2009 tipping comp, important information and questions

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
Hi all,

This year we will be offering a prize for the tipping competition, we are still finalizing the prize but it is likely going to be a framed Grand Final photograph valued at around $150 though as I say though, this is still being finalized. We will also be looking to provide a prize for last place as well. Conditions on this are that, the person who comes last, can not have just signed up and not tipped, you will need to make a concerted effort to actually participate.

Due to the prize being offered, we are looking at adding a joining fee for the tipping comp, which then should boost the coffers of Silvertails and help us add more features going forward well at least cover costs :)

As such I wanted to gauge people's willingness to pay to enter such a competition and compete for prizes as well as find out what you think would be a reasonable price?

I was thinking of the below price structure.

$2 - per week or $20 per season if paid up front or by round 3( I will be coding in a lockout system so that it will lock you out if you have not paid

I think that is a reasonable price for the comp but am willing to hear you all out if you think it is too expensive. I guess I am trying to see how many would participate, for the above prize at the above cost, or whether you think it should be lowered, which may allow more to enter. I am trying to balance cost with participate vs prize etc here and hopefully pulling a profit to put back into the site next season etc (Being 100% honest and upfront here)

Also I know that not many liked last years tipping comp format. So I want to get your thoughts on a new format, and ASAP as I need to start and finish coding it before the season kicks off.

I was thinking of still having a pick the score / margin / winner competition with bonus rounds at random intervals in the year.

So pretty similar to last year, just better presented and written.

But I would welcome your thoughts again.

Dan

Dan the prize is a significant one and will greatly enhance the prestige of the competition.  I'd also like to point out that there is a great deal of epxense you incur personally to provide this site as a service to all of us, and $20 per season to contribute and compete for a great prize is a small thing to ask.

Count me in.

Good to hear mate thanks.

Also I wouldn't mind hearing about suggested formats for the tipping comp either

I like just the straight out tipping comp.  1 point for every game you pick.  simple and easy.  All the other additions just clutter it up and make it too cerebral.

The only consideration is what to give people if there is a draw.  either half a point for everyone or 2-4 points for picking one and taking the punt at the risk of getting zero.

Yep i'd pay to be in

Agaree with Mata - just keep it simple:

1 point for win
3 points for draw

Maybe you can pick one game in the round that you are confident in and you get double points if you get it right?

I would be keen.

I agree with Mata - the simpler the better.  I have no probs with an extra point or two if you pick a whole round but it would be fairer that whoever picks the most games over a year collects. Leave SOO out - too much emotion involved. Don't have draws, with golden point they are a miracle punt - if they have one just give everyone the point.

Count me in. I think the $20.00 entry is more than reasonable.

As for the format of the comp I am great believer in the KIS (keep it simple) method. Simple 1 point for a win and and 3 for a draw works for me with the possibility of maybe adding a bonus point for tipping a perfect round. The comp should also only be for premiership games and not include the final series. Anyway just my thoughts

Dan link said:
Hi all,

This year we will be offering a prize for the tipping competition, we are still finalizing the prize but it is likely going to be a framed Grand Final photograph valued at around $150 though as I say though, this is still being finalized. We will also be looking to provide a prize for last place as well. Conditions on this are that, the person who comes last, can not have just signed up and not tipped, you will need to make a concerted effort to actually participate.

Due to the prize being offered, we are looking at adding a joining fee for the tipping comp, which then should boost the coffers of Silvertails and help us add more features going forward well at least cover costs :)

As such I wanted to gauge people's willingness to pay to enter such a competition and compete for prizes as well as find out what you think would be a reasonable price?

I was thinking of the below price structure.

$2 - per week or $20 per season if paid up front or by round 3( I will be coding in a lockout system so that it will lock you out if you have not paid

I think that is a reasonable price for the comp but am willing to hear you all out if you think it is too expensive. I guess I am trying to see how many would participate, for the above prize at the above cost, or whether you think it should be lowered, which may allow more to enter. I am trying to balance cost with participate vs prize etc here and hopefully pulling a profit to put back into the site next season etc (Being 100% honest and upfront here)

Also I know that not many liked last years tipping comp format. So I want to get your thoughts on a new format, and ASAP as I need to start and finish coding it before the season kicks off.

I was thinking of still having a pick the score / margin / winner competition with bonus rounds at random intervals in the year.

So pretty similar to last year, just better presented and written.

But I would welcome your thoughts again.

Dan

yeah count me in too
there are plenty of online tipping comps that you can use too
Oztips is pretty good as you can manage it the way you want with whatever rules you decide

I will be in.  I reckon a really good feature is two or three weeks during the year in which you get a chance to get double points. It adds interest and makes you look at the draw for weeks that might be easier to pick.

I am with Mata and Matt on the 1 pont for a straight win thingy!!

I'm in.

$20 is very,very  fair imo. I can't see anyone having a problem with it. I pay more for social tipping comps tbh.

hmm I may up it a bit then it seems people are willing to pay a bit more.

I am thinking I may run it through ozTips or another site, to save us having to run it, that way it's fair as we don't control it all etc.

Dan

$20 bucks is way too much :-*

1 point for correct pick, 5 points for picking a draw(zero otherwise) and a bonus point for picking the round except for split round.

I'm in whatever you decide.

I used to run a comp when I was at the steelworks a long time ago and it ran as follows
°$2 a week (all monies to be paid by round 10)
°$20 a week of the monies is paid as weekly prize
(eg;$52 x say 20 entrants =$1040 ) to the highest LONE tipster of the round , if there is more than 1 highest tipster the weekly prize will jackpot till there is
°2 points - correct  tip
°0 points - wrong tip
°5 points - selected draw ()

Happy to pay $20. Also prefer a simple pick the winners format, none of this pick the margins, pick the score rubbish. Happy for bonus point or two for picking round. Can testify that the OzTips site is pretty easy to use and set up comps on. You just need to be a nazi about getting the money out of people by a certain round, if they don't pay they are out.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2