$253 to park near Brookie

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
$253 to park near Brookie

* news
          o Transport & Traffic

22 Jun 10 @ 04:51pm by Danielle Nicastri
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/news/story/253-to-park-near-brookie/

DOZENS of rugby league fans paid up to $253 to park their cars near Brookvale Oval on the weekend to see the Manly Sea Eagles play.

On Saturday night 38 cars were booked in the streets surrounding the oval, according to Northern Beaches highway patrol commander Senior Sergeant Rick Janssen.

“It just chokes up the area so if there’s an emergency situation at the oval, it makes it hard for everyone,” he said.

“It’s a pretty regular thing when it happens - people park wherever they want.”

While their owners were enjoying the game, cars in a no-stopping zone or parked too close to a pedestrian crossing were fined $253. Those too close to double lines were fined $197, those parked in a bus zone $189 and those on a nature strip $84.

Shackel Ave resident Paul Twining said illegal parking during home games was usual.

He said some spectators scoff at the $10 he charges drivers to park in his driveway, before they return to find a fine of almost $200.

“It’s quite funny the number of people who won’t pay the $10 but then they come back and pick up their fine,” he said.

“I’ve told them, ‘look, don’t park there - it’s illegal,’ but they shrug their shoulders and that sort of thing, and walk off.

“Then the ranger comes running with his camera - he’s voracious about (parking).”

Mr Twining said both visitors and locals park illegally in the street during matches.

Another resident, Mataji Kennedy said the street was already too narrow for residents, with half of the road a single-lane, two-way street.

“Some people come quite a long way so I don’t know if public transport is viable for them, but the parking fine is probably the cost of a cab fare,” she said.

A buddy of mine used to live up the top of alfred parade. he worked as a printer's apprentice at the time (shows you how long ago this story is set).

His family were fed up with people parking in their driveway. He had a sticker made up which he would plaster like wallpaper on offending car windows:

'This is the driveway to a private residence. You have parked illegally in our driveway, effectively parking us in for the day. Arseholes like you should take the Bus!'

We have a very long, narrow driveway at home, so whenever someone parks over it, my approach is two fold.

1. If its a rear wheel drive, I jack up the back two wheels and push them out of the way.

2. Deflate all of their tyres (not slashing them, but just let the air out).

They rarely offend twice.

there are plenty of legal parking spots, i never have a problem.

anyone parked illegally should be fined - thats goes for any day any where

Fluffy link said:
there are plenty of legal parking spots, i never have a problem.

anyone parked illegally should be fined - thats goes for any day any where

Thats because you don't drive to the games or park so far away from the ground no one parks there...and if you say I am wrong I'll ask Duffy ;)

mate, plenty of parking around - just hang a left by Strathfield car radios & drive down to the industrial estate.

Never had a problem - I usually park in my secret spot much closer but I'm not posting it here :) 

Jerry1 link said:
mate, plenty of parking around - just hang a left by Strathfield car radios & drive down to the industrial estate.

Never had a problem - I usually park in my secret spot much closer but I'm not posting it here :) 

Come on Jerry, what's this no sharing attitude.

Can't say I've ever had too much trouble with parking. Just walk a little bit (not even that far).

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4