$2m carrot ensures nines event won't be hit and giggle

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
A rugby league pre-season competition will be reborn next season with a $2 million prize pool.
The long-awaited nines tournament will be unveiled by the NRL on Thursday morning, with all 16 clubs competing in the NRL Auckland Nines at Eden Park on February 15-16.

Winners will walk away with about $450,000 while teams will be guaranteed a minimum of $90,000. Clubs must provide at least one of their five highest-paid players in their squad of 16, which will include at least 12 players from the club's top-25 squad.
Rugby league last had a pre-season sevens tournament in 2004. NRL head of football Todd Greenberg said the competition would help develop the game.

''It's been more than 12 months in the making,'' Greenberg said. ''It's a great shot in the arm for the game that Auckland Tourism has shown such significant strength to invest in a concept like this.
''It's a really important strategic part for the game. It'll grow audience, viewers and new fans to the game. It opens us to new markets.''
The event will be unchanged for the next five years with Auckland Tourism, Events and Economic Development tipping in a $9 million sponsorship.

Rules may be altered, too, with Australian coach Tim Sheens to head a rules committee. Initial changes being considered include scoring teams to kick off. Fans will also have an opportunity to put forward possible rule changes.

''It's clear that this time of year most clubs are playing trials which don't have a great commercial return,'' Greenberg said. ''We've found a slot in the season structure which we think can work really well. I think you'll find that players will be very engaged to compete for big prizemoney. I think players will play to win.''
Teams will be divided into four pools, with the top two advancing to the finals, and may be grouped based on 2013 performances.
Unlike the previous world sevens tournaments, there will be no minor play-off games. Two pool games will be played on day one, with the final group match followed by finals on day two. ''Several clubs have already made inquires about staging camps,'' Greenberg said. ''Some will take their whole squad over to make it a real pre-season camp.''

Clubs will play regular trial matches on the weekends either side of the nines tournament before the NRL season kicks off on Thursday, March 6.
Greenberg said the nines tournament plus the annual All-Stars match, which has been postponed next year because of the World Cup, would launch the season together from 2015.

How the nines will work
■ 16-man squad with 12 of the players from the club’s top-25 squad
■ At least one of the top five paid players from each club will play
■ Players have to feature in at least one game
■ Likely to be shown on Fox Sports
■ Prizemoney from $90,000 to about $450,000
■ Four pools, top two teams progress to finals
■ Clubs able to wear one-off jerseys
■ 18-minute matches

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/2m-carrot-ensures-nines-event-wont-be-hit-and-giggle-20130903-2t3e1.html#ixzz2driHBPTL

Im really struggling to get interested in this concept. 4 less players on a team than the normal game. More tries obviously, as defences will have gaps everywhere. Tries wont be as special as they will be happening more often - less hard work up the middle needed to score.
Looking into my crystal ball i dont think it will be too engaging, just a poor imitation of the 13 a side game. Yaaaawn

But after a couple of months of boring summer cricket perhaps it wont seem so bad..

Hearing an International 9's for emerging Nations will also be run with it with the Grand Final played prior to the NRL one.
So Countries like Canada, Japan, Portugal, Argentina, etc will get a run(not playing with the NRL teams).

So if true as a game stand point it's already had a bigger impact then the Allstars.

I like it, more footy is always good.

Don't like the risk of more injuries all the same.

Would prefer they extend the existing comp though so every team can play each other twice, and at their respective home grounds, and share the revenue around a little more fairly.

I think the season is too long already, and so do the players. It is supposed to be a six-month sport. Now it is an eight-month sport.
In my opinion the premiership should be reduced to 20 rounds, with standalone weekend for the three SOO matches. I know it won't happen because TV dictates that 'more is better'. But there is a definite lull in our season that could be eliminated by shortening the season.
I think this nines tournament is just another TV filler.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
... NRL head of football Todd Greenberg said the competition would help develop the game.
''It's been more than 12 months in the making,'' Greenberg said. ''It's a great shot in the arm for the game that Auckland Tourism has shown such significant strength to invest in a concept like this.
''It's a really important strategic part for the game. It'll grow audience, viewers and new fans to the game. It opens us to new markets.''
…''It's clear that this time of year most clubs are playing trials which don't have a great commercial return,'' Greenberg said. ''We've found a slot in the season structure which we think can work really well. I think you'll find that players will be very engaged to compete for big prizemoney. I think players will play to win.''
... ''Several clubs have already made inquires about staging camps,'' Greenberg said. ''Some will take their whole squad over to make it a real pre-season camp.''
…Greenberg said the nines tournament plus the annual All-Stars match, which has been postponed next year because of the World Cup, would launch the season together from 2015.
Yeah? I don't believe a word he says.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Berkeley_Eagle said:
... NRL head of football Todd Greenberg said the competition would help develop the game.
…''It's clear that this time of year most clubs are playing trials which don't have a great commercial return,'' Greenberg said. ''We've found a slot in the season structure which we think can work really well. I think you'll find that players will be very engaged to compete for big prizemoney. I think players will play to win.''
... ''Several clubs have already made inquires about staging camps,'' Greenberg said. ''Some will take their whole squad over to make it a real pre-season camp.''
…Greenberg said the nines tournament plus the annual All-Stars match, which has been postponed next year because of the World Cup, would launch the season together from 2015.
Yeah? I don't believe a word he says.

Yeah yeah sure Todd. Anyway....tell us about the Ben Barba cover up.

Used to go to every 7's tournament - the only other time I cheer for another team, as underdogs give it a white hot go & often cause upsets.
Also know Manly will go a long way in this comp if full strength with 1-7 will carve them up. Add Symonds , Gift , Gutherson & the flying Lawrence who could cross for a few 60 metre meat pies.
Guarantee after suffering the cricket over summer, this tournament will be Gold for every Silvertail supporter....

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4