2010 Member Numbers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
You are probably right Doug, the current membership manager also has the website to run (his original job), and he's leaving due to the pressure of the job.They just need to look at what the top AFL sides do and model themselves on that....BUT it is part of the "culture" to not be a member...for example how many on this website are not members???......the answer is a lot.....and why not???

The Sea Eagles actually have a Marketing Manager based at Narrabeen. It is none of my business how Lowe structures the front/back office but maybe Membership can be rolled into a joint function now that Aaron leaving. I would have thought that they jointly worked on the membership anyway.

Matabele link said:
[quote author=swoop link=topic=182576.msg253991#msg253991 date=1268218367]
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=182576.msg253982#msg253982 date=1268216019]
I'm sorry.  I think its wonderful our membership numbers are stagnant and 14th or 15th in the League.  Great effort fellas, so proud of you.  Go Manly!

Everyone knows our membership is low. You don't have to be a smartarse about it.
[/quote]  Well it's not rocket science is it?

1.  Broker a deal between Manly and FC to combine the current membership structure.
2.  Employ a membership marketer/manager.
3.  Link in with the NRL's drive on membership.
4.  Make more of our Twitter/Facebook presence, rather than surrendering them to breathless pieces on the length of the grass at Brookvale.
5.  Get on with it.

[/quote]

Obviously it's not that easy otherwise don't you think this would be done?  There's politics and egos that need to be satisfied and funding it would be the major sticking point i.e who's going to fork out the $$$$?

It just might be that Manly fans are not of the 'herd' mentality that some other supporters of lesser teams are.  Until an independent auditor, not Shubert, does the work on member numbers, I'll see figures that come out of Souffs and St George with sceptisism.  I well remember game attendance figures being highly inflated way back when they meant something.  Flogging 10 dollar memberships can do it, but is it a sustainable in the end?     

It's just the fans.

You'll get your hardcore that go to all the games that will gladly join up to support it but aside from that, you wont get anyone. It's not a matter of marketing. You can't make someone buy what they don't want. Northern Beaches people just don't roll that way.

I'd be surprised if the football is the only thing in the area that although popular, struggles to get members or participants and the like. It's just not the way we roll up here for whatever reason.

If you look at the people who put in most of the effort (Vidmar etc), I'd be very surprised if many of them were Northern Beaches natives.

Hey Duff, I like your description of fans.  Calling people "Hardcore" fans is much better than the alienating way of calling some "True Supporters".

positivo1.gif

Jatz Crackers link said:
The owners must have a business plan. Where is the business plan.

Lol jatz business plans would be inefective if everyone new about it including competitors, im 100% sure they have one but most likly sealed away somewhere.

The thing about manlys low membership numbers in my opinoion is the fact that Manly is blessed with its fantastic beaches (reason why so many celebs live on the north shore), if the team is not performing people tend to go to the beach instead.

Where places like souths, parra, dogs, brisbane ect dont have that capabilty and have nothing else but support their team through thick and thin. Sure they could drive there but most manly fans can walk down the road to get to the beach.  This is Just an observation not fact .....

All good BUT of the 70,000 Manly fans at the 2008 Grand Final how many are members today??

Like Clarkey and Bingle "Where the Bloody Hell are ya"!!!

deadlyeagle link said:
[quote author=Jatz Crackers link=topic=182576.msg254028#msg254028 date=1268270844]

Lol jatz business plans would be inefective if everyone new about it including competitors, im 100% sure they have one but most likly sealed away somewhere.

The thing about manlys low membership numbers in my opinoion is the fact that Manly is blessed with its fantastic beaches (reason why so many celebs live on the north shore), if the team is not performing people tend to go to the beach instead.

Where places like souths, parra, dogs, brisbane ect dont have that capabilty and have nothing else but support their team through thick and thin. Sure they could drive there but most manly fans can walk down the road to get to the beach.  This is Just an observation not fact .....
[/quote]

Actually I feel the Broncos number's are very low considering what they have going for them. One team town etc.

I really hate the "true supporters" concept.....ok I am a Football Club member, also a Sea Eagles Ticketed member (despite almost never using that as I live in Brisbane) BUT does that make me more a "true" suporter than some.

NO

But I do agree that people should belong to something, and that's not Rupert Murdoch's Foxtel.

BUT

If you can afford it...be a member

If you want to....be a member

If you feel better by particpating in a financial sense....be a member

If you don't then don't be labled with the "you are not a true supporter"...absolute garbage.

I love that I support the club in many ways, I am proud to say I do but I will NEVER be anti anyone that does otherwise, I don't understand why they don't but that is their choice!!

Mark from Brisbane link said:
I really hate the \"true supporters\" concept.....ok I am a Football Club member, also a Sea Eagles Ticketed member (despite almost never using that as I live in Brisbane) BUT does that make me more a \"true\" suporter than some.

NO

But I do agree that people should belong to something, and that's not Rupert Murdoch's Foxtel.

