1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2016 Draw (From Hell)

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by robbiea, Sep 23, 2016.

1. robbiea

robbiea Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,594 / 63
    Hopefully our draw this year will be better.
    A couple of weeks ago I sent a email to the Nrl quizzing them on how they decide the draw.
    Here are a couple of the replies I got.
    Troubling indeed.

1.The NRL announces the schedule following consultation with the host broadcasters. Of course individual clubs are able to, and do give their preferences for consideration in that process via the NRL. Venue availability is also a consideration.

2.It is worth noting that the NRL will take control of the scheduling of the draw from 2018.

2. NewwyEagle

NewwyEagle I sleep in a racing car

Ratings:
    +1,174 / 59
    The early part was rough but we had a great finish to the season, I think we left Sydney once in the final ten rounds or something. We need more Friday and Sunday games. Although I'm not sure how much Sunday afternoon games at brookie mean anymore

3. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,713 / 257
    2017 will be almost identical to 2016, and probably worse considering we are a non event.

Our pleas for Sunday arvo's will fall on deaf ears, but there's one small difference no Monday's next year.

Oh, and in advance news, the Donkeys will be given 22 Friday nights, 1 Thursday night ( to open the season v the Cowboys) and 1 Saturday ( v Cowboys in Townsville).

Mark my words, Chan 9 will squeeze every last dollar out of their last " Donkyfest"

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Woodsie

Woodsie played strong, done good.

Ratings:
    +4,747 / 100
    I would suggest that the 14 clubs that aren't Brisbane or Parramatta launch a class action in the court of sports arbitration.

Any draw that is demonstrably disadvantageous must be appealable.

These are professional teams with businesses at stake.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Clever Clever x 1
  5. Shoe1

Shoe1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,632 / 74
    The secret is to demand Monday nights and Thursday nights. Voila, we get sundays

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Clever Clever x 2
  6. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +968 / 40
    Aren't 5 day turnarounds scrapped for next year aswell?

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Wombat64

Wombat64 Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Church Point
    Ratings:
    +1,370 / 37
    They're are going to **** us and the then fuch us again

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Shoe1

Shoe1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,632 / 74
    @globaleagle will vouch for that, he works for the Canadian company that does the draw. Help us out this year willya!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Woodsie

Woodsie played strong, done good.

Ratings:
    +4,747 / 100
    @globaleagle No wonder the Canadian National pastime is saying sorry ... woot

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Turbo1

Turbo1 Scott Penn is a **** head

Ratings:
    +718 / 155
    I hope so it's a joke that Brisbane and other favourites had no 5 day turnarounds

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Harvies elbow

Harvies elbow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,702 / 20
    Wow. Congratulations robbiea, you're the 1st person I've heard to actually get A reply let alone 2...
    When 2018 rolls around and the league does it's own draw more likely they'll pander to broadcasters interests anyway.
    I have no faith in them.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. MadMarcus

MadMarcus Local Lunatic 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +5,806 / 53
    I've seen the draw and let me tell you we've been stitched up again. We are playing a team who is better than us every week for 24 of the 26 rounds. That NRL and their draw have a lot to answer for...

• Funny Funny x 4
  13. globaleagle

globaleagle Où est mon chapeau Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +7,782 / 58
    Doin' my best. S'funny, we can do 30 teams over here in the NHL that play 82 games each in the regular season without a bother....but the nrl can't do 16 teams playing 24 times without screwing over a few teams???

Lemme tell ya...it's not the combinations and permutations that are the problem, it's the old boys at the top dictating that Manly get bugger all sunday arvo games and 5 day turn arounds. They'd be shot over here if they tried pulling that stunt.

Sorry you feel that way!

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. Brissie Kid

Brissie Kid Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +827 / 10
    Since 2015 the NRL rigs the draw so that most Sydney clubs play each other twice. This way of the NRL rigging the draw is to maximise Sydney tv ratings, crowds & media.

So for Manly this has so far in 2015 and 2016 meant playing every Sydney based team away and some at home.

But as Manly fans know it is the Sydney clubs & crowds who fire up the most against Manly.

Even at Brookie we all know with Arko now long gone the NRL referees turn up determined to show they won't let the crowd & Manly influence them. So our home games are less of an advantage.

So in combination Manly finds it hard winning against all Sydney clubs.

But in away games against non Sydney clubs Manly does quite well at winning. Which is less valuable now as the NRL draw means we get far less away games against non Sydney clubs.

This all means Manly will drop 3 or 4 wins every year under this new draw system. That's a lot of points to have make up and can be difference between getting in the top 4 or top 8 or not.

But don't expect any sympathy from the NRL or any other Sydney club.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mickqld

mickqld Sack Greenslime 2016 Tipping Competitor

Gold Coast
    Ratings:
    +3,744 / 57
    Think I heard last night it was the Sharks first Fri night game of the year. This is the team that was top of table most of the year and won 15 in a row. I know the Gummies prefer Sat night and Sun arvo home games and they got way more of them than us but it Just shows how biased and rigged it all is.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,713 / 257
    Nothing to do with fairness , nothing to do with what clubs want, nothing to do with fans in mind and ALL to do with Chan 9.

It's absolute bull**** of the very highest degree!

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Budgewoi Eagle

Budgewoi Eagle In for the long haul. Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +4,015 / 52
    Just read somewhere that we've agreed to play our home game against Brisbane again in Brisbane. If true, I don't care how much the Penns make out of it, it sure as hell puts us partly responsible for any bad 'luck' that comes out of the next draw.

18. Batty

Batty Active Member

Ratings:
    +391 / 51
    Do you reckon it's a catch 22 for the club though?

Earn $350,000 for taking the game to Suncorp?

Or have the game at Brookie and get an average crowd. Average because so many supporters voting with their feet (lots admittedly on Silvertails) because they don't agree with club decisions?

Can't say I blame them.
    In all honesty - The players probably prefer playing in front of a packed crowd rather than a half full Brookie....

19. Budgewoi Eagle

Budgewoi Eagle In for the long haul. Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +4,015 / 52
    If that's the case, then it's a miserable symbol of how far we've sunk. The players used to love playing at Brookie and the prime motivator for a game of footy was to get the win above making $$$.

20. Batty

Batty Active Member

Ratings:
    +391 / 51
    Defiantly a sign of the times.... Agree with you there.

But as I said, if Brookie was packed our week after week - in my opinion, no games would go to Suncorp.

Unhappy supporters = no crowds = Suncorp money over Brookie....
    Bit of a snowball happening.

If we can get some wins under our belt in 2017 - the crowds will come back - members will increase and everything will improve. Sounds easy. :)

• Like Like x 1