2014 draw rumour (tripleM's supergrass)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Supergrass revealed on Triple M's Grill Team that the NRL are discussing major competition changes including a conference-based fixture as well as seperate feature matches to kick off the season.

"I have heard the NRL went and met with the TV broadcasters asking them to 'think outside the box' to try and increase ratings for next year," said Supergrass on the Grill Team.

"I can reveal today two moves they are considering."

"One is a split round one featuring two blockbusters in the first week as stand-alone with the other six games the following week."

This system is already working successfully in the AFL.

"The other thing is the TV networks also want a fixture that makes sure all Sydney teams play each other twice."

"This is controversial because it means the draw isn't going to be fair."

The system would likely see the sides close to Sydney in one conference and all clubs further away in another - similar to the way the NFL and Super Rugby competitions work.

Rumoured structures have the Sydney conference including Roosters, Rabbitohs, Tigers, Sea Eagles, Sharks, Eels, Dragons and Bulldogs with the 'outsiders' conference consisting of the Broncos, Titans, Warriors, Panthers, Raiders, Cowboys, Storm and Knights.

We'll find out for sure in a few weeks when next year's competition is officially announced.

https://soundcloud.com/triple-m-nrl/supergrass-nrl-discussing

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sport/nrl/news/2013/10/supergrass-predicts-major-format-changes-to-the-2014-nrl-season/

[quote='
"The other thing is the TV networks also want a fixture that makes sure all Sydney teams play each other twice."

"This is controversial because it means the draw isn't going to be fair."

An unfair draw? Surely not....

The conf system could be made fair by giving the conf with the best teams an extra finals spot.

The only way a conference would be fair is to use the standing from the year before to decide who is in which conference. i.e 1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15 in 1 conference and 2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16 in the other.

It would be unfair on the non Sydney team.
We would get to play
Parra twice (4 points)
Tigers twice (4 points)
Dragons twice (4 points)
Add 4 points to the bye

And we would only need to win another 7 games to make the 8 happy days #gomanly :)

Why is Penrith outside of Sydney and Parramatta isn't :huh:

Do the non-Sydney Teams also have to play each other twice?
Does it mean that Sydney based Teams only play the other Conference at their home ground?

Having split rounds won't do anything for NRL TV audiences, as most of us don't even watch SOO games if there are no Manly Players involved. Sure way to break RL Audience viewing habit and accelerate the decline in viewers.:cool:

The NRL need to understand their market and what we want. :idea:
Transposing other Sports' Audience habits does not work with us - see Monday night, the NFL scheduling along with the AFL's Thursday night slot:mad:.

Get the NRL fat cats to take public transport from City or Parra on a Monday or Friday night to a game - then the scheduling may reflect the realities of Sydney Transport and help improve attendances.:dodgy:

Sydney is such a large and congested place that people just want to get home from work and attend their local establishments/grounds. :cool:

bones said:
Coming from Supergrass means it's spot on. I'm still annoyed we lost Kieran Foran to the Bulldogs for next year.
TBH i'm more pissed at Tooves for not selecting Folau in the top grade. I mean, he was training with the squad and all, surely he was a chance of a run!!

Shoe1 said:
The conf system could be made fair by giving the conf with the best teams an extra finals spot.

Who decides which are the best teams?

And here I thought this thread would be about Golden Point being scrapped

Anything from MMM is bull sh1t.....the NRL still haven't sorted out NSW Cup/Reserve grade....but they start training in 2 weeks.....so now is the NSW Cup coach a full timer....do all clubs have to have a reserve grade side....?????...etc etc etc...
Where are u Mr Smith & Co....in the Bahamas or just taking an undeserved break

Ch Nein outlayed a billion and now they are pissed off with dwindling ratings already. Now starts the stench of rigged draws and favouritism to high profile teams with larger followings.

Let's follow what the AFL have done, that always seems to work out well for Rugby League.

Standalone FFS and do something unique

Dan are you saying we should re-instate to the top comp Newtown, Annandale, Sydney Uni, Norths, Glebe since they are the clubs within 5km of moore park just like the AFL have done?

For those a bit geographically unaware, almost all of the Melbourne teams are within 5km of MCG and etihad

Ralphie said:
Shoe1 said:

Who decides which are the best teams?

That'd be the new Attorney General from Qld, obviously.

Clearly fluffy the sarcasm was wasted in my post, and it appears you failed to read the rest of the post

Dan said:
Clearly fluffy the sarcasm was wasted in my post, and it appears you failed to read the rest of the post

Maybe you need to add
sarcasm-1.gif
to the list of Silvertails Smilies :)

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8