1500 Game Best Team

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hi Wombat, 35 mate. Been supporting the team since I was 10 (so really cannot comment on a few of those past players) 1990 was when I began to follow the eagles and obviously Tooves just started and Cliffy, Hasler were there back then. I was just making a point Tooves seems to be everyone's first pick (great player yes, but not an all time legend compared to Johns, Lewis, Sterlo, Thurston, etc)

Had a hard time picking the rest though as there are a few immortalst a in that team and had a host of sensational outside backs and quality forwards and many great players couldn't make the cut!
Great post mate. I came in a little earlier, but your pretty bang on with your opinion. Johnny Gibbs could have been anything barring some injuries. Still a bloody legend. As hard as Tooves was, he was also a champion halfback.
Phil Blake-legend, most exciting player for Manly I have EVER seen.
It's great to be a supporter of this great club mate...Cherish it!

Roy Bull should be in every starting lineup.

And less flashy wingers like Mooney, Hancock and Robertson gave Manly far greater service, over longer Manly careers, than the great Ken Irvine or the oft-injured Boustead.

Eadie vs Stewart. There is no comparison. Eadie was the dominant fullback in the competition, from late in Langlands' career in the mid-70s, until Eadie himself retired from the NSWRL in 1983. Even after Eadie's representative career ended (apart from the first SOO game) due to his decision not to tour NZ in 1980, no one would suggest that any of his rival fullbacks was his equal.

On the other hand, Stewart has never been unquestionably the best fullback in the game during his career, with his only international appearance (as opposed to 20 odd full internationals for Eadie - all at fullback) being on the wing.

Last edited:
How about an alternate Manly team.....and this lot were just about as good IMO

FB - Matthew Ridge
WG - Michael Robertson
CE - Russel Gartner
CE - Terry Hill
WG - Kerry Boustead
FE - Ian Martin
HB - Dennis Ward
PR - Bill Hamilton
HK - Fred Jones (c)
PR - Kevin Ward
SR - Phil Lowe
SR - Daniel Gartner
LK - Nik Kosef

Res - Ron Gibbs, Paul Vautin, Bill Bradstreet, Gordon Willoughby

Strange, one players name I have not yet seen is Roy Bull.

I didn't click on dean Ritchie's team, but can anyone tell me whether he chose Zorba?

Funny you should mention that. I made a comment on the clubs facebook page saying I was surprised Zorba didn't make it, after receiving a few likes it was removed. Not sure why considering some of the other more colourful language in the comments for that article, I can only assume we have found out what Zorba is actually doing now. He is in charge of the clubs facebook account! And people said he was too old school to be our media manager!

Roy Bull should be in every starting lineup.

And less flashy wingers like Mooney, Hancock and Robertson gave Manly far greater service, over longer Manly careers, than the great Ken Irvine or the oft-injured Boustead.

Eadie vs Stewart. There is no comparison. Eadie was the dominant fullback in the competition, from late in Langlands career in the mid-70s, until Eadie himself retired from the NSWRL in 1983. Even after Eadie's representative career ended (apart from the first SOO game) due to his decision not to tour NZ in 1980, no one would suggest that any of his rival fullbacks was his equal.

On the other hand, Stewart has never been unquestionably the best fullback in the game during his career, with his only international appearance (as opposed to 20 odd full internationals for Eadie - all at fullback) being on the wing.
Your mate Zorba's team :)

Peter ‘Zorba’ Peters has named his best ever Manly Warringah Sea Eagles team as part of the ‘1500 game’ milestone celebrations.

‘Zorba’ has enjoyed a long and distinguished career with the Sea Eagles as a player (73 games), administrator,and is a current Board director. He has also enjoyed a very successful career in the media as a journalist and commentator.

1 Brett Stewart

2 Tom Mooney

3 Jamie Lyon

4 Bob Fulton

5 Ken Irvine

6 Cliff Lyons

7 Geoff Toovey

8 John O'Neill

9 Max Krilich

10 Roy Bull

11 Steve Menzies

12 Ben Kennedy

13 MalcolmReilly

Interchange

14 Ray Branighan

15 Terry Randall

16 Des Hasler

17 Glenn Stewart

I always feel a bit funny about including Irvine, just because he played most of his career for the Bears.

I always feel a bit funny about including Irvine, just because he played most of his career for the Bears.

Yeh it'd be interesting to see the sides if they applied a 100 game qualification criteria for instance.

Got to agree with Simon re Manly's halves through history. We've had some good ones, but I don't think we've ever had one that would be considered the best of their era. If DCE backflips, that will change. IMO, the positions we've always had close to, if not the best is fullback and hooker.

