2006 5/8's - where would YOU rate Monaghan?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Probably Ricky Stuarts ability to "lift & improve" his team towards the end of the season. The opposite to what Des Hasler has done.

11 from 13 - I still can't get over it.

BRISBANE lost 6 on the trot, and even the great coaches are admitting maybe the team should take a different direction. Bennett has said maybe this is the best thing !!

Our golden boy is untouchable.

J. Monaghan only scored 3 of his 9 tries after round 13. To say he has improved since leaving Canberra is wrong. He had a good start to 2004, then was average the second half of the season and ever since.

Who would you have on our wing SilenBob - Joel Monaghan or Paul Stephenson?

Probably Ricky Stuarts ability to \"lift & improve\" his team towards the end of the season. The opposite to what Des Hasler has done.

11 from 13 - I still can't get over it.

BRISBANE lost 6 on the trot, and even the great coaches are admitting maybe the team should take a different direction. Bennett has said maybe this is the best thing !!

Our golden boy is untouchable.

Why are you comparing us to the Roosters :doh: at the end of the day we finished above them on the ladder and look at their roster compared to ours.

Maybe you should get over it and see what next season brings when we have a higher quality roster.

I am sure Des will make changes and learn from his mistakes this season. I dont expect the club to come out in the media and announce changes need to be made or the coach is under pressure etc etc, all these things should occur behind closed doors. I am sure things would be discussed with any changes being put in place for next season.

I also believe Des is far from untouchable, if we fail next season he will be under enormous pressure. I also believe he already is, I am just glad it is not being printed in the media everyday.

Who would you have on our wing SilenBob - Joel Monaghan or Paul Stephenson?

What has that go to do with anything? Who said anything about Stephenson?

You said
You'll not his form got a hell of a lot better when he started playing for The Roosters.

and Daniel followed it up with
the start of the year was terrible, but toward the end he started to fire and scored most of those tries in the back end of the season

I was just refuting both these small points. Joel Monaghans form has been average since he signed the dotted line with the Roosters. Whether or not he is better than Stephenson has nothing to do with his average form.

i like Monas passion for winning - don't care if he is in the no 9 or 6 as long as he is in the side - hopefully his spot is determined by the great form of either ballin or burns or both.

i think monas has been misquoted alot this season - but looking at his starts he has a lot of try assists, not a bad kicking game (not perfect) and rarely misses a tackle. he will prove valuable once some pressure is taken off him and he can concentrate on the things he does well ie taking the ball to the line and either running or slipping a nice short pass off his hip.

Snoz undetakes to attain the holy grail, and sets off through the great unknown, to finally make his way through the shores of the Silvertails. Welcome mate.

Why does everyone assume that if he moves to 5/8 that the "pressure" will magically disappear. Is it an unwritten rule that 5/8ths don't get tackled or something ?

The only pressure that a move to 5/8 will diminish, is the pressure to be the chief playmaker every set. No doubt this will be a relief in some ways and may see an improvement in his game. However it will not see a reduction in the amount of defensive pressure he will be subjected to, and for mine this is his weakness. His decision making and passing game at the line is hit and miss at best, this will not change whether he is wearing 7 or 6 on his back. You don't suddenly acquire time and vision just because you are one pass further off the ruck (OK you may get a second or two of literal time, but i was talking more in terms of "time" to assess and perform). Also you have to remember that a lot of times you will have an option either side of the ruck (Orford one way, 5/8th the other) so he will be still getting the ball first pass.

Can't see him being any better at 5/8 but I guess we won't know till next season now.

towards the end of the season he was covering both sides of the ruck - literally running from side to side. i ask the question - how do you sum up the defensive line when you are going side to side like that ?

pressure will be reduced as i doubt that he will have the kicking duties in 2006.

other benefits is that he can play on the side the is his strength therefore reduce hit & miss passing.

Has has an inability to past to the right.

towards the end of the season he was covering both sides of the ruck - literally running from side to side. i ask the question - how do you sum up the defensive line when you are going side to side like that ?

This is exactly the sort of headless chook play that had me pulling my hair out. The more I think about it post season, the more it makes me wonder who was at fault. Our attack was directionless at times and it seemed like no one knew what the plan (if any) was. Is this a reflection on Monas ability to drive the attack and organise the play, or is it a reflection of the quality of coaching that the side is receiving. May be a bit of both, but we all know that Orford can orchestrate an attacking raid, so our performance in this area next year will be a big indication of who or what was at fault this year.

guess with only one play maker in the team they had to disguise things as best they could - couldn't afford to be running oneside all day and couldn't afford to let the defence know they were coming down a particular side.

my view of monas is that he is solid enough to hold a first grade spot - his lack of talent is balanced by his passion - ie first person on a kick chase & will to get to the line when he goes on his own

I hope he is in the side for 2006 as I don't think 2005 was a clear indication of his value.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6