1500 Game Best Team

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
My team
1 Graham Eadie/Brett Stewart (can't split)
2 Ken Irvine
3 Jamie Lyon
4 Bob Fulton (c)
5 Michael O'Connor
6 Cliff Lyons
7 Geoff Toovey
13 Mal Reilly
12 Steve Menzies
11 Terry Randall
10 John O'Neill
9 Max Krilich
8 Kevin Ward

Interchange
Ian Roberts, Ben Kennedy, Roy Bull, Phil Blake, Paul Vautin/Glen Stewart (18th man)
Coach: Bob Fulton

The memories i have of Wombat was the way he tackled he would bend the back put the shoulder in and drive them back and put them on there back ,great stuff
1 player that i didnt see but i hear about is Wally O'çonnell was he the Ben Kennedy of yesteryear ??
Wally O'Connell was a diminutive 5/8, possibly more like the Tooves of his day, great defender, kangaroo, coached manly too. His book "in defence" is a good read

Here is Ritchie's team

1 Graham Eadie/Brett Stewart (could not split them)

2 Ken Irvine

3 Michael O'Connor

4 Bob Fulton (c)

5 Tom Mooney

6 Cliff Lyons

7 Geoff Toovey

13 Mal Reilly

12 Steve Menzies

11 Terry Randall

10 John O'Neill

9 Max Krilich

8 Kevin Ward

Interchange

Ian Roberts, Anthony Watmough, Des Hasler, Roy Bull, Paul Vautin (18th man)

Coach: Bob Fulton

For me:
1. Graham Eadie
2. Ken Irvine
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Bobby Fulton
5. Michael O'Connor
6. Cliff Lyons
7. Geoff Toovey
13. Mal Reilly
12. Steve Menzies
11. Terry Randall
10. John O'Neill
9. Max Krilich
8. Kevin Ward

14. Des Hasler
15. Les Boyd
16. Noel Cleal
17. Ian Martin

I wonder if every NRL team posted their all time best sides, how manly would fair? Looking at the sides posted - pretty well!

One thing I found interesting was looking back at our history of all time great players, the easiest position to pick were the halves - as there hasn't been that many "unbelievable" halves play for Manly - compared to say picking the outside backs and forward's positions. Goes to show truly great halves don't come around that often....

One thing I found interesting was looking back at our history of all time great players, the easiest position to pick were the halves - as there hasn't been that many "unbelievable" halves play for Manly - compared to say picking the outside backs and forward's positions. Goes to show truly great halves don't come around that often....
We have had some good ones, but Tooves and Cliffy are standouts. I rated Gibbsy, Steve Martin, Mayes, Junee, Thomo, O'Connell, Ian Martin, Blakey, Rick Chisholm, Eden, Gary Stephens...list goes on

My favourite team ( not the best, but my faves in each position)

Eadie
Simon Booth
Jamie Lyon
Steve Matai
Craig Hancock
Cliffy
Phil Blake
Ian Martin
Ian Roberts
Beaver
Rex Mossop
Mal cochrane
Terry Randall

Bench Fatty, Tooves, Stuart Davis, Ron Gibbs

Edit; moose in for ward

Last edited:

Eadie
Simon Booth
Jamie Lyon
Steve Matai
Craig Hancock
Cliffy
Phil Blake
Ian Martin
Ian Roberts
Beaver
Kevin ward
Mal cochrane
Terry Randall

An early favourite of mine was Franky Stokes. I was 6 when he was getting around I absolutely loved him.

Eadie
Simon Booth
Jamie Lyon
Steve Matai
Craig Hancock
Cliffy
Phil Blake
Ian Martin
Ian Roberts
Beaver
Kevin ward
Mal cochrane
Terry Randall

Yes mate craig Hancock a very underated player . A bit like my favorite winger micheal Robertson.

So many great players. So many great teams. So many great memories. I feel sorry for supporters of other teams. They just don't know what they have missed out on.
Go Manly!

good players yes, none were unbelievable though.

How old are you Simon??? Just asking...

Hi Wombat, 35 mate. Been supporting the team since I was 10 (so really cannot comment on a few of those past players) 1990 was when I began to follow the eagles and obviously Tooves just started and Cliffy, Hasler were there back then. I was just making a point Tooves seems to be everyone's first pick (great player yes, but not an all time legend compared to Johns, Lewis, Sterlo, Thurston, etc)

Had a hard time picking the rest though as there are a few immortals in that team and had a host of sensational outside backs and quality forwards and many great players couldn't make the cut!

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2