1995-97, 2007-08 or 2011-12 team?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

simon_eagle

Reserve Grader
For me, the 1995-97 team was immense and so well-drilled. Defencelessly the strongest (and that is saying something), but what about attacking flare? Natural match-winners? Team spirit? Which team did you enjoy watching the most?

Did we not go 17 unbeaten from 1995-1996? Unbelievable when you look back. Having said this, the footy that we played last season and so far this season has been the most enjoyable I've watched. I think the squad that we have now is very, very tight-knit and that goes along way.

In my opinion, Killer and the two Stewart's would be instant starters in the 1995-97 teams, but not sure about any others of our current crop? Perhaps Matai or Robertson? Kite-2008 form maybe?

I'd give Ballin a bench spot in the 1995-97 teams.

I think Watmough would of been an instant starter, you talk about the tight knit team, Having heard Watmoughs post match speeches yesterday and his love for manly I think he brings alot of morale and toughness to this side and it's very noticeable when he is missing.

I love Choc and his statements regarding Stuart goes to show how he is maturing as a person, but would he replace Daniel Gartner for the other second-row spot? Definitely on the bench.

Fluffy said:
i think beaver would have been in the side in either of the 90's or 2008 teams

I thought it went without saying, because he was part of all of those teams.

IMO the back row of Menzies, Kosef and Gartner was the best I've seen. Menzies, Watmough and Stewart comes an extremely close second.
Would Snake be a walk up start in front of Ridge? They are/were both exceptional talents and it would be hard to let go of Ridge's kicking ability considering he shad so many other qualities he shared with snake (huge attacking ability and strong defense and organisation).
Killer would take a centre spot for sure, he's probably about the best centre to ever wear the maroon and white.
On the wings, there are some good options, Hoppa (jnr and snr), Robbo, Hancock, the Wolf. I'd probably take Robbo and Hoppa jnr.
Toovey and Cliffy or DCE and Foz? Ordford and Lyon certainly isn't the best.

Overall, I'd take the 1995-97 sides (keeping in mind 1995 to 1997 was quite different with blokes like Ridge and Roberts going to Sewer league and Ha$ler heading west).

For beers and giggles

1 Brett Stewart
2 John hopoate
3 Jamie Lyon
4 Craig Innes
5 Michael Robertson
6 Cliff Lyons
7 toovey
8 mark Carroll
9 Matt Ballin
10 David Gillespie
11 Steve Menzies
12 Anthony Watmough
13 Glenn Stewart

14 nik kosef
15 Brent kite
16 Jason King
17 Danny Garenter

The 95-97 team was rightly known for its insane defence, but they sure could score a try or five when needed!
For what it's worth:
1. Stewart
2. J.Hopoate
3. Lyon
4. Hill
5. Robertson
6. Lyons
7. Toovey
8. Carroll
9. Ballin
10. Gillespie
11. Kosef
12. Beaver
13. Stewart
Res: Watmough, Gartner, King, Hasler
Don't feel Foz & DCE have done enough yet to get in the above.

simon_eagle said:
For me, the 1995-97 team was immense and so well-drilled. Defencelessly the strongest (and that is saying something), but what about attacking flare? Natural match-winners? Team spirit? Which team did you enjoy watching the most?

Did we not go 17 unbeaten from 1995-1996? Unbelievable when you look back. Having said this, the footy that we played last season and so far this season has been the most enjoyable I've watched. I think the squad that we have now is very, very tight-knit and that goes along way.

In my opinion, Killer and the two Stewart's would be instant starters in the 1995-97 teams, but not sure about any others of our current crop? Perhaps Matai or Robertson? Kite-2008 form maybe?

We won the first 15 rounds in 1995 before losing to the Roosters at Brookvale, I think this might have been the game were Gus threatened to take the team from the field.

The 1995 Manly side has the best winning percentage of all Manly sides (20 wins from 22 rounds).

