2013 game tactics

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

NYEagle

Bencher
Has anyone else noticed this, but this year we are seeing many more dour tackling efforts than ever before. To me, this seems to be happening because teams do not want to take risks with the football anymore. Consider this, if you string a bunch of passes together, or pop a chip over the top, you risk not only losing the ball and giving the other team field position, but secondly having to do all the running forward in attack, then all running backwards in defence therefore tiring out your team more and making it more leaky in defence. What you see now, unlike before, is teams settling into dour contests with limited creativity and broken field play, instead opting to play out a set for a kick or a penalty. The team doesn't have to run as far, therefore are fresh for the defensive set.

I was never worried Manly would bleed a try late, because thy were in their own half the whole time and didn't have to run and chase very far.

So it came down to penalties and field goal attempts.

What has happened in rugby league where it has turned out that penalties have become the attacking weapon?.

All we talk about now is completed sets, tackles made, and penalty counts. Line breaks are almost a forgotten stat as there are so few.

It's a worry and takes a lot away from the spectacle, but how to fix it?. Should we fix it?.

NYEagle

It's become more n more like watching touch footy. I actually played a couple of touch footy games tonight and refed one and when I got home and started watching the game I was yelling out that the dummy half got coughs with the ball!

There is a sameness now about the way almost every team plays. Not sure how to fix that but occasionally if I see a bit of old footage from previous eras the difference in the game is remarkable.

I have noticed that we have played the last 3 games using only 16 players. 3 different players have been no 17 and none have played.

Why does 2v have no confidence in these players?

The only reason is that Tooves is tuff ending them up and getting the endurance levels sky high.

There are too many soft penalties in matches, and penalties do have an enormous impact on results.
i said a couple of years ago that rugby union had got it right (which is very rare for them) with the short-arm penalty. This is the tap-and-go for non-serious infringements.
I believe RL should have the same system. You get a new set of six tackles for the soft infringements ie. hand on ball, accidental offside, moving off the mark, inside 10metres etc, and only receive the free kick for major infringements ie. foul play, deliberate infringements etc.
The ref should have the power to give players 5 & 10 minute stints in the bin if they continually infringe.
Too many times we've seen the better team lose (or draw) because of the severity of penalties.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2