• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

silvertail

Reserve Grader
Was, in my opinion, the toughest of our semi final campaigns. Against all odds - injured, fatigued, comebacks, a midweek semi replay after a draw, a mid week grand final after a draw and we win the title. I never thought that we would win a GF again with that level of adversity to overcome.

He we go again .. Strap in and enjoy the ride. Yeaaah baby ... Go Manly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

silvertail said:
Was, in my opinion, the toughest of our semi final campaigns. Against all odds - injured, fatigued, comebacks, a midweek semi replay after a draw, a mid week grand final after a draw and we win the title. I never thought that we would win a GF again with that level of adversity to overcome.

He we go again .. Strap in and enjoy the ride. Yeaaah baby ... Go Manly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In 78 we played 6 semis in 25 days. It was the gutsiest display ever.

Andy1972
Manly Forever.

The 1978 series was one of the most exciting for me as a fan.

I remember we won the last home and away game at the old sports ground against Easts. If we had lost that match we may have missed the finals, I remember Graham Eadie fielding a bomb and then sprinting 100 meters to score a try, that was a great memory.

We then played the sharks in the 2 v 3 ranked semi. We were humbled 17-12 and everyone wrote us off.

Then we played the whingers in the knock out semi, In game one, down 13-3 and going no where, we got off the canvass and forced a draw. A runaway try near the end getting us level.

The replay I personally remember, a game on a Wednesday afternoon, train strike and 42,000 people trying to get to the game during a school holiday, again terrible start, down 11-2 Ray mongrel Price sent off for punching my hero Eadie and old John Gray send off for us elbowing one of their players.

My memory of that day is 2 towering bombs and Peter Sterling at fullback for them, the rest is history, even if one was from a seventh tackle, lol.

The we beat the minor premiers Wests in the preliminary final, where we had so many wounded troops, It was one of the gutsiest wins ive ever seen from Manly,

The grand final against the fishies was a bit of a non event, a draw was a fair result and both teams had their chances. I will never forget the towering bomb from Terry Randall and Tom Mooney scoring the try.

The replay was all Manly, Graham Eadie just carved them up all day. That was one of the best days of my life. I could not get to the game as they scheduled it for a Tuesday afternoon.

My best memory of that finals campaign was the deafening noise coming from the old Sheridan stand where our brilliant fans really helped the team.

For me that will always be our greatest team, This current team has a chance to do that, they have a similar spirit and brilliant players.

As an 11 year old at the time, I sealed my love for this club. It was a great time for Manly.

I was only 3 at the time, so missed it ;)

But my parents always talked about that as the greatest gutsiest of final series, these are the things that led to me being the fan I am today. That and growing up on the northern beaches, and Wombat was one of my old man's best mates too :)

Let's bring this trophy home this year. No matter what they stack up against us.

GO MANLY!!!1!!1!!!

You're looking through rose coloured glasses.
We're a scumbag club who's always done it easy. We just buy players if we need them and have always had the refs & administration in our pockets.
There's no soul in the club because our silvertail supporters have never done a bloody day of work in their lives.
At least that's what I've heard.

Was there for the first GF game and remember the massive fruit fight down in front of the Bradman stand where we were sitting. It was a pretty dour game not much action.
I was 13 and wasn't allowed to skip school and go to the replay game. We were spewing. Got home and watched it on TV and we smashed them. Fancy putting it on a weekday the idiots. They should've put it on the following weekend. Greatest GF victory ever against all odds. Imagine how much it would have been talked about if it was Saints,Dogs,Parra,Tigers etc instead of Manly. Hardly ever mentioned ****ing media wankers.

sheridanstand78 said:
My best memory of that finals campaign was the deafening noise coming from the old Sheridan stand where our brilliant fans really helped the team.

For me that will always be our greatest team, This current team has a chance to do that, they have a similar spirit and brilliant players.

As an 11 year old at the time, I sealed my love for this club. It was a great time for Manly.