Crusher_Cleal said:
The 95-97 team was rightly known for its insane defence, but they sure could score a try or five when needed!
For what it's worth:
1. Stewart
2. J.Hopoate
3. Lyon
4. Hill
5. Robertson
6. Lyons
7. Toovey
8. Carroll
9. Ballin
10. Gillespie
11. Kosef
12. Beaver
13. Stewart

I'd go with Chris Bailey on the bench over Hasler

Napper said:
Crusher_Cleal said:
For what it's worth:
1. Stewart
2. J.Hopoate
3. Lyon
4. Hill
5. Robertson
6. Lyons
7. Toovey
8. Carroll
9. Ballin
10. Gillespie
11. Kosef
12. Beaver
13. Stewart

Come on ! Jye Mullane lol

btw, 11-12 team and the 95-97 team feel VERY alike: an illustrious backrow, strong defending/attacking centre combo, and a dominant half.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Napper said:
Crusher_Cleal said:
For what it's worth:
1. Stewart
2. J.Hopoate
3. Lyon
4. Hill
5. Robertson
6. Lyons
7. Toovey
8. Carroll
9. Ballin
10. Gillespie
11. Kosef
12. Beaver
13. Stewart

Needs more Michael Witt

Also Elsegood > Hoppa

Ian roberts has to be in it somewhere, and brett and ridgey are just so good, one of them has to be on the wing. They are better than any other wingers we had. If kosef had better knees he would have been in the best backrowers of all time. He was really good ball player, he was a great origin player for NSW also. I would have choc, kosef and glen all ahead of beaver in the back row based on ability

And jim sedaris was a good player too, very hard to leave out even though ballin is a champ

Jimmy Jazz said:
simon_eagle said:

We won the first 15 rounds in 1995 before losing to the Roosters at Brookvale, I think this might have been the game were Gus threatened to take the team from the field.

The 1995 Manly side has the best winning percentage of all Manly sides (20 wins from 22 rounds).

Thanks for that. The two or three wins at the end of the 1996 season made it 18 or something? Perhaps only St George or Souths have a winning streak as good as that. I like your username as well, Jimmy Jazz.. aka The Clash!

The Eagle said:
Berkeley_Eagle said:
Napper said:
Crusher_Cleal said:
For what it's worth:
1. Stewart
2. J.Hopoate
3. Lyon
4. Hill
5. Robertson
6. Lyons
7. Toovey
8. Carroll
9. Ballin
10. Gillespie
11. Kosef
12. Beaver
13. Stewart

Needs more Michael Witt

Also Elsegood > Hoppa

Hoppa Jnr > Hoppa

simon_eagle said:
Jimmy Jazz said:
simon_eagle said:

Thanks for that. The two or three wins at the end of the 1996 season made it 18 or something? Perhaps only St George or Souths have a winning streak as good as that. I like your username as well, Jimmy Jazz.. aka The Clash!

Yes Simon, first name Jim so can't go past Jimmy Jazz from one of the greatest albums of all time - London Calling.

1. Stewart (only gets the nod because Lyon can take kicking duties)
2. Hoppa Jnr
3. Lyon
4. Matai (hard to go past Hill but Matai ticks all the boxes)
5. Robbo
6. Lyons
7. Toovey
8. Carroll
9. Ballin
10. Gillespe
11. Menzies
12. Watmough
13. Kosef

14. Roberts
15. Stewart
16. King
17. Hasler (dare I utter his name? he does balance the bench though)

At their respective peaks, this team would be near unstoppable.

There aren't many clubs that can have as good a topic like this one can!
The every decade Sea Eagles!!! pretty bloody good!
Some poor clubs haven't even won since the internet, computers or colour tv's were invented.
I think the current team would give the 95-97 team a big shake!

Who would you all rate a better team. 08 or 11? Most players played in both but who would you rather playing for your life?

08, more experienced and battle hardened, Stewart pre knee injuries good enough to keep Slater at bay, Beaver in the side as well

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2