BUT

If you can afford it...be a member

If you want to....be a member

If you feel better by particpating in a financial sense....be a member

If you don't then don't be labled with the \"you are not a true supporter\"...absolute garbage.

I love that I support the club in many ways, I am proud to say I do but I will NEVER be anti anyone that does otherwise, I don't understand why they don't but that is their choice!!

Very true comments and suggestions Mark as we all love and support the team/club in some way.  That is why I like Duff's terminology of "Hardcore" fans or even "Hardcore" supporters.  It still acknowledges everyone as a fan and alienates nobody like "not a true supporter" does.

swoop link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=182576.msg253999#msg253999 date=1268221162]
I'm sorry.  I think its wonderful our membership numbers are stagnant and 14th or 15th in the League.  Great effort fellas, so proud of you.  Go Manly!

Everyone knows our membership is low. You don't have to be a smartarse about it.

1.  Broker a deal between Manly and FC to combine the current membership structure.
4.  Make more of our Twitter/Facebook presence, rather than surrendering them to breathless pieces on the length of the grass at Brookvale.
5.  Get on with it.

[/quote]

Obviously it's not that easy otherwise don't you think this would be done?  There's politics and egos that need to be satisfied and funding it would be the major sticking point i.e who's going to fork out the $$$$?

[/quote]  Well you mentioned I was being negative, and now you know why.  Politics and ego are getting in the way, and perhaps $$$ is an issue, but if I remind you why you'll put me on the rack for that.

eagles2win link said:
[quote author=deadlyeagle link=topic=182576.msg254046#msg254046 date=1268289610]
[quote author=Jatz Crackers link=topic=182576.msg254028#msg254028 date=1268270844]

[/quote]

Actually I feel the Broncos number's are very low considering what they have going for them. One team town etc.

[/quote]

I thought the same aswell, i was being specific on manly in that statement.

Also what could possibly contribute to the broncos and manly is the lack of marketing skill as previously discussed or the lack of care for new members joining or not.

For brisbane possibly due to the club always maintaining high profits they have a less focus on fans and more about coperate responsibilities. It is funny also that i have seen more marketing and advertisements in brisbane for joining the GC Titans than the Broncos, so they must simply not caare as much about members.

Duff link said:
It's just the fans.

You'll get your hardcore that go to all the games that will gladly join up to support it but aside from that, you wont get anyone. It's not a matter of marketing. You can't make someone buy what they don't want. Northern Beaches people just don't roll that way.

I'd be surprised if the football is the only thing in the area that although popular, struggles to get members or participants and the like. It's just not the way we roll up here for whatever reason.

If you look at the people who put in most of the effort (Vidmar etc), I'd be very surprised if many of them were Northern Beaches natives.

My thoughts..

* I agree that the northern beaches is such a hard market to crack. But as Mark said, there were 70,000 + manly fans at the grand final, so they're out there! Just have to find them..
* I think the queens/soufs have great success with their membership is because they campaign so hard for it. The Souths players are getting out signing members.. Wendell (as annoying as he may be) is doing SO much for the dragons. Half the things that come out of his mouth (in all channels - twitter, tv, news) he will talk about the redV club. He (and other dragons alumni) were at the charity shield at the gates signing up people! I know if I wasn't a member of Manly, and Geoff Toovey or spud came up to me at brookie asking me to become a member, how could you say no? I don't think Manly is "out and about" enough getting members.
* Club is doing much better with the facebook page, but I think they need to use this and other internet mediums more. So cheap and easy! Twitter would be good too (I love how the mariners coach Lawrie McKinna does his twitter updates with scoops before/after the game). Again, wendell does twitter really well for the queens - Creates a bit more hype..

Matabele link said:
[quote author=swoop link=topic=182576.msg254020#msg254020 date=1268259565]
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=182576.msg253999#msg253999 date=1268221162]

5.  Get on with it.

[/quote]

[/quote]  Well you mentioned I was being negative, and now you know why.  Politics and ego are getting in the way, and perhaps $$$ is an issue, but if I remind you why you'll put me on the rack for that.
[/quote]

I think most posters know what the problems are. Unfortunately when we were bailed out by Delmege things were put in place hastily and now we're suffering the consequences. Sure, in hindsight, had all your points been thought out by the heirachy we wouldn't be having these problems.

I think it's going to take a while before we have a happy, cohesive,functional, professional running club.

All good ideas Nita, but I think you're overestimating the enthusiasm of your average NB local.

Would they give a stuff about anything the club could offer? I think not.

deadlyeagle link said:

[/quote]

Of course. My post wasnt intended literally. It was more a tongue in cheek reference. Some posters on here did actually take the time to propose a business plan including details about increasing membership. Im not sure if any of those ideas were ever implemented.

Well, the numbers are up by another one today. 

I have finally put a Maroon membership for myself on my credit card this afternoon (haven't told the missus yet so I might get into a bit of trouble as we can't really afford the luxuries at the moment on one wage).

Getting a membership is something that I have wanted to do for a long time but the budget has been very tight so I haven't been able to and really can't afford to now but it is done now :)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6