2 Refs from next season

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DUFFMAN

Bencher
The NRL will have 2 refs on the field from next season

The control ref handles the game much as he does now

The assist ref is in the pocket behind the attacking teams ruck, acting as as extra eyes and ears for the control ref

The assist ref cant issue penalties, but can inform the control ref of infringements

The control  and assist refs can swap roles throughout the game following a breakdown

Sounds like another set of blind eyes on the field.  In my humble opinion, forward passes are the big blot on the game at the moment, especially in the set before a try is scored.  If two refs can rub this out of the game, where currently the ref, two line runners and the video ref can't, then it'll be good.  I just think it'll be confusing, especially if the second one stands behind the ruck.  I can see many ball runners heading his way.  The main reason for the change, it seems to my reading, is the stress put on ref's bodies.  I've never heard of this as a problem in rugby, soccer or hockey. A red herring perhaps?   

DSM5 link said:
I just think it'll be confusing, especially if the second one stands behind the ruck.  I can see many ball runners heading his way.    

When a team is in attack all they see is the usual referee in his usual position. The second referee is standing BEHIND the play the ball looking for indescretions

It will be interesting to see how it works. He is going to need too stand a fair way back one would assume. Ball runners are usually starting 5-10 metres behind the ruck. Ref will probably need to be 10-15 metres away. Can you actually get a good enough view from that distance?

Timne will tell I guess

clontaago link said:
It will be interesting to see how it works. He is going to need too stand a fair way back one would assume. Ball runners are usually starting 5-10 metres behind the ruck. Ref will probably need to be 10-15 metres away. Can you actually get a good enough view from that distance?

Timne will tell I guess

from what i have seen in the under 20 games. The 2nd ref looks real close at the tackles for grapples/drop balls/strips then retreats to around 5 metres behind the dummy half where in theory no runners would be coming from.

Anyway, it seemed to work ok in the junior games and the players said that they didn't notice he was out there when they were in attack.

The main area of concern is the interpretations between the refs when they switch roles. Time will tell i guess

Hopefully the forward pass will be a thing of the past.  The memory of two forward passes on the way to a try when the Storm beat us at Brooky really pizzed me off. 

DVS Matt link said:
[quote author=clontaago link=topic=178896.msg202876#msg202876 date=1226536393]

Timne will tell I guess

from what i have seen in the under 20 games. The 2nd ref looks real close at the tackles for grapples/drop balls/strips then retreats to around 5 metres behind the dummy half where in theory no runners would be coming from.

[/quote]

whats chocs favourite angle?

running from openside to blind side behind the dummy half
so the theory is not sound. these guys must not watch the game

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8