2008 Silvertails Awards

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
The Matabele Awards were birthed at a time when the Manly Warringah Club was at its lowest point, and they were once a black celebration of mediocrity.

So approaching the awards in a year where Manly strode like a colossus across the Premiership landscape and finished the year with a record breaking Grand Final winning margin, it may seem difficult to come up with Awards that might do justice to the original intent of the Matabele Awards.

But never fear………..

The Fluffy/Jye Mullane Award for every contribution being total crap goes to Deadwood.  It’s a huge shame that he will no longer be with us next year as he is almost our last connection to the dark days and he serves as a reminder of what happens when complacency is tolerated.  However, he shall live on in memory next year by having his own Award named in his honour.  Let’s hope he finds a good pub to frequent in Wagga.

The Nutzcraw Award for howler of the year goes to Wolfman Williams.  Obviously I couldn’t resist the play on words, but he also made a terrible error in his first few minutes of First Grade at Suncorp Stadium that lead to Brisbane’s opening try.  Matabele was sitting just behind him and told him to keep his chin up and he didn’t make another mistake all year.  If only the rest of you would be so quick to take my advice.

The Daniel Hewes/Michael Monaghan Award for “it’s all about me” goes to Travis Burns.  In a year where Manly showed a Champion Team can beat a Team of Champions, let’s not forget Burns going off to supposedly greener pastures in Townsville to “play more regular first grade” only to languish in the Queensland Cup while the Cowboys finished 15th.  Let’s hope he’s having fun pissing that larger pay cheque up against a wall.

The Wheel Award for continued services to the casualty ward of the local hospital goes to Steve Matai who played the entire second half of the year totally busted and still managed to come up out of the line like a heat seeking missile and keep leaving gaps for opposition small men.  It’s just that he’s now learned to hit before they pass or step.

The Canteen Worker Award for the statement of the bloody obvious goes to the selectors who nominated Brent Kite for the Clive Churchill medal.  They were really in keeping with the spirit of the flip flop Award when one considers some of them were probably responsible for the shock omission of Kite from the NSW side that gifted Queensland the Origin series.

The Flip look at me look at me Award is once again retained by Anthony Watmough who has now won it for six seasons in succession.   Football would just not be the same without blue arsed committing several calamities a game.  It’s as well Watmough retains this award as this year saw him lose two others that were perennially his.  The Dumbest Penalty giver award in the NRL went to Paul Gallen and his bruise brother Greg Budgie wins the community service award for his services to violence against women.

The Manly Backer Courage Under Fire Award goes to Adam Cuthbertson.  It must surely be one of the worst of life’s experiences to be 18th man for a Grand Final winning side, but Cuthbo proved to be a team man to the end and was allowed to join the post-match celebrations as well he should.  I’m sure he’ll play a starring role in the 2009 victory.

*drum roll*

The Matabele Award for Player of the Year goes to Matthew Ballin.  No doubt it will be a controversial selection for some of the chumps out there, but consider the doomsayers who said Manly were done for without Moanaghan whereas I have always maintained he cost us the 2007 Premiership.  It is so nice to be vindicated, particularly when he iced it with the critical opening try in the Grand Final.

*and in a late surprise*

The Beaver Award for passing the baton on to best emerging talent goes to silvertails poster DSM5.  As I start passing into dotage if anyone is going to assume the much needed mantle of maintaining the rage that I’ve so successfully handled for eons it will be DSM5.

Surprised you didnt award the "look at me" and "its all about me" awards to yourself :)

Excellent write up & sums up the season well, good to see to have had one last snipe @ Monas.

What a year from DSM though!!!!!!!!!

I'll have to get a pic of Cuthbo and have installed a bronze plaque heralding this significant award :)

There is also the Tookey Banker Award for owning half of the northern beaches which goes to Beaver for the tenth year in a row. In the year of the Ox this may also be a forgone conclusion in 2009.

And the Cliffy GC and Matabele Award for lovers of fine pizza goes to Gorgeous George who was missing this year due to a bandaid problem.

ManlyBacker link said:
And the Cliffy GC and Matabele Award for lovers of fine pizza goes to Gorgeous George who was missing this year due to a bandaid problem.
GOLD
but wat the **** was he doing at dominos Menai are the sharks signing him hahaah

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4