I go back as far as the early 80's, but have read up on the history of the club, so some of my team are in there on reputation rather than my own observations, so here goes:

1 Graham Eadie
2 Ken Irvine
3 Bob Fulton (c/c)
4 Jamie Lyon
5 Michael O'Conner
6 Cliff Lyons
7 Geoff Toovey
8 Roy Bull
9 Max Krilich
10 John O'Neill
11 Steve Menzies
12 Terry Randall
13 Mal Reilly

14 Brett Stewart
15 Des Hasler
16 Noel Cleal
17 Kevin Ward

Manager: Ken Arthurson

A couple of points. I've tried to pick players in the positions played, so no Snake on the wing as he's never played there. Not saying he couldn't though. O'Conner never played wing for Manly but played there often for NSW/Aus so I've picked him there on that basis. I've picked who I believe were the best in each position, then the reserves as the best four players outside the starting 13 regardless of position, ie not following an actual selection formula od say one utility and three props.

Easy!

BOOM...check it.

1. B. Reeves
2. A. Frew
3. D. Vaealiki
4. Nick Bradley-Qalilawa
5. T-Rex
6. J. Mullane
7. A. Brown
8. G.Winter
9. S. Fulton
10.D. Durdevic
11. J. Hasson
12. G. Wooden
13. C. Bailey
---------------------
14. B. Kimmorley
15. P. Moorwood
16. I. Donnelly
17. P. Adamson
----------------------
Coach: Peter Sharp

Graeme Hughes has named his best ever Manly Warringah Sea Eagles team as part of the ‘1500 game’ milestone celebrations.

A former first grade player, Hughes has enjoyed a long and successful career in rugby league media, having been a commentator in the late 80s and early 90s. He has also hosted ‘Talkin Sport’ on 2SM (1269AM) for several years now.

Here is his team

Graham Eadie

Ken Irvine

Bob Fulton

Jamie Lyon

Michael O’Çonnor

Cliff Lyons

Johnny Mayes

John O’Neill

Max Krilich

Kevin Ward

Terry Randall

Steve Menzies

Malcolm Reilly

Interchange

Ben Kennedy

Ray Branighan

Brett Stewart

Brent Kite

Since I have been following Manly since the early 1980's, I'm going to pick my own team for each of the 3 1/2 decades....

1980's
Graham Eadie, Dale Shearer, Darrell Williams, Michael O'Connor, Kerry Boustead, Cliff Lyons, Des Hasler, Phil Daley, Mal Cochrane, Kevin Ward, Ron Gibbs, Noel Cleal, Paul Vautin. Res - Chris Close, Les Boyd

1990's
Matthew Ridge, Craig Hancock, Danny Moore, Terry Hill, John Hopoate, Cliff Lyons, Geoff Toovey, David Gillespie, Jim Serdaris, Mark Carroll, Steve Menzies, Daniel Gartner, Nik Kosef. Res - Des Hasler, Craig Innes, John Jones, Martin Bella.

2000's
Brett Stewart, Michael Robertson, Steven Bell, Steve Matai, Chris Hicks, Jamie Lyon, Matt Orford, Brent Kite, Matt Ballin, Josh Perry, Steve Menzies, Glenn Stewart, Ben Kennedy. Res - Michael Monaghan, Heath L'Estrange, Mark Bryant, Anthony Watmough.

2010's
Brett Stewart, Jorge Taufua, Jamie Lyon, Steve Matai, David Williams, Kieran Foran, Daly Cherry-Evans, Brent Kite, Matt Ballin, Joe Galuvao, Anthony Watmough, Jamie Buhrer, Glenn Stewart. Res - Tony Williams, Brenton Lawrence, Tom Symonds, Shane Rodney.

Last edited:
My Team for 1990-2015 (since I saw my first Manly game)

1 Brett Stewart
2 Michael Robertson
3 Jamie Lyon
4 Michael O'Connor
5 Will Hopoate
6 Cliff Lyons (1990 Dally M)
7 Matt Orford (2008 Dally M)
8 Mark Carroll
9 Geoff Toovey (c) (1996 Churchill)
10 Brent Kite (2008 Churchill)
11 Anthony Watmough
12 Ben Kennedy
13 Steve Menzies

14 Daly Cherry-Evans (2013 Churchill)
15 Nik Kosef
16 David Gillespie
17 Glenn Stewart (2011 Churchill)

Coach: Bob Fulton
Waterboy: Des Hasler

Maybe not the most balanced side but I decided I couldn't leave out any Dally M or Clive Churchill Medallists.

Good times!

Roy masters' selections

John dorahy
Phil sigsworth
Ray brown
Les Boyd
I have a huge chip on my shoulder, strangely I was born in manly yet have wasted most of my life hating, and somehow found the time to create the dirtiest tactics ever and phone in an incoherent article every now and again to the herald.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6