell that to the video refs (Steggles) who took a try off St Merge in their game against the Speels for exactly that. Hayne ruled it went forward. I didn't think video refs could call on balls going forward.

There was a story on MSN yesterday about how badly done by St Merge were with that call (among others). What about the one on Friday night that they allowed for Goodwin's try? Manly got ripped off there but where are the media stories on that???

This is why there are constant calls from fans and clubs asking for consistency in the referee calls. One was clearly forward, yet they award the try. One was knocked back and they rule it has gone forward.
The video refs cant rule on a forward pass, as is the case when Gray threw it forward and Goodwin touched down.
In the case of the Dragons, the winger didn't throw the ball forward, but tapped it forward, and in this situation the video ref can make a ruling.

Video ref over-rules are very inconsistent as well. Sometimes they change scrum feeds & sometimes they don't, sometimes they award a penalty for a high shot & sometimes not, sometimes change drop outs to taps & vice versa & sometimes not.

One of the biggest issues in the game is inconsistency & arbitrary decisions. Not sure how you fix it in on-field refs but there needs to be strict rules about when a video ref can change a decision.

I have always been a firm believer of the video refs only being called in to make a decision with a try/no try only. Knock ons, drops outs and all that stuff should be up to the on field refs only. If they miss something well bad luck get on with the game. And the cant rule on forward pass is pretty dumb too what does it achieve just rule on it, everything else does.

Video ref over-rules are very inconsistent ... Not sure how you fix it in on-field refs but there needs to be strict rules about when a video ref can change a decision.

It is very easy to fix it IMHO.

Have the video refs in a Fox studio or a Chanel Nine studio away from the grounds with a live feed.

Have four video refs adjudicate of EVERY NRL game that week. Hence we get something the NRL cannot do that is consistency.

Change only one video ref per week. So for example number 1 guy gets replaced by a newby. Next week number 2 guy gets replaced and so on. Then after four weeks the original refs are all back together again. That would mean the 8 referees would work three weeks with one week off etc,.

Also the NRL was toying with the idea of putting a satellite chip in the footballs to track forward movement. A company had approached the NRL with the technology but yet we hear nothing has come of it.

I think the better question to the NRL is not why can't this organisation fix these problems? Does it even want to?

Well Tony Archer has come out and said the video refs got everything correct.

so...this is where the game is at the moment.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6