I was 14 at the time and remember the noise and shaking in that old Sheridan Stand (aprox where Clive Churchill stand is now). I was at most of the finals except the two mid week games.

That Randall bomb was great, it happened right in front of me and my schoolmate. When I slow mo the replay of it on my DVD I can just make out me and my mate jumping up as Mooney scores the try. Wombat was my hero and was chuffed early the next year to catch one of his penalty kicks for touch in a game against Wests.

The games were tough and that series was I believe Manly's finest hour.

78 was the first NSWRL finals series I actually got to watch on telly. That was the year I fell in love with the Sea Eagles.

G.Eadie was my hero.

Duff said:
There's no soul in the club because our silvertail supporters have never done a bloody day of work in their lives.

I was at the GF draw with Cronulla, but couldn't make the mid-week replay because of WORK.

My primary school teacher let me wear my Manly jersey to school the next day, much to the displeasure of one of the other teachers at the time (Wayne Smith-the magpies fullback!):p

Had moved to Adelaide in '78 so missed the entire season. That was tough. Manly struggled through the season, but my dad wrote to me after seeing Manly smash Easts in the last round and told me that Manly gave Easts a real football lesson that day. I smelled by the way he wrote it that something special was in the air. He had that sixth sense when it came to footy.

My footy season in Adelaide finished the same weekend as the ARL grand final, and I moved back to Sydney as soon as my footy season finished. So I was spitting chips that I'd missed the grand final by the finest of margins.

Watched the GF on TV in Adelaide, already packed up and ready to drive home to Sydney that same night. I was probably the only person in Australia, or the Universe, who was ecstatic over the GF draw with the Sharkies. Drove the trip home on adrenalin. Was there in person to watch Manly smash the Sharkies 16-0 with my mates and dad in the GF replay at the SCG.

Dream of dreams.

The '78 finals series still sends a shiver down my spine. Great side with heaps of talent and guts. Wombat was sensational so was Alan Thompson, Randall and Krillich. If I remember correctly Harvey was moved to the front row for the last couple of matches and he played very well.

I was 2 so I don't remember it but my old an and mum used to tell me about it and how we got our first colour television to watch it. 1978 would be the our gutiest ever finals campaign but I think 2008 has to be our most dominate.
240 minutes of football over 100 points for and 12 points against.

Of what i saw last week our 2011 team played with the same passion as the 1978 winning side.

The Who said:
Duff said:

I was at the GF draw with Cronulla, but couldn't make the mid-week replay because of WORK.

What, as a caviar taster? Bloody silvertails. All the Wests supporters were out diggin' 'oles at six in the mornin'.

Never forget the replay, we had an all day sports carnival that had been rescheduled to the Tuesday because of rain the previous week.

About 10 minutes before the match was to kickoff the principal came over to me and called be aside. He said something along the lines of

"son, how long would it take you to get home from here"

to which I replied "about 10 minutes"

he said "well you best scramble and dont tell anyone I let you go"

The best school teacher I had ever seen. I was never out of a Manly jersey that year, we were allowed to wear them on sports day.

bob dylan said:
Never forget the replay, we had an all day sports carnival that had been rescheduled to the Tuesday because of rain the previous week.

About 10 minutes before the match was to kickoff the principal came over to me and called be aside. He said something along the lines of

"son, how long would it take you to get home from here"

to which I replied "about 10 minutes"

he said "well you best scramble and dont tell anyone I let you go"

The best school teacher I had ever seen. I was never out of a Manly jersey that year, we were allowed to wear them on sports day.
Love it what an awesome story.

BOZO said:
Of what i saw last week our 2011 team played with the same passion as the 1978 winning side.

Whenever Manly plays as a Team, they overcome all odds.
Whilst everyone not at the game bleats about the '5 on 1',those of us with the full frame of the second biff were so proud that the Boys protected Glenn - regardless of the ire of Des etc:heart:

Manly hold all the records in the Grand Finals - toughest on the field and on the scoreboard by holding the opposition to zero in two.

Looking forward to Manly writing another page in GF history in 2011:D

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8