2 years for Russell Packer

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

bones

Bones Knows
Packer has received two years gaol for an assault in Sydney last year which left his victim with a fractured eye socket.

Could have been worse. He could have been sentenced to play for Parramatta for the next two years.

Would have messed himself when the sentence was handed down.

No priors, and he get's sent up for two years.

I don't disagree but hope that the same sort of thing is dished out to all violent offenders.

Apparently he stomped on the blokes head while he was on the ground. Two years, spot on.

tuff justice compared to what the other sh1theads have got.....I think it was just the wrong week for him to appear....but if that's the new law, hope they stick to it

This is where the justice system in this country is wrong. While I agree that Packer deserves punishment for what he did, isn't two years in gaol for a first offence a bit excessive? There are repeat offenders out there who get off or lighter sentences for doing worse than what he did.

I thought this was very harsh until I read the details of what he did. However the guy that killed Thomas Kelly only got 4 years. When you compare that sentence to Packers it seems Packer was very hard done by, in reality Kelly's killer should have got 10 years.

Can't believe NRL.com running a story "Packer to appeal sentence".

He isn't a NRL registered player so why are they trashing the NRL brand by even mentioning this story at all, let alone that he is appealing it? Why is NRL.com telling the world he is appealing the sentence? Is that the NRL website's job? Maybe a NRL story supporting the NSW justice system & police plus condemning street violence & supporting its victims would have been more appropriate than "Packer to appeal sentence". The story itself says the NRL won't make comment, but then NRL.com does anyway!

http://www.nrl.com/packer-to-appeal-sentence/tabid/10874/newsid/75841/default.aspx

NRL chief operating officer Jim Doyle said that as Packer is not currently a registered NRL player it would not be appropriate for the NRL to make further comment on the matter.

So if he would have stayed in NZ instead of chasing big dollars he could possibly not in this position
Well done to magistrate Grogan I hope any and all appeals fail and fellow magistrates follow this sentence

Blake Furguson must be ****ting now lol

The NRL have info on Packer not known to the average punter, hence them not registering his contract with the Knights months ago.

He is bound to get that sentence reviewed on appeal. Seems manifestly inconsistent with normal practice for this type of offence.

Garts said:
I thought this was very harsh until I read the details of what he did. However the guy that killed Thomas Kelly only got 4 years. When you compare that sentence to Packers it seems Packer was very hard done by, in reality Kelly's killer should have got 10 years.

Correct. If what packer did as reported got two years every day of the week then it is a warranted sentence. But when a grub who killed Thomas Kelly for no reason only gets four years the discrepancy is disgusting.

If someone knocked my son out and then stomped on his head I would agree with two years in gaol. I think that packer is harshly done by like the first guy who got done DUI would have felt when this first came in.

Let's face it it's drugs that allow these blokes to get so drunk and still agitated. It's ice and ecstasy and coke and roids and it's time people realised it. If you are still out at four in the morning you are either just turned eighteen or chemically enhanced.

This is why coppers are so sick of it.

Ask the nurses in ER about the forty five kilo chicks coming in off their heads that take four security guards to hold them down.

Not implying that packer was anything but drunk. But even red bull and vodka keeps drunks alert and in highly strung young men makes trouble. The issue is this culture of going on with it even after someone is knocked to the ground.

Again if you stomp on someone's head after you have knocked them out then you are a gutless coward and if your female partner is in court to show support for you whilst you defend yourself against these indefensible actions then god help you all.

You will meet a few Darren Lockyer fans in the locker who will remember that test late in 2011.

Sad thing is the bloke was a good player.

Garts said:
The unfortunate death of Kelly was manslaughter, as he died from hitting his head on the pavement, after a single blow.
Packer was charged with assault after a sustained attack. He was very lucky that the head stomp did not result in death.

I also understand why his partner, the mother of two young children would support him in court. They now are without financial support, and away from their extended family in NZ :(

The level of violence that is now commonplace is the real worry. Maybe the Judiciary is listening to Society and actually jailing these perpetrators to discourage a free for all every weekend :cool:

HappilyManly said:
Garts said:
The unfortunate death of Kelly was manslaughter, as he died from hitting his head on the pavement, after a single blow.
Packer was charged with assault after a sustained attack. He was very lucky that the head stomp did not result in death.

I also understand why his partner, the mother of two young children would support him in court. They now are without financial support, and away from their extended family in NZ :(

The level of violence that is now commonplace is the real worry. Maybe the Judiciary is listening to Society and actually jailing these perpetrators to discourage a free for all every weekend :cool:

i hate that that can be an excuse to escape a murder charge, if he wasn't punched he wouldn't have fallen & hit his head on the pavement.

...The unfortunate death of Kelly was manslaughter, as he died from hitting his head on the pavement, after a single blow.

castle eagle said:
i hate that that can be an excuse to escape a murder charge, if he wasn't punched he wouldn't have fallen & hit his head on the pavement.

Yup, oh I just pulled the trigger....it was the bullet that went through him that's at fault.

The Law of the land is subjective and ultimately inconsistent. But intent is a huge component.

I always thought that any offence committed under the influence of alcohol, drugs or even prescribed drugs, should carry a loading. As you are aware that they affect you and your judgement.

But these matters are ultimately always subjective so the one party will always feel aggrieved :cool:

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7